Eve V design concepts revealed

Hello Community :sunglasses:

A new important step for the industrial design of the new V. In this post, we will present three concept directions with pictures and juicy renders. We have been studying and discussing all the comments and votes from the previous posts and now we are now ready to take it to the next level.

Remember, if you want to keep up to date with future steps of our crowd-developed 2-in-1 Project: V, be sure to subscribe to our crowd-development newsletter! You will get:

• all the crowd development news to your inbox
  • info on early prototype testing
  • release dates and pricing

subscribe to our crowd-development newsletter

A quick recap of where we are at

In the previous design post, we presented 5 different design directions. These were initial ideas to illustrate a design path towards a potential product concept. A lot of comments and answers to all the questions and overall few concepts did prevail…

The Community voice:

We did not have one obvious winner but we see that two concepts resonate much better than the others. In addition to this, we noticed that the accessibility and repairability of ‘Better up’, found great traction with the community. Because of these reasons we opted for taking further these three concepts :sunglasses:

• POWERHOUSE: A beautiful power machine.
  • WORK HORSE: The best tool to get the work done.
  • BETTER UP: Strong and accessible unit.

Things to keep in mind

For the next step, our aim is to differentiate the concepts as much as possible in every aspect that has not been already locked down. This is why these concepts will show different port placements, constructions, materials, etc etc.

• The keyboard will be developed later. In this post, we will present each concept with only the tablet component. This is because we want to dedicate our full attention only to the keyboard construction and industrial design once we have the design language selected.

• All the concepts assume the same technical specs, port selection, etc., even if the images shown here might not always reflect it. You can find the latest specifications overview in this status topic.

• Despite our efforts, some of these renders might be missing an important feature. Final designs will have all the I/O, functions and other specs as crowd-developed with our community. Please mention anything strange you might find, but keep in mind that we are still in the early stages of the design process and the details will be ironed out later.

• The goal is to collect as much data as possible so we can work our way towards the final design later. As already seen in the development of other products, the final product is often a combination of one or more initial concepts.

Ok, let’s dig in!

POWERHOUSE

For this concept, we wanted to maintain the original identity of the V. Increasing the “performance” look and feel while keeping the slick look of the device.

Key things about this concept!

• Ports and buttons have been kept on the top part of the device to keep the bottom part of the device easily accessible to hold the device or open and close the kickstand.
  • Edges are now straight, and not slanted as in the previous generation, to guarantee a better interaction with the ports.
  • The antenna area has been increased to improve wireless performance and make LTE and GPS an option.
  • The SSD is accessible via a hatch under the kickstand.
  • The speakers are front-facing, placed on the top edge of the screen. They are visible as a long line covering the whole top edge, just above the front camera.

How much do you like the look of this concept?

• :smiley: I love it!
  • :slightly_smiling_face: I like it
  • :neutral_face: I don’t like or dislike it
  • :slightly_frowning_face: I don’t like it

0 voters

Is LTE support important for you?

A metal housing interferes with wireless signals, which is why some of the device will need to be made of plastic. In order to make LTE a possibility, today’s concepts use an increased amount of plastic compared to the original V.

• Yes, LTE support is a must-have in my 2-in-1
  • Yes, LTE support is a nice-to-have in my 2-in-1
  • No, I don’t need LTE support in my 2-in-1

0 voters

WORKHORSE

When we think of the workhorse concept we should think of a performance tool. Nothing is unnecessary or placed where is not the most useful.

We opted for “straight everything edges” while trying to keep the overall thickness as slim as possible. No tricks were used to make the device seem thinner, like the pillowed back and slanted edges of the original V.

• In order to improve heat dissipation, we increased the contact surface with the air around the device using a pattern under the kickstand.
  • The ports are placed at the bottom of the device. The only port that is placed near the top is the audio jack.
  • The speakers are front-facing, placed along the upper halves of the device’s side edges.
  • The antenna area is covering a large section of the back to improve wireless performance and make LTE and GPS an option.
  • The internals can be accessed by removing a few screws along the bottom of the device. This releases the entire screen, like in an iPhone.
  • The SD card reader is on the side edge of the device.
  • Buttons are more visible and tactile compared to the current V.

0 voters

Where is your 2-in-1 during CPU-intensive work?

The placement of the heatsink underneath the kickstand means that cooling is improved when the device is put down on a surface with the kickstand open. We think that you are more likely to put the device down during extended high-power tasks like rendering a video or gaming.

• I hold my device in my hands during such tasks
  • I put my device down flat during such tasks
  • I put my device down at an angle using the kickstand during such tasks

0 voters

BETTER UP

Last but not least we have BETTER UP, and this is the furthest away from the current V. In this design, the goal is to offer great durability and accessibility to the internals. In order to achieve this, we have decided to change the overall construction of the product, using plastic all around and metal only on the back of the device. This allows us to reduce weight while keeping the metal where it is most needed in order to dissipate the heat.

• All the internals are accessible via screwed-down panels on the back, one on the top half and one at the bottom underneath the kickstand.
  • The speakers are front-facing, placed along the device’s entire side edges.
  • Since we have the plastic frames all around, wireless performance is improved and LTE and GPS are options.
  • We use the materials’ properties where they function best: Plastic on the edges to provide scratch resistance and good grip, metal on the back to allow heat dissipation and good structural support.

0 voters

What side should the USB-C ports be on?

Unlike the other concepts, BETTER-UP doesn’t split the USB-C ports to either side of the device. Having all ports on one side looks better when many things are plugged in, but having ports on either side means you can easily plug your accessory in no matter what side the cable comes from.

• I prefer both USB Type-C ports on the same side
  • I prefer one USB Type-C port on either side

0 voters

Feature comparison and overall vote

Now that we have presented all the different concepts and you have voted on their looks, it is time to the different solutions they provide for some of our features. This allows us to understand the best parts of each design to carry over in the final concept. Which one do you think got it right?

What is the best placement for the ports?

POWERHOUSE keeps all the ports near the top. This means that when you’re holding the device in tablet mode, your hand does not block any of the ports. BETTER UP puts all the ports at the bottom. This means that when you’re using the device on a desk in laptop mode, the cables run along the table and don’t stick out from the top of the device. WORKHORSE has some ports near the top, some near the bottom.

• Near the top, like POWERHOUSE
  • Separated, like WORKHORSE
  • Near the bottom, like BETTER UP
  • Somewhere else, I’ll leave a comment

0 voters

What is the best placement for the speakers?

POWERHOUSE has the speakers along the top edge of the screen. This allows you to hold the device anywhere along the sides without blocking the speakers, but may block a speaker if you hold it in portrait mode. BETTER UP puts the speakers along the side edges of the screen. This looks symmetrical, though you may block a speaker with your hand when holding it in landscape mode. WORKHORSE also has the speakers along the side edges, but only on the top half of the device, so you can hold it without blocking a speaker.

• Along the top edge, like POWERHOUSE
  • Along half of the side edges, WORKHORSE
  • Along the entire side edges, like BETTER UP

0 voters

What is the best placement for the fingerprint reader?

POWERHOUSE and BETTER UP have the fingerprint reader built into the power button. This lets you quickly unlock the device when resuming from stand-by. WORKHORSE separates the power button and fingerprint reader. This makes it harder to accidentally press the power button when scanning your fingerprint.

• In the power button, like POWERHOUSE and BETTER UP
  • In a separate place, like WORKHORSE

0 voters

What is the best style for the volume buttons?

POWERHOUSE and BETTER UP combine the volume-up and volume-down buttons into a single rocker switch. WORKHORSE separates the two into their own buttons.

• A volume rocker, like POWERHOUSE and BETTER UP
  • Separate volume buttons, like WORKHORSE

0 voters

Which concept is the best overall?

• POWERHOUSE
  • WORKHORSE
  • BETTER UP

0 voters

Which concept is the worst overall?

• POWERHOUSE
  • WORKHORSE
  • BETTER UP

0 voters

In the next step, we will start narrowing things down to a single concept based on your comments and voting, as well as feedback from our suppliers and manufacturing partner. So please do not forget to mention anything that you think could improve, or anything that simply does not work for you!

17 Likes

Dual SSD slots can greatly help to upgrade the storage, because a second ssd can be added without migrating the boost drive or creating a recovery media.

35 Likes

There are a lot of great design details that I like; such as the flat sides, front facing speakers, plastic for better durability and connectivity, LTE and GPS, heat dissipation pattern, accessible SSD storage, SD card reader on the side, power button/fingerprint reader, rounded volume rocker, and ports near the bottom. Perhaps we could put all the best aspects of each together in one design. The only things I didn’t like were the separate power button and fingerprint scanner, and separate circular volume buttons. Maybe the bezels could be a little thinner, but if the camera or speakers require it be that big, or if it’s better for holding the tablet, I guess it’s ok. I could get used to the ports being on all on side or near the bottom. All three are very good concepts, it’ll be very exciting to see how it turns out!

11 Likes

I feel like power house and work horse can still be combined into one product.

Workhorse looks perfect but it appears that people prefer aesthetics of powerhouse over workhorse.

Possibly bring an ever so subtle pillow curve similar to what the new iPad pros do (the iPad pro sides are NOT sharp edges. I’m getting the impression that the workhorse concept does have sharp edges)

The bezels feels like could be reduced a little bit more. However we are still using a 12.3 panel so reducing it could compromise battery size. Oh well.

I strongly prefer the servicability & cooling dissipation of work horse over a ssd hatch in power house. Please please please do not glue down the battery like other tablets so that it can be removed & serviced.

29 Likes

Yeah, I think that if there was a second m.2 slot that is accessible that would be perfect.

18 Likes

I still would love to see a bigger screen/smaller bezels.
I love the concept of the BETTER UP but can’t picture how it would really work. Swapping RAM and storage is nice and all but not all that important for a device like this. Not like you’re suddenly gonna need 256 Gigs of RAM, right? The things I would like to swap are the processor and the GPU. For the processor I could see the use of standard sizes, so that a change to a different CPU is possible. For the GPU though I don’t see how an upgrade would be possible. Would eve provide suitable cards in the future?

6 Likes

Upgrading the CPU and the GPU of a laptop or a tablet by the end user is extremely uncommon. When better CPU&GPU options are in place it is probably more straight forward to design the next generation of the new V.

12 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. That is also why I think it is not a viable idea for the new V

It is nice,
but If I have to buy some 2in1/ tablet I would buy iPad Pro

The point is to make something rivaling it.
I’d like to see a larger screen, too.

2 Likes

Problem is that you can not rival ecosystem with one type of product. It is just… software optimization … It’s like comparing video rendering time. Windows machines with Same price will do better in same programs, but than there is final cut only for Mac which is fastest program, so Mac’s comes out faster. And to that price to performance, A12Z is so powerful. But that is my opinion which is bit subjective.

1 Like

I think eve V is more like a rival of windows 2 in 1’s and tablets

Yes, the original competitor was the Microsoft Surface.

5 Likes

RAM and Storage upgrades are very common in laptops, many buyers get the base model with the least RAM and storage and upgrade it to the amount they need, which is usually cheaper than manufacturer pre-installed upgrades.

CPU and GPU upgrades aren’t really possible in laptops since these components come soldered on to the board, and adding a user-accessible mechanism to replace them would be a bad use of space. . Not to mention that laptop CPUs and GPUs are very hard to find on their own and when you do find them, they are very expensive. The only laptops I’ve seen with upgradeable CPU and GPU are very bulky laptops that use desktop components which would be impossible to cool in the V, and would make it extremely thick.

14 Likes

Hey guys, great work on all 3 concepts so far, lots of good things to like in all 3 of them!!

Let me first dig into the aspects I’d like to stay for the final version:

1. The new flatter sides are definitely a good upgrade over the slanted ones, not only for using cables and USB accessories, but also for storing the new V Pen (hoping for a new design with a flat edge :wink: )

2. The heat sink in the Workhorse looks very promising! As long as its all still fanless, any additional passive cooling is welcome :blush:

3. Port placement on the Workhorse looks perfect. Having the ports on the bottom edge and symmetrical on either end makes so much sense in making the device more flexible to use in cases where the charging cable is not long enough to reach the “correct” side of the device

4. I actually do like the fact that power button and fingerprint unlock are separate. This makes a bit more sense as this would allow for making 3 things easier/less prone to unwanted actions:
    - Turning the device on is now just one press of the power button instead of long press
    - Waking the device is still just a tap of the fingerprint reader; no more accidentally putting the device back to sleep when you press the fingerprint reader by mistake
    - Authenticating something using fingerprint won’t accidentally result in putting the device to sleep either

No matter how good any concept is, there is always some room for improvement, and here are the couple of things I feel can make this even better:

1. Can it later on be possible to add Windows Hello Face unlock as a biometric as well? Sometimes when I am using my V with a wireless keyboard and mouse, it is a bit of a stretch to reach the fingerprint reader to login or authenticate. I know it seems like a very first world problem, but would make it ever so slightly more convenient.
    - Is it not possible due to costs or any other reasons that have been discussed before and have missed out on? I’d be happy to get to know a bit more about it :slight_smile:
    - I do think it can be done even with slim bezels since the new Dell XPS 13 supports this feature as far as I have read, and on the topic of bezels…

2. I hate to be that guy and know this is still a very, very early concept, but wanted to suggest if the bezels could be reduced slightly to maybe the iPad Pro levels? I own and use an iPad Pro on a daily basis and can confirm that the bezels are not too thin to handle as a tablet. So I feel, being someone who has used it for a long time, shrinking the bezels even further should not affect usability at all :blush:

Overall, I think we are heading in the right direction and things can only get better from here! Good luck to us all!!

15 Likes

Is there a way to change my answer? Now I’m really liking Workhorse and Better Up. If you take the heat dissipation pattern under the kickstand and the top half side speakers from the Workhorse and combine it with the plastic frame, the rounded volume rocker, and the ports from Better Up, I think you’ll have a winner.

If you click on the show vote button under the results, it’ll give you the option to change your vote :slight_smile: (at least that’s how it’s on desktop) :smiley:

4 Likes

Some ideas for the design.

• can the bezel be thinner and the screen be larger? the bezel is now too thick in terms of design.

• i don’t see a place to store the pen. I really want the pen to be hold either in the tablet or at the keyboard. simply sticking it at the side is not user friendly.

• the heat sink is a good idea for passive cooling. will there be a chance that it can be detached for cleaning the dust?

• i dont mind to use durable plastic if it is strong enough and can lose weight. Yet, please dont make it shiny as it would become fingerprint collector.

• ports are better located near the bottom and on both sides for easy connections

• is the picture showing the maximum angle that the hinge can be opened? it would be better if it can be opened larger so that it can be better used as a tablet lying on the table.

11 Likes

On my first V the fingerprint sensor fell of and it took my girlfriend and some weeks to find a workaround to power it on. Then it took months to get a replacement.

Therefore I voted for seperate powerbutton and fingerprint reader. I could have used my first V some months more with tis design.

7 Likes

Cooling confusion.

Hey guys, thanks for the work so far, is progressing greatly. There is a detail that I don’t understand of the new design directions. In the previous post, the POWERHOUSE was supposed to be best friend of an eGPU, therefore would need improved cooling, (Active IMO). Despite the fact that the community has chosen for passive cooling, seems to me that the WORKHORSE’s design is more oriented towards better cooling. I did not see any additions in this regard for the POWERHORSE.

What is the thought here?

3 Likes