Eve V design concepts revealed

I personally like Better Up and Workhorse.
Like to have the ports down. Didn’t like Adapters hanging in the Air, as it did on the old.Only the mini Jack, makes sense up.
Like the concept of accessibility. Especially SSD…
Still wish, there is a origami Ethernet port…would save a lot of adapter needs for on the go.

I don’t mind cooling underneath the Kickstand. Have the Kickstand open anyway, when doing heavier work or Games…

Personally don’t mind a design change, like in Better Up…

3 Likes

Reading through all the comments now I had made an assumption that one of the USB-C ports would also be a thunderbolt port. But they are all right there is no mention of thunderbolt.
I think that is a poor design decision as many of the connectivity devices (hubs, displays, power+ devices) are thunderbolt designed. It should definitely have thunderbolt.

Reading some of the comments here, I decided to make some changes to my design. I moved the headphone jack to the bottom, put the power button on the side above the fingerprint reader, and added a USB C and USB A port. Thunderbolt 3 is an Intel thing, but hopefully AMD will be able to use it soon because putting a Ryzen 4000 CPU in the V would be cool.

5 Likes

I mostly leaned toward the Better Up because a “hackable” more modular design is as close to the mythical concept of “futureproof” that we could hope for. Many may not need to upgrade RAM, but I agree with what has been said previously that it allows for more efficient buying by purchasing the minimum needed at first and gradually upgrading as RAM prices drop and needs increase-- which smooths out the transition toward the next EVE, rather than making people jump ship to another product or clamor for more frequent, incremental improvements that strain budgets.

By a similar token, SSD that can be upgraded is mandatory. As long as all three have a means to do at least that, I can find peace with whatever choice is made. However, this is the hill I will die on. If user-replaceable SSD is not a feature, I can’t be on board.

I also would like to see some security improvements:

By now, many people are buying stick-on slides to cover cameras that are not in use. Something integrated would skip a step for many and possibly work better.

I also had a weird thought regarding the fingerprint scanner. What if the scanner and power button occupied the same space, but were not the same button? So, I had two possible rough ideas on this. One is to cover the power button with a door/flap that contains the reader on the underside. When the flap is opened, the power button and reader are perpendicular and would reduce accidental power offs and other similar issues. The other idea would be to have something like flap (a slide might also work), but the reader would be on the top of the flap/slide, simply moving out of the way altogether to reveal the power button.

I realize these options as I’ve presented them could be very impractical for a host of reasons, but maybe they could inspire a technical designer to revisit the power/reader combo in a new way.

A third idea could be something akin to the hardware keys used in the K1 Impulse (not endorsing this phone or Karatbars). I like the security of having two hardware keys (one backup), and then a third that works like a seed phrase for recovery. This would be a great way to make encrypted drives more of a default for the general user, rather than a tricky setup aimed at security professionals.

5 Likes

I think it’s really important for the ports to not be in the way of holding the device in your hands, like the Powerhouse. I like the heat dissipation idea of the Workhorse. I like the accessibility of the Better Up. Since I can always use my phone as a hotspot, I’ve discovered that LTE is not necessary, pretty much ever. It’s just not worth it.

3 Likes

There was a greater percentage of people voting for a passively cooled device on the other post. Therefore it’s likely that the new Eve V will be using a low TDP processor. Intel has it’s new y offerings which has respectable single-threaded performance. I have no idea about AMD’s offerings though. Then again, Microsoft has been able to cool their i5 versions of the Surface Pro Passively.

The Z Canvas’s PCB and fans takes a lot of room compromising the battery despite excellent airflow. I’d be more concerned about battery life than fan noise.

Workhorse’s design has screws underneath the kickstand which will lift the entire screen off making the device servicable. I find that a bit more elegant than having exposed screws on top.

All of the designs above use front facing speakers. It’s just a matter of where to place them.

There is no need to compromise port location when you can just add a pillowed curve in the aluminum chassis underneath the kickstand which will then act as a small lip to expand the kickstand.

There was a mention in a previous post that the new Eve V should be able to support USB4. All the newer Intel CPU’s have Thunderbolt built in so It would make sense for Eve to use Intel instead of AMD. Then again I could be wrong and we’ll all be in a treat.

Definitely an IR camera in the event that the fingerprint sensor in the power button fails.

Now,
For cooling the device, Eve should consider using the design of Better Up’s front but use the back of Workhorse’s with the Cooling dissipation. Instead of having the speakers & acoustic chamber span the entire length of the device, have it so that it only occupies a small portion while the rest are vents for said device. See below (ignore ports):

It should make it better looking than having large vents directly on the side. Although I’m not too sure about how much air will be dissipated when the vents would be really slim if we’re following the picture.

With the heat dissipation area at the bottom in Workhorse’s design, I’m guessing the Motherboard’s PCB is at the bottom (Which is cool since I proposed the idea in another post). With that in mind, if Eve were to use the above image and use vents we could have the internals roughly looking like this:

Most devices with made of aluminum use the entire chassis to cool the device down. I’m not too sure how the heat dissipation area will work then. It could be vents that expose air (a little bit concerned about dust in that case).

Or it could be some sort of convection cooling fins similar to those in a PC:

Additionally, Eve could put another heatsink or vapor chamber on top of the Motherboard again. We could also play around with using Liquid Metal instead of thermal paste to have additional heat transfer. I believe the new Asus Gaming Laptops use Liquid Metal in them.

8 Likes

I think a replaceable battery would be a massive feature that the competition doesn’t typically support.

Also, I wonder if two models could be released: An actively cooled device, and a passively cooled device.

6 Likes

I have always though of “V” as innovative . I see use of best use of what is presently available but innovation?

1 Like

I wouldn’t stress about Thunderbolt. These are just general design renders. There’s been a lot of talk about TB3, TB4 and USB4 so I think we can be confident that Eve isn’t going to fail anyone on this.

3 Likes

Batteries do not like too much heat, heat spreader under battery is not good idea.

2 Likes

For me, the dream 2 in 1 focuses more on performance than expandability, while looking good.
Thankfully, since the original Eve V, AMD have come with some great SoC options, granting better performance per watt than the intel offerings.
I truly hope the next Eve V will have a 4 core AMD apu (CPU with onboard radion GPU)
I suspect doing stuff like Photoshop on the go will be a dream on such a machine

5 Likes

It would be great to have more connectivity. I would like to see Bluetooth 5.0 minimum and a way to broadcast to a projector or another screen

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I kinda stopped paying attention after I saw “SSD Hatch” in the Powerhouse, especially since there was none in the other options. Drive accessibility is the feature I use most in my (growing steadily more ancient) ThinkPad.

Until Microsoft can completely sandbox the Windows system, interchangable drives are how I keep things safe and get things done. Is a “hatch” the perfect solution for my very specific need? I don’t see how, but it at least creates possibilities.

1 Like

The rounded corners of the bottom edge of V’s kickstand panel give it a little compound curvature, which must contribute to making the kickstand less flexible, a minute but perceptible improvement to the tablet’s feeling of quality, IMO.

Both the WORKHOUSE and the BETTER UP offer ssd upgradability. The user can access the storage by removing the screws on the backside.

2 Likes

we still have Thunder 3,do we?
i really want use it for same gaming

2 Likes

What are you doing that requires you to change an SSD so often? For most users it would be a one-time upgrade so having to open it completely wouldn’t really be a problem.

3 Likes

We’re talking about a rectangle with a screen the little details really don’t make a large difference. Everyone will have their own prefence in button placement and specs. Instead focus on things that matter like giving it a good keyboard as it is the primary interface for any real work on the device.

Great question.
Windows applications seem to revel at hogging as many background resources as possible no matter what user profile you are using; and with resource intensive apps, keeping processes clear kept my machine working at its peak. Dual-booting never seemed to work satisfactorily for me as advertised, so when I discovered that my ThinkPad had only a little plate covering the SSD and that by removing that cover I could plug in an SSD with an entirely isolated version of Windows with only the apps installed that I need for that workflow, it solved every problem I had. I could have an SSD for basic things like correspondence, research, entertainment, whatever. While I am naturally careful, there’s a lot floating out there in the wild. I can’t afford to have my production machine go down or get clogged up. So, when I’m working on my content, all I have to do is shut the machine down, pull the one drive, slide in the next with only its specialized apps, and I’m back in business.

Basically, I don’t have to sacrifice having a stable production machine every time I want to try out new or beta software, or visit a new website. I don’t need two machines, just two SSDs. The only downside is MS updates can be a pain because I have to do it twice, but it’s less so now. Updates create far less downtime than it used to. So I use SSD’s like game cartridges. I love it.

Switching M.2 vs 2.5 may not end up being as straightforward, but, because of their smaller profile, it potentially could be. So, I imagine a lot of the ease will depend on implementation. But, if exchanging drives becomes a time and labor intensive hassle, it could end up nullifying the advantages and that would be sad for me. Maybe my ThinkPad is just a unicorn (but an old one). I keep hoping one day the stars will align and another unicorn will come around. I mean, Lenovo certainly didn’t care squat about me or intended that I use the drive bay that way when they designed my laptop, but there it was. Perfect. So, I’m hoping…

3 Likes

Windows has a legit “Project” feature built in. Works on my really old samsung smart tv and a newer lg tv. You can also cast from one windows device to another. I use it instead of hdmi cables and it works great.

3 Likes