Eve V vs. Competition!

I think they still have too many SP4.

Seriously? That’s just… wow. Windows has a setting for it, why would they “hide” this sensor from Windows?

When I used the surface book, I was able to adjust the brightness manually. The setting that was at the store when I used it was on maximum brightness and it was brighter than the SP4.

In addition, the unit I tried had the ability to lower the backlight on the screen so that it was dimmer than the lowest setting on the SP4.

Overall, I felt the screen was superior to the SP4 in all ways.

New Surface book preorders in UK

UPDATE Look at the pricing - all i7

SSD 256 and 8GB = UK£ 2249
SSD 512 and 16GB = UK£ 2699
SSD1TB and 16GB = UK£ 3149

which suggests even with MS buying power - (and perhaps premium pricing) a very large jump for 1TB

They obviously upgraded the battery - 4 h more than the previous surface book. But the price is still pretty high…

@SpeedyS you seem to be right, when you say they probably have too many sp4 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: at least the delay is not due to the availability of the kaby lake processor! :smiley:

Oh, the performance base. I thought really new :sweat_smile:

Just seen that it’s also possible to preorder it in Germany. So, I guess, it’s available soon in the whole EU (or in the big countries at least).

I know it’s pretty obvious for probably anyone reading this topic, but just for precision sake, the last two models are 16GB RAM.
I am not really surprised by MS prices anymore, still those prices are very, very high… Personally, I don’t see the Surface Book as a direct competitor for the V (I think SP4/SP5 are the direct alternative), but indeed they once more underline that the Eve-V i7 was a terrific deal at IGG prices.

Since MSP5 is still not around, why not compare it to the new Lenovo Miix 720 and even the lower speced Samsung Galaxy Book? or the powerful Wacom Mobile Studio Pro?

Beat them… beat them overpriced gadgets!

Eve’s price advantage has vanished rapidly. Laptop prices fall very quickly, my bother just bought a Dell XPS 13" 2 in 1 for $2000 CDN (Canadian Dollars) or $1493 USD. The Dell has a U class processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.

Laptop based 2-in-1s should be cheaper. It’s much easier to build them. We should compare the price of the V to other tablet based 2-in-1s. To make a ridiculous example: Any desktop in the same price range has better specs than the V :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind sharing your source? Because AFAIK the XPS 13 2-in-1 is only available with either i5-7Y54 or i7-7Y75, the identical ones used in the Eve V.

He made a good deal compared to regular prices on dell.ca (does that price include taxes?), which for that model (with full HD screen) is $2400 CAD, taxes excluded.
However, out of curiosity, did he really get a Dell XPS 13’’ 2 in 1 (current generation 7th generation processor?) with a U-class processor, as you reported? I ask this because all the models descriptions on dell.ca are with 5Yxx or 7Yxx processors (link).
I suspect this is the case also looking at the battery size (46Whr), which is actually smaller than that inside the Eve-V.

However it is the case, I concur with @SyrtakiVampir, the Dell 2-in-1 is a different class of device compared to the Eve-V tablet computer. I find it hard to argue that the price advantage of the V has vanished because of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1… :wink:

I’ll follow up with him, he was over for the weekend and he mentioned it.

I hope he’s wrong. I asked him twice if it was a 2 in 1 and he said yes but he wasn’t sure if the keyboard was detachable or not. He got it on sale for $500CDN off so it was originally $2500CDN excluding taxes. I have a feeling it is U class but maybe not 7th generation but it definetly was 512GB SSD with 16GB of ram.

Yeah Dell’s latest 2in1 does not have U CPU. Also it has quote cheap hardware inside as well as its screen is quote miserable. In Europe it is over 2k for configuration you mentioned. Here is the pricing for 512gb/8gb model sold by one of the biggest computer retailers in finland

The only thing I know is that we used as good components as we could get and we sold Indiegogo units at production price basically. Also we are quite sure that big players would not get device with our specifications at much cheaper price (they might save 5% due to volume) but then they huge overheads and retail pricing.

Yes, you can turn off automatic brightness and it does turn off completely in every case. I have had Fall Update, Anniversary Update, and now Creators Update and it has worked consistently and faithfully. This has been the case for the hundreds of Surface Pro 4 users in the forum I normally frequent (TabletPCReview Forum) as well.

This was his order information:

Subtotal: $2,599.99
Order Level Promotion: -$444.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Environmental Disposal Fee: $1.00
PST: $0.00
GST: $0.00
HST: $280.41 (tax)
Total Amount: $2,437.40

210-AJJH XPS13 MLK (9360)
370-ACTJ 16GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
580-AFNU Backlit Keyboard, English
490-BDFO Intel® HD Graphics
555-BDEV N1535 Wireless Driver
400-ANYF 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD
619-AHCY Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English
555-BCRM Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
340-AAMU E5 Power Cord for 3-pin Adapter (US/China)
340-AGIK Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)
801-1596 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
801-1643 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
631-ABDI XPS 13 Systems Managment Software
340-BIWO Placemat (English, French, Portuguese - Brazilian, Spanish, Dutch) Win10 Ubuntu
332-0550 Dell.com Order
451-BBXF 60WHr Integrated Battery
338-BJVG 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (4MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
332-1530 Dell.com Order
320-BCDJ Silver
340-BJLM Shipping Material
998-CCYY Fixed Hardware Configuration
817-BBBP None Required
389-BLST Intel® Core™ i7 Label
391-BCUP 13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch display, Silver
658-BCSB Microsoft® Office 30 Days Trial
658-BCUJ Additional Software
525-0036 McAfee Live Safe XPS 12 Month Subscription
658-BCCO McAfee 30day Trial
450-ABEN 45 Watt AC Adapter
340-ACQQ No Option Included

Doesn’t sound like a 2 in 1 though…

Pretty sure that is the normal XPS 13 and not the 2 in 1.

I think so too - just a xps 13 with touch display but not a 2in1

Googling this number:

gave me this:

So it appears it doesn’t even have a touchscreen :wink:

You are correct, the normal XPS 13 model number is 9360, while the 2in1 XPS 13 model number is 9365, which means he ordered the regular XPS 13.