Eve Spectrum Prototype Tester | Tikio

Hello Eve Community! :wave:

Latest Post as of 2021-06-07T07:00:00Z : Click Here

My name is Shaun and I was chosen as a member of the community to test the Spectrum as part of the Project: Spectrum | Community Tester Entry selection process. I will be testing the Eve Spectrum with many devices and in many different scenarios. As such, I will link here to new posts in this topic when I have performed some tests using Spectrum in certain scenarios. Further below this post I will elaborate on my devices. Here are the planned linked posts (links will be added once the specific testing is complete):

Now to elaborate on the devices I will test the Spectrum with and the features of the Spectrum I am most looking forward to trying! To begin with the devices, I built a new computer in November of 2020. Its components are:

• Ryzen 9 5900X
  • MSI B550 MAG Mortar Wifi Motherboard
  • Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W Power Supply
  • 1TB Seagate FireCuda PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD
  • Corsair A500 CPU Cooler
  • Fractal Design 7 ATX case, White with Tempered Glass

I primarily use my computer for work as I freelancer offering services such as Web Development and Design, Digital Marketing and Digital Consulting. As such, color accuracy is the most important for that use case.

In my spare time, I love to play video games and since my current monitors are only 1080p, 60 Hz monitors, I can’t wait to fully utilize the power of my PC for gaming at 4K, 144Hz in HDR with the Spectrum. For PC gaming, I plan on testing these games:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Doom Eternal
  • The Witcher 3
  • Minecraft RTX
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Guild Wars 2

If there are any games that you would like me to try that are not on my list, leave a comment down below and if I own it, I can try it out for you! I own quite a collection of games on PC and subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate so will try my best to test any games that you suggest! For proof, here is an image of my GOG stats.

As for photo and video editing, my wife is the professional so I will get her opinion on the monitor for that scenario and will provide my own thoughts upon testing. I will also be testing how the included USB Hub works on the Spectrum with our two laptops. A Surface Pro 7 and a Surface Book 2.

For console gaming, I am very excited to try 120 FPS gaming on the Xbox Series X with HDR. I will be sure to provide my feedback on testing the Spectrum with the new console and if have any questions about next generation console gaming with the Spectrum leave a comment below.

I also have quite a collection of older consoles and plan on testing the Spectrum on every single one of them! Here is a list of the older consoles I plan on testing:

• Xbox One X
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Playstation 4
  • Playstation 3
  • Playstation 2
  • Playstation 1
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Gamecube

I use a GANA 1080p scaler for the consoles that do not have HDMI, though when I get the chance and have the cash, I may get the Retrotinks 5x-pro.

If you have read this far, you have probably surmised that I have quite a bit of testing to do when I get my Eve Spectrum! I hope to provide as much clarity and information on the testing of the device for the Eve Community. Should you have any questions, comments, or feedback at any point, I will monitor this topic and will get back to you as soon as possible!

17 Likes

I look forward to reading about your experience with the Xbox. I can confirm I’ve had 4k 120hz running on the PS5; with my prototype!

6 Likes

That is great to hear! I expect 120 Hz gaming will be a “game” changer :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

The difference between 60 hz, and 120hz is Night, and Day in my opinion! Especially when playing an FPS like Call of duty!

4 Likes

How is the picture quality on Warzone @ 4K 120?

6 Likes

Admittedly I’ve not tested much on Warzone just yet, but from what I have seen it’s good quality at 4k. Unfortunately the PS5 Warzone as yet to receive the 120hz update; I did read recently that this is something Activision is currently working on.

6 Likes

Thank you for the question! As soon as I receive my Spectrum I will go ahead and test Warzone at 4K 120Hz on my Xbox Series X! Stay tuned in the next week or so!

5 Likes

I’ll definitely be looking out for your reviews and findings. I have my XBSX here waiting and call of duty is my favorite game (and reason for getting this monitor). Xbox has all next gen features unlocked right now (VRR missing on PS5) and is just waiting for a monitor to unleash them. Eagerly awaiting your post updates.

5 Likes

Hi Tikio,
Thanks for testing! I‘ve a question which I picked up at Thomas Thread.
„ More configurations (10 bit color depth, HDR) are available at 120 Hz.“
Could you test if you can select 4K HDR @144hz?

Would be pretty interesting I think.

4 Likes

Very impressed that you’ve managed to build your PC 6 months in the future :joy:
Looking forward to your updates!

6 Likes

Would you check out HDR in Flight Simulator 2020?

4 Likes

To begin with the devices, I built a new computer in November of 2021.

Very impressed that you’ve managed to build your PC 6 months in the future :joy:
Looking forward to your updates!

Can I get some Ethereum that you’ve mined from the future?

2 Likes

haha! I just corrected that, thank you for letting me know. As someone from 6 months in the future I should have maybe let you know that Crypto was going to be crashing this week :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yes!!! Totally forgot about Flight Simulator! I am going to download it today and I’ll let you know my thoughts as soon as possible! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Please play some High Frame FPS on PC and let us know if you get the chance:

Random Suggestions: BF4/BFV, CSGO, SQUAD, QUAKE, RAINBOW SIX SIEGE

Thank You

5 Likes

I have actually tried Doom Eternal with 150 to 200 FPS and I can confirm that it played wonderfully! I received the Spectrum late yesterday so you can expect some posts from me over the weekend!

I am still figuring out how to best show myself playing the games, but again, I can confirm that playing high FPS games on PC with an HDMI 2.1 connection with HDR on and at 4K 144HZ was amazing!

5 Likes

Is 144hz automatic with hdmi 2.1? Or do you have to change some settings?

Thank you.

2 Likes

My experience and as far as I know, when you get a new monitor Windows 10 will start the monitor at 60Hz and then you can either go in the Windows 10 settings here:

and set your refresh rate, or you can go ahead and go directly in your graphics driver, and set it there. Here is the Nvidia Settings page as an example:

I hope that helps :slight_smile: you may also have to set the new resolution as well for most new monitors, but generally speaking it is a set it and forget it!

5 Likes

Hi,
Ive another questions I came up while googling the 27gp950.
Can you overclock the Monitor to 160Hz?
If they run the same panel, it probably should work.

Or are there any restrictions which won’t allow this for testing?

3 Likes

I actually did try it quickly and was unable to get it to work! That being we are still running on test firmware so it may be a limitation of the firmware! I will look into it further and let you know what I find out :slight_smile:

4 Likes