Eve i7 reports running at 1.30GHz 1.61GHz

Is my my Eve i7 supposed to be running (plugged-in power and all) at this speed? Not sure what to expect of these Y processors reporting. My current experience with Windows update failure loop has me suspect already that maybe something is mis configured here out of the box.

Any advice on interpreting this 1.30GHz number would be helpful.

Try the XTU and see if the reported speeds are still the same.

XTU? Sorry, havent been on Windows for 15 years, this is my first experience back with a virgin machine.

can you share a screenshot of your results?

The Intel Xtreme Utility app.

The builtin Task Manager could show you the clock speed in real-time

Here for example (not from the V)

What you would want to see is the large “Speed” section, the one that says 0.99 GHz in that picture. The Core i7 model should be able to go to 3.6 GHz when needed, and slows down when not needed, to save battery.

All the other numbers are really not relevant for a Y processor configured with TDP-up in practice.

My Core m3 is rated at 1.00 GHz, and has the “Maximum Speed” of 1.60 GHz, but those numbers dont really do anything. 1.00 GHz is the minimum sustained-load clock when configured at 4.5W TDP, and 1.60 GHz is the minimum sustained-load clock when configured at 7W TDP. Thats the minimum clock guaranteed by Intel, but most, if not all V, could easily maintain 2 GHz in sustained loads, and up to 3.6 GHz (i7) in burst loads.

Thanks so much for this. Super helpful!

Is the CPU supposed to be 1.30Ghz for the i7 model?

Yes, based on this link being correct - https://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Thanks I found the info I was looking for, it is correct. Burstable to 3.6Ghz.

Yep this is normal.
Basically the cpu lowers it’s clock when not needed to improve battery life :slight_smile:

@iKirin : Thanks! Just getting used to this Windows world. I’ve been limping along on a i5 4GB SP4 while waiting for V. In general, I’m finding the 16GB i7 V to be quite snappy. I have to “reset” it tomorrow so I can try to get it to auto update properly so I can feel comfortable loading software onto it to put it through its paces; but so far, it’s much snappier than my SP4 and certainly compares for general browsing, Javascript apps to my mid-2014 i7 Macbook Pro.

No problem! Windows is it’s own kind of beast when you’re not used to it and especially new installs like to act up - after the first week however it’s usually smooth sailing in my experience :slight_smile:

Any one know how meltdown or snapdragon fixes are effecting Y cpu. I am concerned a bit.

As I bought an i7 16/1tb. For the pre March delivery sale. I am replacing a sp4 i5/8/256. The Eve was interesting for its ports and price.

For gaming I plan on using a hp omen egpu. It’s my every day usage. Especially large Excel spreadsheets

It will affect Y exactly the same way as any other Skylake and Kaby Lake CPU. In general, however, there is no impact in the vast majority of uses. Its only noticeable in VM.

Hi Patrick,

That’s what I was thinking then I hear all these benchmark reports. Forget for gaming I’m planing on an egpu, as well ran amounts. Will not really be pushing cpu. And I know with egpu (lightning)frame rates aren’t as high desktop. But a vast improvement from internal. I just want onstream my Xbox one/pc shared games for a little lunch break.