Eve Spectrum Prototype Tester | ReignDespair

Hey @kreative, I’ll get back to you on that. Just got a few things going on at home right now, and unable to currently check for you.

3 Likes

Do we know if that firmware update is only available through Windows? Is there a Linux or Mac OS version?

5 Likes

Hey @Adrock42, I do believe the most up-to-date updater tool is currently for Windows only. I will ask the team what the plans are for Mac, and linux.

5 Likes

Hey everyone,
My apologies for the lack of updates over the last few days. I’ve been extremely busy. I’m hoping to get more extensive testing of my use-cases done Tuesday - Thursday (my days off work)

I’ve done a quick little 4k YouTube screen test, and the image quality the Spectrum produces is nothing short of incredible.
Here’s a few pictures for you:

Apologies for my wonky hand while taking the pictures. Didn’t have much time :joy:.

8 Likes

I must say I’m feeling a little more at ease with the few test reviews I’ve read so far. Waiting on the prompt to pay now!

7 Likes

So I’ve tested a little with the Type C connection tonight (was working today); one thing I can say: Is wow that’s fast charging!
My Red Magic 5g rocks up to 55W charging, and using the Spectrum to charge it, I was shocked beyond belief. Not only was it charging super fast, but I had to enable my in-phone fan system to keep things cool!

I didn’t actually have to enable the fan, but I did, because the phone felt warm to touch.

I love technology.

Little extra:
Quick little update. Very cool little feature. Changing the front LED colour. I’ve touched on in a previous post, but here are my current settings on the OSD, and how it displays.

This was a hard picture to take:

5 Likes

Ok, that’s cool and all, but can you sync the led color to what’s happening on screen? lol.

Just kidding, it is pretty cool that you can dial in the RGB colors you want for On and StandBy. I originally thought I would just disable the LED for both, but now, I might actually use the standby one.

3 Likes

That would be pretty cool. I’ll do more extensive research later today.
On my phone The LEDs do this when listening to music!
The LED itself is of a very subtle design. This avoiding it being obnoxious.

Edit/update: No, the LED’S can’t be sync’d to what is happening on screen.

Currently testing screen orientation. Will update soon.

3 Likes

Hey everyone,
Another little update for you all:
This one I am mainly focusing on screen orientation, and what better example to demonstrate than displaying MSSQL code in Notepad++, and MSSQL Management studio. When you are dealing with thousands of lines of code there is nothing better than having your screen orientation in portrait mode; this enabling as many lines as possible to be visible at once.

MSSQL code displayed on NotePad++:

MSSQL code displayed on MSSQL management studio:

Example of small script (stored procedure) screen orientation portrait:

Example of the same small script (stored procedure) screen orientation landscape:

5 Likes

I’ve just ran this test, and wow this is an incredible demonstration for the Spectrum!

Here are a few example pictures for you:

The video I’ve uploaded. Does not represent the real-life experience very well! In reality this video is incredibly beautiful.

Jelly fish example. Again the video does not represent the real-life experience very well! In reality this video is incredibly beautiful.

Edit: I would recommend you load the clips through the official YouTube app. Through the youtube app a 2160p demonstration is possible, and shows the videos in a lot more detail! For some reason when on the community/browser it only shows at 720p

6 Likes

How was your impression? Judging over the quality of a 4K monitor from a FullHD one is challenging XD

6 Likes

I’ve uploaded the video. The magic fluid hdr clip is an incredible visual experience on the display. The video I’ve uploaded does not represent the real-life experience of the test very well. You can definitely tell the difference going from HD to UHD.

In 2 words: Absolutely stunning!

6 Likes

Thanks for running the test. I am curious to know how the contrast looked? Did the blacks remain inky black or was there any amount of light bleed or haloing from the color areas?

4 Likes

The colours were bright, vibrant, and full of depth. Blacks remained Inky black as you say, and I personally didn’t visibly observe any light bleed/haloing.

I’m not an expert in explaining this kind of thing, but the one thing I can say: It’s an extremely beautiful display.

Edit: I’ve just watched the magic fluids HDR video in 1080p. This resulted in some visible/noticeable light bleed/haloing. The difference between 2160p (4k), and 1080p is extreme in comparison.

Edit #2: These tests were done with the PS5.

5 Likes

Hey, @Adrock42! We’ll explore enabling macOS and Linux support later down the line; at the moment, Spectrum firmware update software is available for Windows only.

6 Likes

It’s been a busy week in terms of updates for the Spectrum. We have received 3 firmware updates in the space of a few days, and also we have received an update for the onboard Hub.

I have recorded these updates to show the simplicity when it comes to updating. Currently in process of editing the Firmware update video.

I’ve also made a personal custom mod for both of the updaters to add an Eve flare.

Here is a clip of the Hub updater (My personal modification) in action:
Apologies for the camera autofocus at the beginning of the video.

5 Likes

Nice work, excited to get the spectrum

3 Likes

Thanks for the FW update video. It is kind of ironic that the app has a progress bar but is not updating it or even responding to system events (UI Repaint) during the flashing process, most likely due to a single thread “Not Responding” until the sudden update to 100% completed at the end. To my jaded eyes, this looks like a classic example of HW engineers writing the software : )

7 Likes

OTOH while I assume that the progress of the data upload is trivial to measure, I would not be surprised if the monitor SoC further processes (e.g. decompresses) the uploaded data and has no feedback channel to report its progress. In this case the GUI couldn’t provide you with much more useful data anyways.

2 Likes

I’ve edited the firmware update video by speeding up the clip a little; so I don’t take up to much of your time. These videos are made to demonstrate the simplicity when it comes to update the Spectrum. I chose to use USB-C this time, but it is also possible using USB-B.

Also the firmware updater tool I used in the video is a personal modification of the original to add a little Eve flare.

3 Likes