Eve V IGG Pricing and Experience

Now that the production of the remaining LB and HEB upgrades has come to an end and these devices are about to ship, how do owners of such devices feel about their experiences with the Eve IGG campaign? Would you go through it again for a similar tech product or have the countless delays robbed you of your trust? I bought into the campaign because I liked the concept of a community-built 2-in-1 and also because at the time, the V was very well priced. Given that so much time has gone by now though and I’m still yet to receive my device, I do feel a bit duped and I personally don’t think I’d go through it again. I paid $1407 AUD (actual amount charged in Nov 2016/Feb 2017) for my IGG LB i5 with 256GB SSD. The same device can be purchased on through the web shop for $1199 USD (which is about $1487 USD today). Was the one year delay worth an $80 saving and components that are no longer as cutting edge as they would have been 10 months ago? Not for me. I’m glad that Eve has been able to learn a lot from the process and that the device was actually built and that the campaign was not a total write-off to be clear. It’s been a roller coaster though and I will be happy to get off the ride - hopefully in the not too distant future.

I think that the IGG campaign was great at the time, although the one year delay was off-putting (to some extent), the Eve team still managed to deliver a great product. For a crowdfunding project, I’d say this is a pretty good experience (Seeing as there are far more projects out there that got shelved or never shipped.)

Maybe, it would depend if this tech product has something that is absolutely necessary to my everyday work. I wouldn’t say that the team robbed us of our trust though, they have tried to be as transparent as possible during the development and manufacturing process and despite having some mishaps on the way, they have done their best and I think that deserves a good old :+1:

Understandable, I felt the same for some time.

Only the Intel chip is what’s become somewhat obsolete, the rest seems fine to me IMO.

Me too! Hope you enjoy your V when it arrives!

Thanks for sharing that the hardware is outdated and your opinion of how the device holds up as a measure assessment of the value of your purchase before you’ve received your product, i’m sure people will find that useful.

Thanks for sharing that the components are no longer as cutting edge as they would have been ten months ago and the dollar value of your purchase at current exchange rates as an assessment of the experience before you’ve received the product, i’m sure people will find that useful.

:sweat_smile:lol… we’re in the same boat. I get a refund now im gonna lose about AUD$500 cause the the auzzie dollaris doing to well.

The AUD / $ rate is not the same as when you decided to pay when I remember right.
World wide money stuff as inflation pushes us sometimes close to comparing apples with apples who became close to pears in our waiting year.

Similar here in Canada …

I said the components are no longer as cutting edge as they would have been ten months ago. I did not say the hardware is outdated as you so plainly put it.

I also didn’t offer anything that I was hoping people would find useful. I offered my personal opinion as a backer and asked people for their opinions. I was also referring more to the overall experience of the campaign, not the product itself.

I would say thanks for your opinion, but you haven’t offered one. You’ve just shelled out useless drabs of sarcasm. I’m sure people will find that useful.

That’s true. If things when differently with the conversion rate then the saving may have been much better (or much worse). No idea what the difference would have been if the project completed on time, but as you say, it’s not a fair comparison in any case.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. It’s good to hear from others in a similar boat to see what their perspectives are. I wasn’t trying to infer that it is the teams fault for all of the delays, but I can see how that link would be made.

You’re right on the money though about the countless IGG campaigns that never come to fruition. It’s been a good learning opportunity for everyone involved I think.

Agreed, the main contributing factor for the delay is the screens. (Damn the original supplier, whoever they were XD)

You’re right, i’m sorry, i have amended the original reply to reflect your feedback.

I wasn’t sure if you objected to my assertion that people would find that helpful or not, but i included it anyway. Do let me know if i you have any further changes to suggest.

After the V process all of us know more than before. But this can’t change any decision about another IGG purchase because they are all different. I wouldn’t have backed the V as HEB with money I need and my SP3 is working until today so I didn’t had pressure to buy a new PC… For me this journey was so entertaining and full of new things to learn and new people to meet that I won’t miss this year of waiting…

We ended up with a +++++++++ first in class screen though :slight_smile:

As @dibadibadu said, I wouldn’t have ‘backed the V’ if I were intending to ‘buy a product’ that I needed on a particular time schedule. I contributed because I really like the idea of a community developed 2-in-1 and the opportunity to discuss (and often just listen to) ideas about what it could/should be. In particular I wanted something that was reasonably open and not full of bloatware.

I had an issue with my original delivery, but I’ve just received the replacement which is so far working fine. So, I’ve experienced the same delays as most everyone in these forums. Yes, they were disappointing – and while there were a few occasions where I think information from someone on the team was a bit slow in coming, I think most of the time they did a pretty good job. And I’m convinced they were trying very hard to keep us informed, and balance their time putting out fires, and being transparent.

Would I back another IGG project like this? Probably – if it was something I was interested in, and saw the benefit of. Would I expect delays and frustrations associated with it? Undoubtedly! But I would be preparted for that (even more now) going in.

Now that the production of the remaining LB and HEB upgrades has come to an end and these devices are about to ship, how do owners of such devices feel about their experiences with the Eve IGG campaign?

The Eve V campaign was exciting. I loved the idea of buying a computer that not only didn’t have a big name associated with it, but had a community of people suggesting its path.

Would you go through it again for a similar tech product or have the countless delays robbed you of your trust?

Probably. As a project manager, I understand what it takes to coordinate such a project and that delays are inevitable. I believe these delays could have been handled a bit better by the team if they used proper PM protocols and planning. However, for a team of people limited in that skill-set, they did their best. If I were to do it again, I’d seek an opportunity to join the team in a PM role.

Was the one year delay worth an $80 saving and components that are no longer as cutting edge as they would have been 10 months ago? Not for me.

In my previous answers, I think it evident that money or cost weren’t a driving factor for me to join this project. I joined it late so I didn’t get to contribute as much as others. However, I did find it an exciting opportunity to be a part of something more than just picking up a 2-in-1 at the store.

It’s been a roller coaster though and I will be happy to get off the ride - hopefully in the not too distant future.

I’m with you there. Can’t wait to get my hands on the V!

I never suggested any changes. It’s a community forum where you’re free to write whatever you want. I appreciate your valuable comments and respect the benefits that your incredible wit has added to this discussion supreme leader. Without you, we are forever lost.

Thanks for sharing, that’s an interesting outlook. Do you think if you hadn’t have backed as a HEB that you would consider buying the device now in the web shop after following Eve’s journey as a show of support or would you just keep the SP3 around until it eventually dies?

Yeah I saw your story with your V and the replacement that followed. A great result there and a pretty quick turnaround all things considered.

I too was largely drawn in by the idea of the community developed 2-in-1, and I wonder if any of the major players followed any of the journey and took notes along the way, or even just at the end. It’s good to shake up the norm and try things a different way.

I also agree about Eve being as transparent as possible and also think that they were trying very hard. They had no reason to do anything other than that and copped a lot of heat along the way, when it would have been much easier to close up shop and drop the project like many before them.

Thanks for the comments Rich. Good perspective from a PM. People often underestimate the value add that proper PM protocols bring to a project. As a systems engineer I appreciate where you’re coming from and think that there’s plenty of opportunities to explore that avenue moving forward for similar projects.

If I hadn’t have backed the V I would own a i5 256GB SP4 now… Just because I had that money end of 2016/beginning 2017 and I had my SP3 for two years then… But I’m really happy about my decision and luck back in November '16 that I had the chance to get a i7 512GB for that money…