Eco-centered and human-centered topic

Hi,

I know that most of people won’t be interested in this topic but for me it’s a pretty important one.

The goal here is not to any Inquisition inquiry or anything but to have a precise idea about 3 precise point of fabrication of the V.

1/ How much neodym components are in the V?
2/ How much tantale condensators are in the V?
3/ On which part of the process of assembly do you have eyes on, regarding to child employment?
Thanks in advance to the @Team to answer those questions?

4 Likes

The first two questions may need a little time to get an answer, as for the third;

There is no child labor in our factory, with workers ranging from 18- to 34-years old.

Other information about working conditions and wages of our assembly workers can be found in this post from @Mike, answering some questions from @Eldr:

First time posting a topic so let me know if I’m doing it wrong or if this conversation has happened elsewhere.

Hi. I’m Mike. One of the core members of the company, I’ll address your questions one by one.

Firstly, nothing wrong in posting this. Absolutely fine & congrats, you made your first post :slight_smile:

Was wondering if there had been any discussion or info shared on the working conditions and wages of those who will be assembling the device?

There has been, but not in the community. We’ve spoken about this topic in depth with the insiders but that was ages ago. Its good to clarify these questions once again, publicly.

Are the suppliers at all transparent on such issues and do they offer any certification that they meet or exceed all industry regulations?

As there are tens of thousands of suppliers, some are naturally more transparent than others. But truth be told, you can see it easily when you walk in a factory and take a look at people in the production lines:

• do they tired or normal?
  • sad or happy?
  • are they healthy or sick?

and so on. Common sense works here.

We’ve never seen any abuse or child labor on any of the factories in this project. However we have seen some not so nice stuff when we started building our supply chain from the bottom of the “food chain”.

Are there any existing international industry standards that could be used to determine what is acceptable and what is not since laws vary between countries and regions?

There are some international labor laws, such as ILO, treaties and so on. The thing is we are a small time customer to big factories and we have no means to affect how they conduct their business.

One important thing to understand in the discussion is that mostly (according my my experience) things are just fine at the factories. Media brings out the small amount of extemely bad situations (like suicides in foxconn).
These megacorporations like foxconn grown out of hand and on some things, extreme results happen.

We also have to remember foxconn employs more than a million people, and statistically (suicides once again as an example) the suicide rate might not at all be bigger than within the general population.

Bottom line is: the conditions are good or “all right” in majority of the factories, but not all of them.

If we ever see anything violating human rights, we WILL interfere and rectify the situation or change the supplier and notify the authorities.

The media here in the states has made it seem as though device manufactures rely heavily on the exploitation of workers, through sub-standard wages and unsafe work environments, to provide us all with cheap electronics. Is this a reality or not?

As I detailed above, the media talks about what makes you click the headline. Think about a headline “everything normal at Eve’s contract manufacturer” - not so sexy?

I had this suspicion in my mind too when I started sourcing in China, but was positively surprised.

Many workers come from very poor areas of china and the factory job is way for them to help their families and save up money to return back to their home provinces. Many times the workers them selves WANT to do overtime, because they view their job as a periodical phase in their lives: they work 1 to 5 years and after they habe saved enough money, they go back to homw province, buy a house, get married and start a family.

Each year roughly 30-40% of the factory workers don’t come back to the factory after the chinese new year’s holidays.

being transparent with consumers about it’s manufacturing process

Indeed, we will show you guys videos from the factories once the production starts so you can see it yourself :slight_smile:

I personally would pay a premium for a device that I know is made by people who are fairly paid for their work and are provided a safe workplace. Does anyone else feel the same?

The factories we work with are partly the same as with the big names, partly smaller time guys. Factory workers salaries are on a constant rise and currently between 4000-5000 rmb (roughly 650 euros). This sounds like a little but is a very standard salary in China for anybody not able to speak english / no education. To put into context, salaries are not higher in many poorer countries of the EU (Greece, Romania, etc…)

We are high moral guys and I could not live with myself if I knew other people suffer just for us to make a cent on the dollar more.

I don’t think you have to worry about this thing :slight_smile:

I hope this answers all your questions!

7 Likes

I am also interested in these kind of Topics. This is and will continue becoming more and more relevant in the future. At least I hope so. It’s a political thing, I know, but isn’t the entire Eve and V Project a political thing in itself, in the sense that it is very much anti establishment? It is one of the Things that drew me here, really.

Plus, of course everybody knows it’s never possible to be “unpolitical”. I would really like to see the Eve Projects move in this direction more, opening up for aspects of transparency, sustainability, fair Labor etc. in as many ways as possible. Pushing boundaries not only development-wise could be the next step in raising public awareness, and I think it can be done with an overseeable amount of effort. Besides the obvious moral inclination, from a rational business perspective, there is an ever-growing market and public interest in this direction. It could be another big part of differenciating oneself from the big Players in the tech market, like for example fair phone.

Okay, I’ll stop before I go overboard haha. It is a Topic that I am very passionate about and that I think is highly relevant :wink:

Anyways, what is Neodym and Tantale? Conflict resources? Is this stuff being payed Attention to?
@Helios the link doesn’t work for me. “Sorry, I don’t have Access to that topic’”

4 Likes

Looks like I forgot to check that the old post wasn’t in the Archive. I’ve replaced the link with a quote of the post I was referring to for your convenience!

3 Likes

merci beaucoup or whatever’s the spelling

what did that entail?

I was quoting from a topic that’s over a year old, but maybe @Mike can still shed some light on that…

Neodyme : https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Néodyme

Sorry it s in French. But it s an element from the periodic table. If my memory recalls it correctly, it’s for memory capacitor but need to check it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet
It’s largely used in smartphones. But to produce it, the process is really really bad an one specific region in China have been dedicated to that and it s now radioactive … so you can see why it’s important.

Tantale it s for energy capacitor which gives the ability to your smartphone to keep something in memory even shut off.
And the mining processing of tantale is one of the baddest one humanly possible … it s in majority in Congo with not machinery only human, child also, and they are everyday new deaths because of it.
It s à French documentary… sorrr to not have an English one : https://youtu.be/w2PZQ-XprQU

It’s better if you see the image.

2 Likes

merci again, to quote myself on this

The elements in English would be neodymium and tantalum.

2 Likes

I didn’t have the time yet to cross referenced this doc with any bbc or cnn doc on those 3 matters.
I’m sure there are. Just it’s time consuming.

What I can say, it’s that I totally trust this team of journalists. Those are major investigators journalists in France like the one in Iceland who have been investigating the ex-prime minister scandal about panama papers.

Si really trustworthy. It’s not like those scandal documentaries or anything like that.

1 Like

Thanks @Helios sorry :slight_smile:

bbc ok, pbs (which you did not mention), too; but cnn? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why not CNN? They do investigation journalism top from time to time.
Merry Christmas by the way

Hello Eve!

I’m curious and interested in your hardware, and when I have the spending cash, the V sits pretty high on my preferred options :slight_smile:

One thing that factors into my purchasing is the ethics of the supply chain of the company I want to buy from, so I’m curious about what materials Eve’s products are made from. Where they come from, and whether or not there are any conflict minerals that part of V are things that I care about, and things I want to vote for with my purchasing habits.

Are there any resources or places I could read to get more information?

Hi @Paragon10000, and welcome to eve.community!

I’ve moved your post into a topic dealing with the same or similar issues. Give it a read, and feel free to ask any remaining questions!

1 Like

Don’t forget to give me some answers about what I asked already…:slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t want to wait, you can also try to find out what the different parts of the V contain by yourself. @mirv was kind enough to tear down one of the prototypes and, if I’m not mistaken, he named most of the components to the best of his knowledge as well in here. So, at least searching for the components used in the main parts shouldn’t be a problem as long as the manufacturers provided them somewhere. For things like the motherboard we’ll probably need Eve’s help though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah we need their help to trace back the factory but yeah it s a good start