Eve V maximum charging power draw

I know that Eve V will charge using USB power delivery, but what will be the maximum power draw?

I’m considering buying a thunderbolt 3 docking station with power delivery, and they tend to have different charging capacities.

E.g.:
CalDigit TS3 - 85W
Plugable TBT3-UDV - 60W

What should I buy to make sure that Eve V charges as fast as possible? (This question is also relevant for using simple custom chargers)

While I don’t have the exact specifications on my mind, if I recall correctly it’s below 60W.

I’m 100% certain it’s at least 24W as well, as the prototype charger (not final) did deliver 12V 2A.

Finally, it completely depends on what those 2 docs provide in terms of USB-PD voltages - if they both ‘only’ provide 5V and 20V, then the V would likely fall back on the 5V and thus not charge completely.

This is due to some USB-PD stuff that basically states, that you don’t have to have any voltage (I think except 5V) - so it is not ensured that they can charge the V at the maximum rate.

I don’t have a prototype on me anymore, nor did I have a USB-Twinkie on hand, but I think the V should also charge with 15V as my Switch USB-C charger did charge my V (bear in mind it could also just have fallen back to the 5V)

I see, so the correct question to ask is which exact power profiles does Eve V support.

Ok, so I did some quick research, it depends whether dock / charger / Eve is power delivery 1.0 or power delivery 2.0 (and whether the manufacturer correctly supports the standard)

PD 1.0:
5V@3A max (15W)
12V@3A max (36W)
20V@3A max (60W)

PD 2.0:
5V@3A max (15W)
9V@3A max (27W)
15V@3A max (45W)
20V@5A max (100W)

But there are exceptions, such as 87W Mac Charger, which seems to be PD 2.0, but only offer 5V, 9V and 20V (no 15V).

So the question is which exact voltages are supported by the dock/charger and Eve V (current can be variable).

The V charger (as well as the V itself) should follow the standard to 2.0 specifications.

And I wadded through the PD-specsheet the 2.0 profiles you found are the recommended ones, 'though you don’t have to actually support them as far as I read out of the 2.0 spec.

Which e.g. explains why the Apple charger skips the 15V as there’s no Apple device right now (and seemingly no planned one) to go between 27W and 45W power consumption :slight_smile: Worst comes to worst I think in the PD-specsheet they elaborate that you should anyways support 20V@2A for starters, so it’s even 40W :wink:

I have been asking this for more than 6 months. The specification seems to shift and/or be uncertain.

The original wattage I saw was 27W. Then I heard 36W minimum. As far as I understand (and supporting your statement), devices are allowed to support whichever combinations they want, with the 5V/3A being the one that is common across all devices.

I think this is why I (and probably) others are asking what the official voltages are, rather than estimates.

We did say our charger supports up to 27W - as we upgraded the charger we upgraded that. Up to this point we’ve never mentioned the maximum charging rate for the V - and I’ve not got the spec for that on me unfortunately.

Someone from the team later said 36W too… Maybe even 45W, but I can’t remember that for sure.
Anyway, 60W should be more than enough. And since V has a bit less than 50Wh battery it needs 25W to charge in 2 hours while turned off. While turned on it would take something like 30W. So while we don’t know the exact maximum, I think fuly charging a tablet in 2 hours is quite good so 36W should do :smiley: