*** This post is part of the Donald Dock project development.
*** Please check the master thread for whole project information
Duration: 27.12 - 03.01
Purpose: define the specs and feature set of Donald Dock
Hope you all enjoyed Christmas!
I had a fantastic holiday with family in beautiful Málaga !
This is also the reason why this post is delayed a bit … I am sorry but the sunshine in Spain is just so nice…
OK, let’s go back to the topic. In the step 4.2, we have voted what should be the core value of Donald Dock as middle weight dock in the market.
Compatibility and performance are the most preferable value.
Industrial design also get many votes.
So, based on above result, here is the updated description of Donald Dock
Donald Dock is a product that provides more ports to V and other notebooks to work better with peripherals.
It comes with “Middle weight” type. Most of time it stays on your desktop, with a simple plug-in to it, you immediately connected to all peripherals.
Wide range of ports and powerful performance are its essential competence in the market.
Before we vote for the ports and features, I want to clarify again about two topics discussed in the last thread:
For the proposed modular eGPU case + Dock with PCIe bus, due to the reasons in “Modularity”, we cannot implement this idea in Donald Dock.
As said, we will consider to launch a separate eGPU project in the future
So, let’s focus now on making a solid dock!
With all of our discussions and decisions in previous steps, below is a general ports and feature sets of Donald Dock
|Ports Type / Features||Technology||Qty|
|USB-C||Thunderbolt 3, USB PowerDelivery||1 - Multiple|
|USB-A||USB 2.0/3.0/3.1, USB PowerDelivery||Multiple|
|USB-C||USB 2.0/3.0/3.1, USB PowerDelivery||0 - Multiple|
|Ports for display||TBD||2 or more|
|Full size SD card port||UHS-I/UHS-II||1|
|3.5mm audio jack||1 or 2|
|Ethernet port||PCIE Gigabit||1|
|Power input port||1|
|Additional features||TBD||0 - Multiple|
1 full size SD card port and 1 Gigabit Ethernet port are confirmed.
Let’s make it more clear after this thread!
- DO NOT VOTE FOR FUN. ONLY choose what is NECESSARY for YOU, all non-necessary ports/features you choose means higher cost
- Voting result is the design guideline for EVE/design agency/manufacture, NOT representing the exact product final specification. More technical details will be discussed in the next phase – Industrial/mechanical/electronic circuit design
- This post contains a lot of polls, read ALL questions first, think about them, give your choice later, as long as it’s before the deadline Jan 03, 2018.
About Thunderbolt 3
1. How many USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 technology Donald Dock should have?
One TB3 port to connect with your laptop/notebook/tablet, additional TB3 port(s) can be used for e.g. display, data transfer, daisy chain of other TB3 devices like eGPU.
2. How many USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 technology should have power delivery?
Mainly used to charge your laptop/notebook/tablet
- More than 1
3. What should be the maximum output power for USB PowerDelivery of TB3 USB-C port ?
Basically it is the power needed by your laptop/notebook/tablet
Bigger power means bigger charger brick
About normal USB-A/USB-C ports
4. How many USB-A (USB 2.0/3.0/3.1) ports Donald Dock should have?
- More than 5
5. Besides Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port(s), how many normal USB-C (USB 2.0/3.0/3.1) ports Donald Dock should have?
- More than 2
6. Should some USB-A/USB-C ports just use USB 2.0?
- No, all these ports need to use USB 3.0/3.1
7. How many normal USB-A/USB-C ports should have power delivery?
Mainly used to charge your phone/other devices
- More than 2
About ports for display
8. What port for display Donald Dock should have (select 1-2 options)?
- USB-C (Thunderbolt 3)
- Other (please specify in the reply)
9. How to cover those uncommon ports, e.g. DVI, VGA?
- Forget about them
- Include adapters in the sales box (e.g. if Donald Dock only has HDMI port, we include male HDMI to female VGA/DVI adapters in the sales box)
- Include cables in the sales box (e.g. if Donald Dock only has HDMI port, we include male HDMI to male VGA/DVI cable in the sales box)
- Find a way to add those ports to Donald Dock
- Other solution (please specify in the reply)
About ports for data storage
10. Besides a full size SD card port, should we add MicroSD port to Donald Dock?
About ports for audio
11. What port for audio Donald Dock should have?
- 3.5mm audio jack: Audio out/in combined (one port)
- 3.5mm audio jack: Audio out/in separated (two ports)
12. How to deal with power delivery unit (charger)?
- Integrated (put the charger inside of Donald Dock housing): bigger and heavier case, but no additional charger brick
- Separate : smaller and lighter case, but a separate charger brick lying on the desk or floor
13. What is your most wanted additional feature?
- No need for additional features
- Qi wireless charging
- Integrated amplifier
- Integrated storage
- Integrated speaker
- Reserved m.2. port for SSD
- Slot/place for pen
- Other (please specify in the reply)