Eve Spectrum Prototype Tester | Mohammad Hadi

Hi everyone!

My name is Mohammad Hadi, lol. I was fortunate to be selected as a Spectrum prototype tester. I wanna focus as much time in this testing phase on gaming performance, color reproduction, ports, and any issues. I don’t necessarily have awesome testing equipment like big name Youtubers, but I will do my best to give you guys a clear picture of the current status of what I have. Let’s get into it!

My gear:

I will be testing Spectrum with a 3080 and an Xbox Series X. I will be comparing the screen to my own AOC 24G2. I will be testing Call of Duty Warzone, Valorant and League of Legends.

Gaming Performance:

I will be visually assessing the panel for any visual artifacts when in high frame rate and overdrive modes. I will be using a high frame rate recording mode of my phone to capture as much footage as I can and provide some analysis.

Update 5/26/2021
When I first got the Spectrum I turned on Adaptive Sync and set Overdrive to Strong because that’s what my other AOC 24G2 monitor is set to and I believe many monitors based off of the review videos which I have seen. But the results which I have seen don’t match up with this precedent set my monitor manufacturers.

Overdrive Strong: As you can see there is a lot of ghosting with overdrive set to strong. I noticed this immediately when I launched warzone for the first time when I played on the Spectrum

Overdrive Normal: Overdrive set to normal also has a fair bit of ghosting. I didn’t notice much of a difference in response time between the two modes but that may require response time measuring equipment.

Overdrive Off: This mode has ZERO ghosting and I found it to be pretty responsive. While I can’t speak to the actual response times put out by the different Overdrive modes, I have left this setting on Off" and I haven’t noticed any downsides to doing so.

But all of this is unreleased firmware, so there’s possibility of future improved performance. Which brings me into something neat I want to share with you all is an issue I experienced during this specific testing. If you watch the Overdrive normal videos closely, you may notice that there is a point in which the UFOs on screen exhibit ghosting. I found this bug only today and I reported it to the Team to be patched up. I think this is a key takeaway from this entire project. WE are the ones making this monitor and if we run into any problems or things that we think can be improved, we can bring it up and make the Spectrum better together.

Color Reproduction:

I will be comparing the color reproduction to various displays at my disposal. I will be testing the HDR. I will post pictures to show the differences to you all.

Ports:

I will be testing HDMI 2.1 and the USB hub between two devices: my desktop and my work laptop (using it’s USB C dock).

Issues:

I will note any exceptional issues that I run across if they seem important or interesting to mention. The firmware is being updated pretty rapidly to remove the bugs we run into so not all issues are critical to mention.

I will be trying to update this post multiple times this week with a specific category that I listed. Talk to you all soon!

16 Likes

I’d like to see how the 8 and 10 bit color looks if you can get it at 4k 144hz . With the 3080 you should be able to test those.

If you are looking for a testing regime to compare to, rtings has one and they tested the same panel but on the LG 27" display LG 27GN950-B Review - RTINGS.com

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try to do my best to emulate their rigorous process as I move onto color testing.

2 Likes

Update 5/26/2021
When I first got the Spectrum I turned on Adaptive Sync and set Overdrive to Strong because that’s what my other AOC 24G2 monitor is set to and I believe many monitors based off of the review videos which I have seen. But the results which I have seen don’t match up with this precedent set my monitor manufacturers.

Overdrive Strong: As you can see there is a lot of ghosting with overdrive set to strong. I noticed this immediately when I launched warzone for the first time when I played on the Spectrum

Overdrive Normal: Overdrive set to normal also has a fair bit of ghosting. I didn’t notice much of a difference in response time between the two modes but that may require response time measuring equipment.

Overdrive Off: This mode has ZERO ghosting and I found it to be pretty responsive. While I can’t speak to the actual response times put out by the different Overdrive modes, I have left this setting on Off" and I haven’t noticed any downsides to doing so.

But all of this is unreleased firmware, so there’s possibility of future improved performance. Which brings me into something neat I want to share with you all is an issue I experienced during this specific testing. If you watch the Overdrive normal videos closely, you may notice that there is a point in which the UFOs on screen exhibit ghosting. I found this bug only today and I reported it to the Team to be patched up. I think this is a key takeaway from this entire project. WE are the ones making this monitor and if we run into any problems or things that we think can be improved, we can bring it up and make the Spectrum better together.

9 Likes

Thank you a lot for this test, do you mind doing the same test with backlight strobing enabled?

3 Likes

For sure, I’ll take a look at it tonight.

2 Likes

hey, is there an update on the strobing performmance by any chance?

2 Likes

It’s gonna be hard for me to find time for this, until next week. A lot of personal matters to attend to.

2 Likes

You should try User Defined Overdrive since it’s tantamount to 64-level-intensity overdrive, instead of 2-level overdrive.

1. Set Overdrive to “User defined”

2. Adjust “User defined” underneath while viewing www.testufo.com/ghosting

You’ll see that as you increase/decrease 0 to 63 to 0 you’re adjusting overdrive at VERY subtle amounts, like 1/20th the intensity difference between “OFF” vs “Low”. It’s a fine overdrive adjustment. You can get a setting superior to the existing “OFF”, “Low” and “High” settings.

As for backlight strobing tests, make sure you read the errata at bottom of this thread: Blur Buster Eve Spectrum Strobe Tuning Completion

3 Likes