EVE OLED monitor

Hi EVE,
love the work you’ve been doing on the spectrum so far, can’t wait to get my hands on it. In the meantime, I was watching some CES 2021 coverage and saw that LG teased a 32 inch OLED monitor in their ultrafine lineup. This monitor is probably going to cost well north of a 1000 USD, and here I am wondering: “what if EVE would make this monitor”. Exactly the same idea as with the 4k spectrum. Use the LG panel etc., but spend that little extra attention to detail that makes the monitor (have the potential) to be perfect. 4k 60hz would be amazing, just for content consumption/creation on a reasonable screen size. I think there’d be crazy demand for something like this!

8 Likes

Interesting idea. It would really depend of the final price to reach the mass market.

3 Likes

How suitable are OLED-monitors really for PC-use considering the worries/issues that exist regarding burn-ins?

1 Like

FWIW: Vincent of HDTVTest unboxed said monitor. Retails for $3996.99

https://youtu.be/R1Ha_9LajOE

thanks for the information.

I actually keep wondering why they don’t make a white oled backlight for LCD’s. This would be an interesting full array backlight scheme if not per pixel they could at least make larger pixels with way more dimming zones than led or micro led can achieve I think. Not sure how bright it could get but id be interested to see someone at least test it out.

There’s something similar being done right now by HiSense, but instead of oled they stack two LCD panels together

Dual cell is quite different to what I was suggesting. They both might accomplish the same thing, my idea uses the OLED layer as the backlight.

For some reason it’s impossible to find any 15" < X < 43" OLED panels. they are either cell phone size or TV size. but monitor sized OLED panels are practically non existent. There’ have been few 13" laptop OLEDs, but that’s it.

I love OLED, but some info:

Micro LED is still able to go very dense – e.g. 100,000 LEDs for a backlight.

Micro LED is superior in brightness than OLED. OLED is very poor in brightness, and it’s not ideal for the brightness-surges needed for a motion blur reduction strobe backlight.

This is why Oculus Quest 2 VR LCD (0.3ms MPRT) has less motion blur than Oculus Rift VR OLED (2ms MPRT) because of how discrete LED can surge brightness during low-persistence flashes during motion blur reduction techniques (strobe backlight modes).

Also, it is possible that 100,000-pixel monochrome Micro LED is cheaper than 24-million-pixel color OLED, so very good Micro LED local dimming at densities far beyond Apple’s new iPad is possible.

But if a good sufficiently-bright monochrome OLED can be built, then it should be used. The question is, which horse will win this cheap three-figure-priced dense-FALD LCD race?

5 Likes

I think you mean miniLED which is the backlighting tech (what Apple is using). MicroLED is the self emissive tech that will hopefully replace OLED if they can get the price down

MiniLED and MicroLED actually kind of blends into each other at 100,000 LED count though, depending on screen size – so the terminology actually blends into each other.

FALD backlights can be any of these. A low-density monochrome MiniLED (1000s-count), or a high-density monochrome MicroLED (100,000+ count). Even a monochrome OLED can be used as the LCD backlight too.

They can even be monochrome LCD screens backlighting color LCD screens as a contrast-ratio amplifier (e.g. HiSense DualCell LCD)

FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) backlights are equivalent to low resolution monochrome screens behind a color LCD panel. Whether be a 2nd LCD, OLED, LED bulb matrix, MiniLED, or MicroLED.

From a consumer point of view (at least during 2010-2019 at Best Buy), a “LED television” is actually an LED-backlit LCD television. The industry is simply reusing terminology in a similar way. But at the parts supplier level, MiniLED versus MicroLED are just LED modules of different pixel pitches, whether direct-view or as the backlight of a LCD. The pixel pitch threshold is not exactly standardized, but once it falls well below a millimeter pitch, it is generally considered a MicroLED module.

For example, there is a local-dimming VR LCD prototype that use MicroLED module as the local dimming backlight, since such small VR LCDs requires MicroLED pixel densities to avoid bloom artifacts.

For a path to the cheaper 3-figure local dimming, MiniLED will be cheaper and still stunning. But it’s not the final frontier.

9 Likes