EVE V Stand with modular dock

dock

Hi, guys I posted earlier in the [Donald Dock][Step 2.2] [SUMMARY/DISCUSSION] Potential product type thread but decided I’d open my own given that the discussion got a bit long. I’ve also added numerous modifications based on feedback.

Anyway, so my idea is to have a ergonomic rotating stand that the V docks into and then a modular docking unit which can be fitted at the base. This will allow for portability and for more stationary use.

As for the stand itself:

• It’s more ergonomic and allows the user to use the V as both an extra screen in portrait mode(too bad to not use that wonderful screen anyway)
  • It allows for easy pen input. Which means the V can be used as a drawing tablet beside normal office monitors.
  • It’s an integrated solution quite like the Microsoft Studio, except with a smaller screen.

Cons:

• Expensive. I can’t give any figures but it requires substantial amount of mechanical moving parts, each that will need to be developed, calibrated for proper friction and machined within tolerances.
  • Not for everyone. Quoted as a bit overkill.
  • Might need a lock mechanism for the motions as the hinges might not be stiff enough to draw comfortably on. Then again the new Surface Book 2 and Surface Studio seems to do that without too much trouble.

I made some 3D files:

!

• Notice that the V is fastened using the keyboard slot and by fasteners on the sides that fit into the USB-C ports and ONE USB A port(only one as some people expressed a wish for one port to be left unused so the V could be undocked while a peripheral was still attached).
  • The slot at the base is for the modular dock. Sizes and dimensions for this can be edited as well as the ports. I’m just bringing up a form factor idea.
  • The ports are either put passthrough to the dock, or their bandwidth is used for the dock’s ports. I imagine there will be male USB outputs at the back of the base that go into the dock. This also opens up possibilities for extension cords so the dock itself could be placed behind the base(for example if you want the V close for drawing but still in the stand)
  • The stand can be put completely horizontally in line with the base.
  • Holes can be machined into the two plates for cooling purposes.
  • Yes I were too lazy to make the USB-C plugs on the right side.

Rotation:

Close up of notch for the single USB A port(note that it’s a bit misaligned. And that it might be better to forego the “frames” alltogether. As I don’t have the V in CAD files I just made some assumptions to placement and such.
Capture

Well, that’s it. Idea shared :slight_smile: Now I can feel like I managed to do something productive with my day instead of laying in bed worrying about Solid dynamics and Engineering Mathematics… (this is really procrastinating to be fair tho)

[Donald Dock][Step 2.2] [SUMMARY/DISCUSSION] Potential product type
Project DDDD aka. turn your V into a Surface Studio

Thanks for these drawings. Theres a lot of time you spend for it…

But, and I’m very sorry to say that, there are some reasons this won’t be done by eve (IMO).

It’s too “Surface Studio” like. The Hinge mechanism of Surface Studio needs a lot of engineering https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/31/13478080/microsoft-surface-studio-design-engineering-interview and hundreds of hours to adjust the weight of the rotating plate to have this weightless feeling of Surface Studio. This maybe can’t be done by the small eve team.

It’s too “Surface Studio” like. We shouldn’t copy ideas from other brands (I know that the V is a copy with some extra benefits, too).

It’s too “Surface Studio” like. Why are there lots of Surface Pro- like devices at the market, but no Surface Studio like devices of other brands? Maybe they don’t see the quantity to sell them…

It’s only for the V. Make it modular to fit every 2in 1 (what is impossible because of the distribution of weight issue). Eve shouldn’t make a accessory just for the V because it will limit their numbers. Others than V owners should be getting interested in this product (maybe people who didn’t even know about eve and buy a V later).

Please don’t feel discouraged by my post, maybe I’m totally wrong, but I’ve seen your topic is 5 hours old and nobody replied (only some of those weird “likes” nobody knows if they are a “agree” or a “I appreciate your effort” or a real “i really like this concept”).

its too similar like surface studio… but your drawing is very nice! I love it! Keep it up! :smiley:

Those are reasonable points to bring up. I only liked it because this seems the best design I’ve seen so far. I would not get it because it wouldn’t be financially responsible to just blow money on something I don’t need.
The main reason I think this shouldn’t be made is that we should let Eve come out with actual devices not accessories. That’s just how I feel. I’d rather them make laptops and eGPUs rather than accessories to them.

But you can do that without a stand…

Yup, absolutely :slight_smile:

Even better, you could leave both USB ports open :slight_smile: That would make it just a tiny bit asymmetrical, but I wouldn’t mind it and I think nobody really would.

Maybe they’re blind :wink: That happens. And Eve should not be blind too just because everyone else is blind. There is always someone “first” who wakes up and sees there is a market for something. And this would be different from Surface Studio because it’s modular and you can detach the tablet.

What makes me think about a nice scenario (unfortunately not for eve): MS should build a dock like that for the 15’’ SurfaceBook. Connect the tablet part to the Dock with the arms (with the SufaceBook connector at the bottom) and the keyboard (and GPU) part to the base… I would buy and use it…

This is precisely what I was thinking :slight_smile: , that’s why I mentioned it he other thread that it would be good to keep this idea in mind when we redo the V.

The only real problem with this design is it’s too V specific, if we come up with a universal connector at the bottom of all future eve tablets (similar to the surface book but based on usb-c) then we can have multiple keyboard types and also a cool stand that works with all eve tablets.

USB-C thunderbolt 3!!!

USB-C would take too long to attach… Pogo pins are much faster. It’s also hard to aim those long connectors to the port before attaching…

He said “based on”. I understand it like pogo pin uses USB-C protocol…

USB-C is not a protocol. It’s a physical connector. Maybe he meant USB 3.1?

I appreciate the effort and it’s great to brainstorm ideas, however I personally can’t see myself using this as I value portability around the house, plus keeping away from the idea of “a PC in the corner of the room”

I am happy to stick with the regular kickstand built into the V

While I agree this is true with cables, it isn’t necessarily true for slide in docks, alot of phone docks use micro USB and they work fine, Yeah I definitely agree it’s not a simple as pogo pins but its not terrible either.

@dibadibadu sorry I actually ment the usb-c connector, I guess eve could develop a proprietary connector but that’s seems unnecessary.

That would make a cool media device tho, as in a future device. That is pretty much what my mom uses her computer for.

Hi guys, sorry for not being active in my own thread. Managed to burn myself out on studies so weren’t in a talkative mood for a few days.

People bring up good points, and as @Xinjie has explained in the Step 3.1 of Donald Dock thread this design is simply not viable and there’s little reason to keep on arguing on something that’s been closed off.

It’s too bad, but the truth is that a dock like this will probably always be tied to one specific product unless Eve makes all devices in a similar form factor. Even if it’s technically possible to make a separate holding mechanism for different sized devices the potential weight difference would make it very hard to have a consistent mechanical behavior. With the modular dock idea also dead it’s another nail in the coffin for those that might have wanted to combine this with a more portable dock.

So yeah, thank you guys for your support and feedback of my work :slight_smile: If nothing it’s been interesting to have taken part of a design process :slight_smile:

This is what I wanted when I heard the word “dock”. It’s magnificent :heart_eyes:

That design is fantastic! I would suggest some improvements:

The design points should include:
a. Universal: Supports most laptops and tablets
b. Despite being universal, docking and undocking has to be firm yet effortless
c. Allows the flexible angle just like the Surface Studio
d. It has to hold the set angle firmly, and only moves when the user wants to

First improvement I would make is to use a single USB-C angled cable instead of fixed-position USB ports, which allows better compatibility with other tablets and laptops.

Similar to your concept, the cable would then be routed internally to the docking station module.

The challenging part for the hinge, from what I see, is a) it has to be able to get propped up to any possible angle, b) the set angle has to be held firmly, allowing even the heaviest stroke from the pen when drawing, and c) when the user intended, the movement could be done effortlessly.

In my opinion, the best solution would be the mechanism that borrows from the motorized seat or steering wheel adjustment from luxury cars, where they can withstand even the largest impact like car crashes, while daily adjustment is extremely simple and intuitive. The controls could be done via intuitive buttons which, once again, the idea borrowed from automobiles.

(seat adjustment in Mercedes-Benz CLS 350)

And of course, just like electronic seat adjustment in cars, you can save several “presets” for your favorite positions.

For clamping the device down firmly, I would use similar method, clamping from the side, but instead using rubber friction or similar material to hold it in place to maximize compatibility. The way it works will be similar to various phone docking station in cars

The difference is the traditional mechanism requires a lot of force from the users (especially when the spring has to be strong to hold a tablet/laptop instead of a phone). It also requires two hands to operate. hat is not the case here. Both “arms” on the sides are rubberized or features a high-friction material to hold the device firmly. When the tablet or laptop is placed on top of the dock, the “arms” will start moving towards the device electronically, until it senses that it has hold the device firmly. No user involvement required. The theory is similar to the seatbelt pretensioner in Mercedes-Benz automobiles (known as "Mercedes hug” informally), where after the user wears the seatbelt, a motor would pull the seatbelt to make sure that the seatbelt is not worn loose.

arms
(arms highlighted in red)

The challenging part of this mechanism is that the arms a) should not damage the device, b) have to hold the device firmly to prevent it from sliding and/or falling, and c) the device should be able to be removed/detached from the dock when no power is available (e.g. in power outage)

Like the idea, but as stated before it’s not universal enough to be really viable. Also the way every hinge works is very tricky to get right, as stated by @dibadibadu

I like to bring up another issue with this: The V is to small. This design makes sense when it comes down to a iMac and Surface Studio formfactor, not when it comes down to the V. Can you imagine placing a regular A4 paper instead of the V and draw on it with a pencil or pen? If you would want to use the V in portrait mode as an extra screen, simple solutions would suffice. http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0505174_PE633769_S5.JPG would do the trick as well. (ikea website is offline at my end so can’t go to product page).

I managed to solve both the issues:

Universal: With friction clamps on either side, it will be compatible with virtually any tablet or laptop, just like how car smartphone mounts work.

Hinges: If we go with motorized hinge, weightless-feel is no longer an issue. The motor will take care of the weight and all the movements. I agree though to make it effortless to move and stay firmly in place is very tricky without a motor.

Actually yes, people are using drawing tablets (e.g. Wacom Intuos) thats sized like the V or an A4 paper. There are even smaller models. Its not that uncommon even in professional setting. The idea is that you can have the V as a drawing tablet, secondary monitor, or anywhere inbetween within a push of a button.