Eve V dedicated GPU option

I think it would be nice for Eve V Gen II or maybe a separate Eve tablet to have an dedicated GPU so people who need a bit more but still want a 2 in 1 would have other options than just the Surface Book. I think it would need to have at least 2GB of RAM but let me know what you think!

The current V has a Thunderbolt 3 port, which would allow for the use of an external GPU, all you have to do is buy one. There are some other threads talking about a DIY eGPU and the possibility of Eve making one.

I mean it should have an internal dedicated GPU not a eGPU as I want the GPU to be built into the tablet itself so it is portable even if it a little bit thicker

Ah, sorry, you said

a separate Eve tablet to have an external GPU

As far as discrete graphics in a 2-in-one, the only thing I’ve personally seen that would really work is the Surface Book.

Gaming laptops have a reputation for not being very portable, and for good reason. Graphics cards, even in laptops, aren’t small. Plus the battery life would drop significantly because graphics cards take a lot of power.

But I do agree that an V-Book, similar to the Surface Book, would be an awesome idea!

I’ve edited the topic title and the opening sentence of your original post to reflect ‘dedicated GPU’ rather than ‘external GPU’. Please note that you can also edit your own posts to change things like these. People who read the opening post and then skim through the rest would not have spotted your later correction, and you’d end up with a discussion about how eGPUs are already possible, instead of the discussion about dGPUs that you were looking for!

We had allready a little bit of a dGPU discussion around the Acer Swith 7 BE with MX150/GT1030.

The key of the V is a silent cooling system and a very long battery lifetime. So there is no better option then an intel Y-CPU, but because of this maybe the cooling system has an possibility to get along with a MX150 with 8W TDP as Xinjie mentioned.
But how do we get a better dGPU in the V? The answer is to get every possibility on the table why the community who would be this thing would need it? Mainstream gaming? Professional Software which would need more power? What programms are we using and what are good to use with the V on the road, that they would get boosted by a dGPU?

For me, I would like to have a dGPU for mainstream gaming. I travel a lot and this is why the battery life is one of the things I like on the V, also the ports to get a mouse, a power cable, your camera and so on atteched to the device. But if you are travelling a lot, you also want to play a game at the evening in the hotel or somewhere else. That’s why I would prefer a V with a MX150 for example.

i also think the cpu on the v is a little under powered i understand that it was made to be silent but a little more power would be nice maybe for next gen

One key word of concern: Space.

That’s what I was thinking too

I wonder, why eve haven’t used Intel U series instead of Y series, and also use passive cooling
(Micro Encapsulated Phase Change Material)
One of my friends uses Huawei matebook x , which depends on passive cooling, told me that temperature of laptop is very good but only on prolonged maximum performance it may reaches up 41 Celsius ( outer part) , incase of Gpu, I think if eve can’t use full dgpu like gtx series we can use iris plus series instead of Intel HD one!

The specs have been voted on by the community and locked in a long time ago.
The decision was to rank battery life and a silent device higher than performance, thus the U-series was out of the picture. Plus, a passive cooling solution for the U would’ve been (if at all possible without performance loss) a lot more difficult which might have resulted in a thicker device as well.

It is incredibly difficult to get power usage figures from Intel, but I can with certainty say that the higher level integrated Intel graphics (Iris Plus 640 and 650 with 48 execution units) are every bit as power hungry for similar performance as other integrated and discrete solutions from nVidia and AMD.

Iris Plus 640 and 650 can be classified as low-midrange graphics and are pretty similar in performance to nVidia 920MX and 930M. Have to remember that the low graphics solutions from nVidia usually have the power usage configurable, so there is no exact power usage for these nVidia graphics as it depends what the device manufacturer has deemed suitable and appropriate.

And thus, the heat generation is in the similar kind of bracket too. My somewhat educated guess is, anything from below 10W up to something like 30W.

Have to also think about the overall design of the device. Is it better to have all the heat coming from a single source (processor with integrated graphics) or is it better to divide the heat loads to two separate locations and have separate cooling solutions for both of them (separate processor and discrete graphics)?

The above obviously depends on so many other factors too, that a definite answer cannot be given. The ideal solution takes account all the other aspects too, and tries to benefit from advantages and decrease the disadvantages where possible.

You see, the performance difference is really small if you cool both of them sufficiently. But passively cooling a 15W CPU sufficiently is harder and more expensive, often still results in throttling, and gives not so much better performance. The processor in the V will never thermally throttle, and the battery life is much better. Remember, our processor uses 2-3 times less energy on load and 5 times less on idle (numbers are approximate)