EVE 4K144 Spectrum is a fantastic Arcade Cabinet Panel with Near-CRT Motion

Hello, all…
Doing further tests of Blur Busters strobe tuning of EVE Spectrum’s motion blur reduction mode.

I did some emulator tests on my EVE Spectrum prototype with my Blur Busters Strobe Tuning.

Damn. I think the EVE Spectrum makes a fantastic Original / RetroArch / MAME panel. Probably one of the best LCDs for a standup arcade machine. Hopefully this produces a legitimate alternative to CRTs because CRTs are getting rare and harder to find.

And Blur Busters has been working hard on making strobing more retro-friendly with multiple manufacturers with single-strobe 60 Hz built into the monitor without needing “software BFI”. But this panel, specifically, seems to tick multiple checkboxes for arcade cabinet builders:

1. Size similar to arcade CRT. A portrait EVE Spectrum is approximately the same width as a portrait arcade machine CRT tube (Just taller, but can be masked off if you want to a more 4:3 shape, for portrait games like Galaxian or whatever without excess LCD showing)

2. Retro friendly motion blur reduction. EVE Spectrum supports retro-friendly motion blur reduction built into its hardware. It has less motion blur than a plasma display. True hardware 50Hz / 60Hz single strobe, with the motion clarity more resembling CRT than LCD. 100% image retention proof, no burn in, no need for software BFI on this LCD. Compatible with all real & emulated games / MAME / FPGA / original arcade machine (via HDMI Fury type adaptor). Perfectly clear SEGA Sonic Hedgehog games!

3. Slim bezel, flat back, stand is optional. EVE Spectrum is slim bezel and can be purchased without a monitor stand.

4. Ease of mounting inside Arcade Cabinet. EVE Spectrum is easy to wood-mount inside a MAME cabinet. The Eve Spectrum uses rectangular protrusions on its rear – beveled rear shape – that makes it stupidly easy to build a wood frame to securely hold an Eve Spectrum in a MAME arcade machine cabinet.

IMPORTANT TIP: Add a quiet slow-spinning 120mm or 160mm fan inside the cabinet to cool-off the waste heat emitted inside the closed cabinet, since the Spectrum 4K144 gets too warm in a fully enclosed area.

1. Resolution for CRT filter. CRT filters look kickass at 4K. MAME HLSL type filters. 'Nuff said.

2. Color gamut of CRT. NanoIPS gamut makes it more colorful, similar to a real CRT tube. No “crappy LightBoost colors”, this is strobing at better than NTSC color space!

The main thing that seems to look off (relative to a CRT tube) is the flatness of the display, and imperfect LCD blacks, but par for the course for current LCDs. One can put a tempered glass layer on top, to hide the LCD’s flatness and protect the LCD from damage in an arcade machine.

The design of Eve Spectrum is all accidentally coincidental to being perfect for an arcade cabinet.

Even though the “144Hz” feature of EVE Spectrum will become dormant when an EVE Spectrum is installed in a 60Hz arcade cabinet, it’s one of the best arcade LCDs I’ve seen.

Note: Due to science & physics, refresh rate headroom is very good for CRT-clarity at low Hz – since higher-Hz panels tend to do a better job of blur-reducing 60 Hz. A faster-refreshing screen has more time to hide LCD pixel response between refresh cycles in the dark period, unseen by eyes. Creating a more CRT-like image. So the 144 Hz feature should not scare away 60 Hz cabinet builders.

25 Likes

Nice! never would have even thought about that.

7 Likes

Great news!
I found a way to reduce 60 Hz emulator latency by almost 10 milliseconds for Eve Spectrums, see this for more info:

9 Likes

I have no idea what any of this means (its way over my head) but it sounds impressive.

I wonder if anyone with the appropriate skills (not me) would be up for writing a tuning guide? I feel a lot of people will be using the Eve in 4K but then lowering in game resolutions to get higher FPS (thats what I do) and it would be great to get an idea the best way to that. Enable GPU scaling or let the Spectrum handle it? 1440 or 1080 (1440 being more pixels but 1080 being “cleaner” as an exact % of 4K)?

6 Likes

If I understand what @BlurBusters has been saying then really for the average user the factory calibration is more then enough and you do not need to do any advanced tuning yourself to get a good experience out of the box. Only people who are sensitive to it or those who use the monitor for specific applications that need the extreme tuning will want to do this.

8 Likes

That’s correct – the default strobe tuning is sufficient for most users.

Just like not everyone needs to buy a colorimeter for DIY color tuning.

Similiar “advanced user” perspective for strobe tuning.

9 Likes

Update: I have determined Eve Spectrum is compatible with original arcade motherboards – via a good compatible adaptor that is purpose built for retrofitting LCDs into old arcade machines! (Like this or others)

So this is not just limited to emulators – but real original arcade motherboards!

The backlight strobing feature still works with original 1980s arcade motherboards for 60Hz (through purpose-built video signal adaptors). 60Hz arcade games will function with the existing factory tuned 60Hz strobe.

The only problem with the adaptor approach on original arcade machines – is that CRT filters may not always be available in the adaptor. Some of them support it, albeit not necessarily 4K, so there’s pros/cons involved. However, the non-emulator route works.

I’ve edited the above posts to decouple it somewhat from just being MAME-only;

9 Likes

Funnily enough I just posted a similar thing on the RetroPie forums thinking that the Eve Spectrum could be the perfect monitor for retro gaming. However I thought it would be excellent for a couple of other reasons:

i) The integer scaling of odd resolutions (as this post https://eve.community/t/eve-spectrum-prototype-tester-marat-tanalin/29116 explains)

ii) Brightness as when you add black in between the fake scanlines (integer sized only scalines!) you need to make up for the lack of light i.e at 5x integer scale with 2 pixel wide scanlines, 60% of the screen is black and you need to make up for that - hopefully the Eve Spectrum is bright enough!

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/30963/better-than-crt-quality

6 Likes

Do any of the Spectrum models have support for 1920x1440? This is the maximum supported output resolution of the Retrotink 5x.

CRT motion clarity here we come!

I tested a few custom resolutions from my GPU to the Eve Spectrum 4K144 and it worked fine.

I did not specifically test 1920x1440, but scaling may not be ideal at that resolution unless you mask-off the spectrum screen on the arcade cabinet. .

2 Likes

When will your review be posted on your website?

1 Like

Blur Busters is a tests-inventor and monitor-researcher – not a monitor reviewer.

For example, Blur Busters

• Invents display tests used by many reviewers (e.g. TestUFO, pursuit camera)
  • Helps manufacturers on contract basis (e.g. Blur Busters Strobe Tuning)
  • Creates explainer articles for high-Hz (e.g. Display Research Articles)
  • Creates special edition monitor technology tests (e.g. G-SYNC 101)

Dozens of monitor reviewers use Blur Busters invented tests, that’s why you see the Blur Busters UFO in many monitor reviewer articles. But we don’t compete against the users of our inventions;

5 Likes