EVE Modular 'Box' Concept (includes eGPU/Mini tower PC/Docking station/ AiO and more)

This ones pretty cool. Its not finalized and because of its scope there is a lot of flexibility in what is possible. Its a modular architecture that incorporates multiple devices typologies including Mini PC, PC Dock, upgradeable AiO, eGPU and many more. Please read the PDF for further explanation as I wont post any pictures here because they wont explain the idea fully.

Hope you like it, please feel free to comment.

EVE Portable AiO Concept
Revised proposal for modular dock with GPU
An eve desktop pc
To eGPU or not to eGPU?

Hey agree that this is a pretty cool! I didn’t read in fine detail, but I get the concept, inspired no doubt by the hi-fi separates of old!

The only thought which is a challenge is whether you do want to physically centralise everything into one place. I mean my wifi router I like to be close to where the line comes into my house, but this is no where near the living room, and I’d want my main PC to be in the study, thermostat in the hall way etc etc.

Nowadays a decent WiFi router means you have everything connected without needing to be physically connected.

Also by having everything together I see the benefits of sharing, but also you lose the ability to custom buy dedicated bits best suited for a job. Eg if you buy into this concept you can only ever buy from eve, even if it isn’t best in market.

Overall, defo a cool idea, one to develop, but I think you’d need all the different industries to adopt the standard, one (small) company alone may well struggle to cover all the bases here.

About the one place question. The architecture allows for different ‘archetypes’ like router pc, dock. They aren’t the same ‘box’ its just that the parts a interchangeable. The ‘bodies’ create the archetypes. So a router and pc aren’t the same box but can use the same modules.

The rest of you post is spot on, originally this was a concept for Microsoft (hence the Xbox archetype) but seeing as its based on an open standard (usb-c) Eve can easily make it an open spec and any OEM can add to it.

True it would be difficult but Eve doesn’t have to do it all in one go they can take their time a build the modules the community wants most first.

I like this idea (and was thinking about a HiFi-rack-like pc before)… This could be the easiest way to provide to the customer exactly what he wants while not having thousands of different types of one device…

Man you make one wondering how your brain is wired when I see those well thought over hyper creative ideas coming out.
Congratulations ! (let’s be honest: it makes me a bit jealous)

Wow that’s one hell of a compliment. If its any conciliation these ideas are like two years of refinement and adjustment so its not like they magically happen overnight. they do start with a crazy idea spark but often go in a non obvious direction. For example this idea started with what if the Xbox one was modular and grew from there . You just push the idea as far as you can without breaking it. Keep asking what if I try it like this?.

From what I’ve got to play with HP Elite Slice, this general idea brings train of thought back to 80’s with those stereo sets… in a bad way. I really like the idea of modularity, but in this case it seems forced. PC system itself is pretty modular by default, and adding design-values to it it adds looks, but takes away true user choice when looking at upgrades. In regard of that, I see that Eve has the best bang for buck + design elements, but for those stackable devices it’s hard to compete with custom PC builds apart from design and how compact the system really is. After that comes all those performance challenges.

I really like the idea, and I’d love to see it work as I’d imagine it should work… but if you start to compare traditional PC build to this kind of design, you’re gonna be in despair if you want to beat competition (not limited to other stack builds, but traditional as well).

Hopefully I didn’t sound too harsh, I might change my mind if the numbers stack up :wink:

Just thinking aloud about features that could make this work:

• Size - if its small neat and compact this will be a selling point

• Ease of use - if everything “just works”, it doesn’t need to be bleeding edge tech wise, but adeqaute for majority of domestic needs, it will sell well as a simple all in one solution to the masses. Granted it won’t be the best of breed tech wise for the tech savvy people here, but then again I don’t think that would be realistic

• Cost - by packaging it up into modules, you can sell the basic core unit as a loss leader and then have the profit margins on the additional modules. By breaking it down, the whole thing will be more affordable to pay off.

The market for this could be for people less inclined to do lots of shopping around for best tech and would value style and “it just works” over performance. e.g. a bit like Apple core values? As such however, it would take a different sub set of the community to think like this target audience to develop the product.

While I agree with your general argument I don’t think towers are as upgradeable as people think they are. At least not anymore.

If I want a new cpu I most likely need a new motherboard thus it’s basically a new PC. People always say how upgradable tower PCs are but it’s a fallacy because all the components are interdependent your not going to run a gtx 1080 on a xp machine with 1gb ram and a pentium 4 so if you have to replace most of the parts anyway is it still he same PC.

Yes upgrability dramatically increases the life of the product but so does modularity and I would argue modularity is better because you can also increase the functionality not just upgrade parts but add new parts like adding a hdd module to a router to make it a home server or adding a blu ray drive to a TV set top box to make it a better 4k machine.

My modular design isn’t any less upgradeable than a tower PC the only difference is the size constraints but that’s also true for any small tower case. Also with a standardise module system we can guarantee easy plug and play upgradbility no need to get a screw driver out. You can still upgrade ram etc. And if you want to upgrade cpu and motherboard I see no reason why we can’t sell a bare bones version.

Oh and it’s far more than just a modular PC. The most interesting variant for this community is probably the modular dock. You can add a GPU HDD etc directly to the dock.

Correct its basically a mac mini on steroids :slight_smile:

Another key point is you get to build the device you want and cater it to your personal needs, the device can grow as your needs change like adding a hard drive to an PC. I think this is much better than being forced to buy whatever is available at your local tech store because those are usually lowest common denominator setups

VESA ergonomic arm docking mount for Eve V?

Most of the people are not able or don’t want to open the housing of their tower pc. They just want a working solution. If it’s really “plug and play”, this would be a great new device. Upgradeable with a Alexa or Cortana and so on…

EVE Portable AiO Concept

I’m looking at your 3rd slide and all those devices either absolutely have to be in different locations, or they’re already “unified” (for example most routers have a USB port that you can connect hard drives to).

Absolutely wrong. These things are damn expensive to produce, and it’s sssoooooo niche that they’d have to run ultra-low quantities. I bet even if Eve sold them for half the production price, they would still be more expensive than building a PC and buying all those other devices separately.

Oh you mean overpriced shit? They only have one core value, you know…

No. It’s not. Desktops are just as upgradable as they ever were. Sure you will need a new motherboard when you buy a new processor. That was always the case. In fact, there were times esch motherboard was made specifically for a single CPU model. Now you can put entire two generations of Intel processors (maybe three after they broke tick-tock) into the same motherboard socket without upgrading anything else.

Unlike laptops, desktops are actually modular. Maybe you don’t have a desktop? Let me explain. Why in the world would you still be living with Pentium 4 when GTX 1080 is already out? It would partially make sense with a laptop: you need a lot of money to buy a new one, and if you want it to have GTX1080 you’ll have to save up a long time. But with a desktop, you can upgrade your CPU without changing your GPU. Or the other way around. You can upgrade it in incremental steps, for example buy a CPU + motherboard for $300. Then buy a GPU for another $200. No one’s asking you to wait around with your Pentium 4 in 2017 just to get a new GPU.

Umm, wat? Explain plz. Does this mean “upgradeable with a microphone+speakers”?

Yes. You’re right. Amazons Alexa-blinking-speaking-thing is selling like fresh bread… Why not building to this modular concept a box which is “Alexa” or “Cortana” for the thumb masses… Your problem is, that you are thinking only for your special case. I am thinking about what the standard user wants. And this standard user don’t want to use a screwdriver to change the graphics card of his PC. He just want to be sure if he buys this new component that he just have to plug it to the right position…done. TB3 is a great opportunity here!!!

Think about an adaption to the old HiFi Racks… One main component and then up to ten extra components to plug in. Every one in the same housing just with other technics inside. Why should this be so expensive? People just can buy what they need. It’s again your special fault that you don’t care about the masses: again: they don`t want to use a screwdriver to build a PC for their needs…

I think the challenge here, and with any kind of similar product brain storming, is that we haven’t set the target market. Instead we come at it from our own different perspectives, which is fine, but without some parameters, it’s hard to get some order out of all the great ideas.

It’s somewhat interesting that the one thing I thought you’d have issue with is the one thing you haven’t mentioned :D. That issue being that it uses a custom EGPU solution with custom PCB and power supply rather than a off the shelf add in card.

As for your concerns most of them are unfounded or negligible. Such as cost and the fact that existing devices are ‘unified’ which I are points I disagree with.

On the point about upgradeability I don’t think the fact that tower PC’s are modular in the slightest I think this is a fallacy because all the components on a PC are highly interdependent the only case for PC upgrability is relatively small improvements or adding something layer because you can afford it right now by the same is true for my modular design.

A cpu is highly dependent on a motherboard (AMD VS intel, socket type etc) a motherboard is dependant on power supply unit (connector types and wattage etc) ram is dependent on the motherboard and so are hard drives (connector types, interface bottlenecks etc) the only thing that’s truly upgradeable is PCie components but with Tb3 thease no longer need to be bound to the tower. And even then all new PCie components are contingent on the rest of the PC being reasonably power (my gtx 1080 in an xp machine point) so if I need to replace everything anyway, only the case stays the same and even that isn’t a guarantee,. what is the difference between upgrading everything in the same case or just buying/building a whole new PC, a £50 case? Just because you can replace everything does not make it the same PC it just looks the same.

The only major advantage of towers is the ability to do peice meal upgrades and upgrading PCie components which are both moot points as they’re included in my design. Yes tb3 will eventually become a bottleneck but by then you’ll want to upgrade the PC module anyway and you get tb4 with it.

I chose my words carefully, I’m not saying it’ll be cheaper, I’m saying you can buy up module over time, hence a series of smaller payments rather than a lump sum up front. I agree it’ll be more expensive this way, but some people like the idea of core stuff first and then get the nice to haves over time.

A challenge I guess will be the lifespan of each module. Ie I buy a core unit now with a few modules, then 2 years later the module I want is outdated and I need to upgrade my core stuff again to get the functionality I want.

Anyhow, all theoretical atm!

Actually the lifespan mainly depends on the life span of a usb-c connector I’m certain that tb4 and USB 4.0 or whatever will use the same type c connector and will be backwards compatible. Therefore this concept has a really long life span. It is Usb-c and tb3 that make something like this possible without creating a proprietary interface like lenovo did.

Well, I guess I’m thinking about the people I see every day. Seems like we live in different worlds, lol… Over here, for the money you save by not buying into a “modular” concept, you could have your PC upgraded by a professional, including diagnostics. I don’t personally know anyone who would prefer spending more money :smile:

But you can do the same with a normal desktop… And it’s cheaper…

I mean guys I do see that some people might like this. It looks cool and all. But I don’t see anyone actually paying for it… Unless you put a glowing bitten apple on it, which we can’t.

Not really… Just like a desktop computers, you will need to worry about other things such as new RAM standard, new SATA, etc. - those have to be supported by the motherboard, so you’ll have to update the core unit.