Dual boot + lower price + eve v = perfect 2 in 1 tablet

images (4)

I was interested in buying a 2 In 1 tablet/PC ever since I heard about the surface pro but my problem
With them was that they are always just either an Android tablet with a keyboard or a windows computer without a keyboard.

So I was really going to buy the chuwi hi 12 because it had the ability to dual boot an ability which I believe every 2in1 tablet should have and because it it was really cheap until I heard all about the eve v

images (2)

images (1)

So I think it would really be great to have dual boot between Android and windows on this device.

Just think you are in school working on your eve v
Or at work on windows then you return home just boot your eve v to Android and use it as a tablet.

It is really simple really easy and would make the eve v the almost perfect 2 in 1 except for the price
Speaking of which I really like the eve v but I think having a plastic version would make this a little bit more affordable I am not saying you should get rid of the current aluminum build but I am saying it would be nice if you had a cheaper plastic version
that’s more affordable then it will be perfect

images (3)

I believe Android only runs on ARM architectures, and while Windows maybe able to (can someone more knowledgeable confirm this?) that would mean giving up lots of performance that Intel’s x86 architecture provides. Not to mention that windows is already pretty good as a tablet OS, aside from having a few less quality apps than Android, but even that is improving.

As for the aluminum body, that design was chosen by the community, who decided they wanted a higher end design than a plastic body could give. Having an aluminum housing also helps with heat dissipation and preventing the device from needing to throttle.

And as for price…what price is too expensive? Eve has not announced pricing for models sold through the web shop and the prices they gave in the Indegogo campaign were extremely good for the quality of the device, especially since they threw in the screen upgrade for free.

Not trying to disrespect your opinions, just presenting my own. Devices that dual boot and/or have plastic bodies do certainly come with advantages, those things just aren’t what the V is all about.

PS

I went ahead and changed the category this thread was posted in, as the Forum feedback category is reserved for feedback specifically about the forum itself and how it works.

I have to say I genuinely don’t believe the V can be described as expensive when it’s compared with the surface tablets. They are what is in its spec range and the V is significantly cheaper.

I mean i’d like to get a V for 100 euro. But the parts simply cost more than that.

There’s actually Android x86, which can be easily dual booted with Windows on most Windows computers.

Android x86 info here

Looks interesting, but I seriously doubt you can install and run apps from sources like Google Play. Might be useful for a developer doing some enthusiast programming, but if you can’t use it like a regular Android device, the average consumer won’t care. Have you used it?

I use it quite often actually, and I’ve been using it for about 5 or 6 years now. You can install most things from Google Play, and it all runs quite smoothly. There are a few bugs that haven’t (as far as I know) been worked out yet; for example, the OS can’t yet properly pick up the h.265 video codec (for HD video streaming), but the only time I’ve had this pose an issue is when trying to use the Moonlight app to stream games using NVIDIA GameStream.

There are also a few apps (though not common) that only work on select phones/hardware, and may say that your computer doesn’t meet the proper requirements; but, again, that is very rare. For general use it works extremely well, and can also be a great way to revive an old worn-out computer. Its also (usually) easy to root, so that brings a lot of options to the table if you’d like. Two distros to bring a desktop like experience are Pheonix OS and Remix OS, which both work very well.

All in all if you have some free time, I’d highly recommend playing around with it.

I really like the idea of dual boot with both Android and Windows. Hoping the team can provide us such an option!

Microsoft is a key partner for the V so I’m not sure if that formally would evolve however, there were folks on the forum who may try / may have tried. I’m not sure what it would do to any warranty should things go awry. That said, anything inside a sandbox eg a windows based VM I’m sure is a good way to test but not sure about vm’ing the Android architecture as I’ve never tried it.

Android is (for the most part) just another linux distribution, and after reading through other threads on linux/hackintosh I can’t imagine anything that would affect the warranty. There are Android versions (like I linked above) that work on x86 architecture, but what we most commonly see is the Arm based OS (since Android was designed as a mobile OS). Many builds for this don’t even require a separate hard drive partition, just a folder in Windows and a boot grub.

Finding an x86 distro should work fine as a VM (I know it works fine in VMWare). There are also sandbox builds that run through the android development studio - RemixOS is the one that I’ve personally used, and it works quite well.

Android shouldn’t really be thought of as any different than Linux, it’s just another Linux distribution.

Why is that something the team should do? Just DIY

Remix OS is another choice…

(Note: I am not in any way shape or form connected with that company.)

No it really is not as Remix OS is dead

I like Android and I like Windows - but really: I hate dual boot. Everytime you’ve started your system you’ve a desire for an app which is currently in the other operating system. And a reboot takes too much time - even with the fast ssd’s we currently have.

Just my 2 cents.

I’ve been using it on an old notebook with Kodi/Exodus, Cinema Box, MegaBox and ShowBox… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Team won’t work on it, so either you do it yourself or someone else who is able to provides us some help. As far as I remember @pauliunas tried to boot into Android on his prototype, but failed. So seems to be a bit more difficult than just installing it.

Is phoenix os still actively being developed? I know that remix is dead now.

Sorry, but there will be no plastic version. The reason is simple, the device is passiv cooled. You know how much heat dispersion plastic has? None! That’s also the reason why it is full aluminum. A plastic device would be worse than the original device. And I don’t think it would be that much cheaper regarding the possible numbers it would be produced.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. At the time I tested it, only a couple Kaby Lake devices had been released, so no surprise the kernel didn’t support it. By now it should be alright. Even then Ubuntu already worked without issues, so it’s just a matter of updating the kernel in their builds :slight_smile:

Trust me, Windows has much more apps that are good for tablets. Not necessarily from Windows Store - some of them come as desktop apps but work incredibly well with tablets. Meanwhile, all Android apps are clearly designed for phones and they just become oversized on tablets and don’t use the screen size efficiently.

This is why I’m getting both an Hi12 and an i7 V. :slight_smile: Far as I know, The Hi12 is the best dual booter for now. The Hi13 turned out to be a disappointment, and it looks like they’re (Chuwi) stopping the making of dual boot devices.