EGPU - graphic card compatibility

Hi folks!
V seems to work properly with GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080 but what about compatibility with new series as 20, 16, Titan or AMD?

1 Like

Hi Jofe,

The only spec requirement to run an eGPU is a Thunderbolt 3 connection. As long as the eGPU enclosure fully supports the new generation of GPUs, they should function properly. Just remember to perform a clean install of the latest drivers.

4 Likes

Thank you Lore_Wonder.
What about the limitation of performance due to the processor (I have got the i7 with 16Go)
I think is not a good idea to spend money for a very high performance graphic card so Do you have recommandation for recent model?

I have used an eGPU RTX 2070 with the processor E-2176M of ThinkPad P1 for gaming; therefore, I had some experience. It is not uncommon to see a 50% drop in graphics performance compare with an RTX 2070 in a proper PC. Depends on the game you play, you may encounter a similar situation.

I recommend a GTX 1650 Super. Due to performance lose, the result might not justify the price of an enclosure + a 1650 Super. I prefer to build a budget / high-end PC by myself for gaming.

3 Likes

:+1: I will try with 1650 or 1660. I only want extra praphic power to speed up editing photo or movies with my V (no gaming)

2 Likes