EVE Portable AiO Concept

This one is fairly straightforward. Please read the attached PDF. The rendered images aren’t fully representative of the final design (sorry I don’t have time to edit the 3d model yet) I’ve included some hand drawn sketches to illustrate the final design.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmxR7ZsLz9SCisJIOcwiszFlTUEi2Q

As with the eve convertible concept, the keyboard has many potential options and maybe even the stand too so sound off if you have ideas as I’ve only include the basic keyboard option.

To avoid confusion this is NOT a power user oriented device. It is meant to replace small AiO’s not larger 23"+ workstations. The reasoning behind it was said best by @pauliunas

Therefore an AiO from eve should either be more mobile or more upgradeable. This is the more mobile design and is ment to replace things like this.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3B88EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP and the 21.5inch iMac.

Pluses core m is a perfect fit for a device like this.

!

Hope you guys like it.

For all the people who want a powerful modular workstation AiO / a modular PC / a modular pc dock or a modular eGPU enclosure please check out this concept (it will require some reading :smiley: ) EVE Modular 'Box' Concept (includes eGPU/Mini tower PC/Docking station/ AiO and more)

Isn’t this just a huge tablet? In an AiO I expect much higher performance than Y series CPUs. And even if you use the new quad core U series, how is this anything different than a huge tablet? For me this really is just creating a gigantic tablet/laptop and calling it an AiO which brings even less benefits of either a mobile, AiO or desktop system.

Nice! It would be cool if we could make the stand be Bluetooth and have built in speakers.

Edit: could turn this into a eGpu case too?

How portable is a 19.5 inch screen?! Or am I misunderstanding and this it a stand/ dock to plug in the normal V?

Looks like a discarded surface studio design concept.

“Mobile” in your concept means sometimes (1) using mobile hardware (like U-class CPU) and sometimes (2) easy to carry around. You should focus on one definition.
IMO (1) makes no sense, as we already have laptops, tablets and TVs for that (as a projector ofc).

This more of a consumption oriented device. Not for hard core productivity. This wont cater much to most people who use this community but in general the AiO market has more traction with the public than a tower PC. An AiO can go in two directions more mobile or more like a pro desktop tower with upgradeability this is the more mobile version. The more upgradeable version is the other modular concept I just posted.

I fully appreciate that this may not be what power users are looking for but power users are the minority in a world dominated by iOS and Android devices and core m now allows for ridiculously thin AiO’s with decent battery life. some one should give this crack and see how it goes. Think of it as a portable 21.5 inch iMac Air.

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-18-1810 the dell xps 18 is like 3-4 years old and got good reviews at the time. It would be much better with Core m or maybe even ARM and a better stand/keyboard setup.

Its the same size of an A3 sheet of paper so very portable inside the home. I don’t expect anyone to take it college with them (no ones takes their 21 inch iMac with them :slight_smile: ) I guess you could take it one off for presentations etc.

Its very portable …for an AiO.

AIO sounds great, but why must it be portable?

A small (18-21") AiO must be portable because it uses mobile class parts and it doesn’t really make sense for it not to be portable if its possible to make it so. Living room pc and kitchen pc’s are very useful but they would be even more useful if you could carry them around.

For a large 23"+ AiO a non portable upgradeable workstation makes sense.

Yeah the stand can quite easily accommodate a laptop grade GPU, speakers, power supply and maybe even a hard drive.

I do like the concept. 20/21" would be my go to size, if it was with narrow/no bezels (if the intention is to have it somewhat portable).
I do have to find my use case for it though :wink:

:+1:
Really hoping Eve AIO concept can be realised so that i can replace the my old Lenovo flex 20.

Its a similar product.

Y a portable AIO? … 19/21" is decent size enough to watch a movie, multi-task documents and can bring it out for small group presentation, without needing a projector.

Main question is - where is AiO beneficial over built computer with monitor - it is complicated and expensive to upgrade (processor and graphic card), usually using notebook/laptop parts, more expensive than computer + monitor …

For travel - 2in1 or light laptop is great, but for home/office work a “real” computer/game computer/workstation is a way to go (at least from my perspective).

This would be true for a screen larger than 23inches but a smaller screen seems cramped at least from my experience I can’t comfortably work on a 19 inch monitor. Based on that I feel like non portable small AiO’s (19-22 inches) shouldn’t really exist unless there really affordable.

For larger AiO’s I have an in progress modular design

I’m afraid of one more disadvantage other than the price. If you want to have a powerful CPU for desktop like work and a decent GPU, you’ll need a lot of cooling power. Combine that with a big battery to power this “tablet” and you’ll end up with a really heavy device. Won’t the weight be an issue?

I see a market for these kind of devices. Not only as portable AiO that sits on the desk, and you can take it as large tablet to where ever you’re going inside your house, but also if you could have less powerful a.k.a cheaper options that you could integrate to walls where you might need them. For example one for you door where you can check your agenda on a big screen when you’re leaving or in a kitchen wall where you could watch something on the bigger screen and interact with it. Later you could even have some sort of smart home integration where your different devices would change the display that you’re using for skype etc.

Yes and no, personally I don’t feel like anything more than core m is necessary considering the usage scenarios core m seems to be advancing faster than core u.

The weight is basically down to the battery. The size of the battery is dependent mainly on the the displays efficency and the cpu’s efficiency. Thus the main issue is price because the most energy efficient and thinnest displays are oled

lol, when I was a young professional growing up in London, my home pc had a 17 inch monitor and I thought that was huge having used 14 or 15 inch CRT screens at uni!

boy do I feel old!!

I do see the value of such form factor for office use, where people might have to carry their devices around the venue.

As a productivity device, however, 19.5" seems too small alone. May need external monitors to actually make it “work”. But then that seems too much to ask and kind of defeats the purpose…

So it probably has to be a bit larger, like what @exialpho prefers, a 20/21" screen. Preferably a slightly wider aspect ratio to cater productivity users, instead of ratios suitable for media consumption like 16:9.