Eve Desk Speakers

Hello everyone! I’d love to see Eve make some speakers, especially since Spectrum doesn’t have any, so I decided to make this post to gather opinions from the community and maybe Eve will decide to make them!

First, there are some polls so I can gather information and we can see what the community wants, then I posted some quick renders I made of some ideas for the design. Please leave your opinions and any suggestions in the comments!

Do you want Eve to make speakers?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Are you planning on buying speakers to use with Spectrum?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

What type of design do you like?

• Bookshelf
  • Soundbar
  • Floor Standing
  • Computer
  • Custom Design
  • Other

0 voters

What connection options do you want?

• 3.5mm
  • XLR
  • TRS
  • RCA
  • USB
  • Bluetooth
  • Optical
  • Other

0 voters

What type of power design do you want?

• Powered
  • Passive

0 voters

How much would you spend on them?

• -$50
  • $50 - $100
  • $100 - $150
  • $200 - $250
  • $300 - $400
  • $500+

0 voters

Where would you place the speakers?

• Desk
  • Floor
  • Wall
  • Other

0 voters

Thank you for voting! This is just a very basic preview but let me know if you have any suggestions!

Designs

This first one is made from two pyramids forming an hourglass type shape. I decided to use pyramids since they show the Eve brand.

This is a regular “bookshelf” speaker, I based this one on the JBL 305p.

This is a smaller pyramid shape, these have a compact design and are great for small desks.

This is a small soundbar, which as you can see, can fit under the Spectrum. We could make some sort of adapter to hang in under Spectrum.

I based this one on the Razer Nommo speakers. IMO, this one looks modern and would probably have good sound. It could be paired with a separate subwoofer to create a 5.1 system.

7 Likes

Nice idea, would also love some speakers that you can put on monitor. On the upside on place with VESA mount there are no connectors, so Make option of sticking them there and connecting to monitor Razer nommo looks good. But only that Basic version
Also i have 500$ 4K lg monitor and it has 2 10w speakers which are brutal

1 Like

Maybe we can take advantage of the bottom bezel on Spectrum and attach a speaker there

I prefer using the VESA mounting system, if you do it in the right way (which isn’t hard) you can make it compatible with a lot of devices. Using the bezel will make it device depended

As for the speakers. I like the pyramids the best but it feels like there is to much wasted space. Maybe raise them a bit so there can be a down firing sub-woofer?

Also, doesn’t a 5.1 system need a central speaker as well?

5 Likes

Yeah, I was also thinking about adding a sub to the pyramids, and I think you’re right about the 5.1 system but the Razer Nommo Pro have that with the same setup as these

2 Likes

Razer nommo looks great

Hi There, I use Klipsch speakers at my home office. And they are fairly good already for using with the computer and at the desk. They pack a ok punch. I am a person who enjoys good audio quality (though I am not a super Hifi person or audio person). I do appreciate stereo sound. That said, I think the speakers should be bookshelf type of speakers and they need to be far enough apart to get the actual stereo experience. I like the look and feel of the Klipsch speakers and they have quite nice connectivity also. The speakers are Klipsch R-41PM. I would love to see how this goes forward!

2 Likes

VESA mounting system is a good idea. I think the first thing that would have to be considered there is the vibrations, I dont know since I am not familiar with mounts too much. But vibrations on the speakers can be quite big, depending on the technology and size used in the speakers.

3 Likes

Cool designs! I also like the pyramids. We should also get some understanding of the physical requirements, what are the form factors that give the best output performance. To my, very limited understanding, the sound comes from the design of the echo chamber and the driving elements. Some new innovations in this field also include some different approaches to the subject like drivers put inside the chamber and playing around with their size and shape. My favorite concept though is the two pyramids!

2 Likes

There are ways to mitigate that. For example a shockmount, though that might be a bit over engineered for this use case

2 Likes

Or then as a solution would be foam around the speakers if they are mounted, like desk stands have. I am currently using a dedicated foam footing for the speakers on the table. This enables me to have a small tilt angle for the speakers and removes vibrations.

3 Likes

It’s not uncommon to see foam base for higher end speakers no :smiley: But maybe shockmounting the inside of the speaker should reduce the vibrations of the outer shell…?

And, they are desktop speakers, not audio monitors. Probably the subwoofer would be detached due to the formfactor. How much vibrations would there be. My vesa arm also vibrates when typing and I don’t really notice it if I aren’t looking for it.

2 Likes

I think it would be a dangerous market to dabble in. I’m new to Eve so I don’t know how far the company goes with their commitment to the products, but even if you really take the plunge the audio segment is an area where you need years of expertise to make a good product. And as there already are a lot of high quality and affordable options from established brands I’d think you’d burn your fingers by trying to create a product that sounds good and at the same time hits the $50-150 segment that most have voted for here.
You can’t just make a good design and slap on the best bang for the buck drivers and amplifiers and expect it to perform. I’d be afraid that you’d waste money on development of a product that will only satisfy the low-end consumer which would affect your brands reputation.

4 Likes

To my understanding there are quite basic things to get the audio right, again not sure. It should be more about how to tune it. Same things as in the headphones. There are also a bunch of small local vendors around the globe with killer technology and a willingness to test different things out. The audio business is a interesting one and I personally feel the entry barrier is more of a brand loyalty to the product. Having watched some of these audio companies from a far and some from very nearby it seems to be the case. Anyhow, I respectfully disagree :smile: but Im partial. But I am talking about a little more expensive hardware. My computer speakers set me back some aroun $250. I also have a pair of studio monitors in my living room which are really good.

4 Likes

I think that razer nommo looks best, but if it would have only one floor and subwoofer it will be very nice. Make voting about subwoofer

Maybe we could add desk and a pole so you could set the speakers up higher. and more outside of your desk. That way you free space, remove vibrations, angle them to your head naturally and the poles can be hollow to make cable management easier.

You could, in that case, also go crazy with some very high but shallow design.

1 Like

But many people want to hear vibrations. So subwoofer would be nice.

1 Like

Are we talking a top tier, audiophile product or just something to make up for Spectrum not having speakers? It seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to make a decent set of speakers that compliment Spectrum visually and provide solid sound for most uses.

1 Like

Well, from the budgets that the users are selecting it wouldn’t exactly be top tier but definitely not bad

I like the sound of that. :yum: But seriously, that seems like a great way to go. No point in trying to compete with high-end speakers. As long as you have decent sound at a good price you can focus on making speakers that are unique in their shape/appearance and feature set.

1 Like