[Donald Dock] [Step 4.3] [POLL] Decide product specs & features

poll
project_donald_dock
official
development

*** This post is part of the Donald Dock project development.
*** Please check the master thread for whole project information

Duration: 27.12 - 03.01
Purpose: define the specs and feature set of Donald Dock

Dear community,

Hope you all enjoyed Christmas!
I had a fantastic holiday with family :family_man_woman_girl: in beautiful Málaga :sunny:!

This is also the reason why this post is delayed a bit … I am sorry but the sunshine in Spain is just so nice…

OK, let’s go back to the topic. In the step 4.2, we have voted what should be the core value of Donald Dock as middle weight dock in the market.

Compatibility and performance are the most preferable value.
Industrial design also get many votes.

So, based on above result, here is the updated description of Donald Dock

Donald Dock is a product that provides more ports to V and other notebooks to work better with peripherals.
It comes with “Middle weight” type. Most of time it stays on your desktop, with a simple plug-in to it, you immediately connected to all peripherals.
Wide range of ports and powerful performance are its essential competence in the market.

Before we vote for the ports and features, I want to clarify again about two topics discussed in the last thread:

Modularity
eGPU

For the proposed modular eGPU case + Dock with PCIe bus, due to the reasons in “Modularity”, we cannot implement this idea in Donald Dock.

As said, we will consider to launch a separate eGPU project in the future

So, let’s focus now on making a solid dock!

With all of our discussions and decisions in previous steps, below is a general ports and feature sets of Donald Dock

Ports Type / Features Technology Qty
USB-C Thunderbolt 3, USB PowerDelivery 1 - Multiple
USB-A USB 2.0/3.0/3.1, USB PowerDelivery Multiple
USB-C USB 2.0/3.0/3.1, USB PowerDelivery 0 - Multiple
Ports for display TBD 2 or more
Full size SD card port UHS-I/UHS-II 1
3.5mm audio jack 1 or 2
Ethernet port PCIE Gigabit 1
Power input port 1
Additional features TBD 0 - Multiple

1 full size SD card port and 1 Gigabit Ethernet port are confirmed.

Let’s make it more clear after this thread!

I suggest to familiar yourself again with the following threads before voting
Step 2.2
Step 3.1
Step 4.2

Principles

1. DO NOT VOTE FOR FUN. ONLY choose what is NECESSARY for YOU, all non-necessary ports/features you choose means higher cost
  2. Voting result is the design guideline for EVE/design agency/manufacture, NOT representing the exact product final specification. More technical details will be discussed in the next phase – Industrial/mechanical/electronic circuit design
  3. This post contains a lot of polls, read ALL questions first, think about them, give your choice later, as long as it’s before the deadline Jan 03, 2018.

About Thunderbolt 3

1. How many USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 technology Donald Dock should have?
One TB3 port to connect with your laptop/notebook/tablet, additional TB3 port(s) can be used for e.g. display, data transfer, daisy chain of other TB3 devices like eGPU.

0 voters

2. How many USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 technology should have power delivery?
Mainly used to charge your laptop/notebook/tablet

• More than 1

0 voters

3. What should be the maximum output power for USB PowerDelivery of TB3 USB-C port ?
Basically it is the power needed by your laptop/notebook/tablet
Bigger power means bigger charger brick

• 100w
  • 60w
  • 45w

0 voters

About normal USB-A/USB-C ports

4. How many USB-A (USB 2.0/3.0/3.1) ports Donald Dock should have?

• More than 5

0 voters

5. Besides Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port(s), how many normal USB-C (USB 2.0/3.0/3.1) ports Donald Dock should have?

• More than 2

0 voters

6. Should some USB-A/USB-C ports just use USB 2.0?

• Yes
  • No, all these ports need to use USB 3.0/3.1

0 voters

7. How many normal USB-A/USB-C ports should have power delivery?
Mainly used to charge your phone/other devices

• More than 2

0 voters

About ports for display

8. What port for display Donald Dock should have (select 1-2 options)?

• DisplayPort
  • HDMI
  • USB-C (Thunderbolt 3)
  • Other (please specify in the reply)

0 voters

9. How to cover those uncommon ports, e.g. DVI, VGA?

• Forget about them
  • Include adapters in the sales box (e.g. if Donald Dock only has HDMI port, we include male HDMI to female VGA/DVI adapters in the sales box)
  • Include cables in the sales box (e.g. if Donald Dock only has HDMI port, we include male HDMI to male VGA/DVI cable in the sales box)
  • Find a way to add those ports to Donald Dock
  • Other solution (please specify in the reply)

0 voters

About ports for data storage

10. Besides a full size SD card port, should we add MicroSD port to Donald Dock?

• No
  • Yes

0 voters

About ports for audio

11. What port for audio Donald Dock should have?

• 3.5mm audio jack: Audio out/in combined (one port)
  • 3.5mm audio jack: Audio out/in separated (two ports)

0 voters

About charger

12. How to deal with power delivery unit (charger)?

• Integrated (put the charger inside of Donald Dock housing): bigger and heavier case, but no additional charger brick
  • Separate : smaller and lighter case, but a separate charger brick lying on the desk or floor

0 voters

Additional features

13. What is your most wanted additional feature?

• No need for additional features
  • Qi wireless charging
  • Integrated amplifier
  • Integrated storage
  • Integrated speaker
  • Reserved m.2. port for SSD
  • Slot/place for pen
  • Other (please specify in the reply)

0 voters

Why I'm Here... Hello All!
Community Digest 12.01

Poll 10 - micro SD yes - is there a case for full SD as well or is that now superseded where we want a future proof device

I Would add a normal SD Card slot. Most people have sd -> Microsd adapters. I have 5 adapters. For example.

i prefer a separeted charger. If it’s faulty it is easier to replace.

Maybe a 16x pcie slot on top with a cover over it so it’s not as hidious.

:sweat_smile:external 400w PSU!:sweat_smile:

I think it would be best if eve could just offer the cable like an accessories, so only those who need those port would pay for them.

Regular SD is more universal. Every micro comes with an adapter, and the V already has micro.

The V already has a microSD behind the kickstand. What would be the reason for a second one? I think a full-sized SD card slot would be more appropriate.

Adapters probably better

I’d also prefer full-sized SD as microSD is already integrated into the V and will still fit a full-sized SD slot using a ubiquitous adapter…

I would also like to see a full size SD Card Slot. :slight_smile:

Disappointed to see USB-C/Thunderbolt being voted on for use as a Display Port. Clearly many people do not work in office type environments. Why should I pay extra for a USB-C adapter when the DD could have an HDMI and DisplayPort built into it? Most monitors if not all use HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI and some have VGA connection options.

Makes no practical sense.

“Spence you don’t understand, you see USB-C is a universal port that can be used for anything. You simply need an extra adapter, it costs like what $20?”

Sigh.

Additional feature: Ethernet port

An Ethernet port is already in port list.

A full sized SD cart is used by quite a lot top of the line camera’s from some time ago.
They are still very usable, and many professional photographs should love to find a suitable port for their card.
AAAAAnd photo-work on a V screen is a pleasure :heart_eyes:

Pleasantly surprised with the status of the poll so far. Looks like the dock will be chock full of good ports, except I’d have to use a dongle for DisplayPort. This is discouraging, as the dock is described in @Xinjie’s original post as being:

“…a product that provides more ports to the V and other notebooks to work better with peripherals.” and then just below it “Wide range of ports and powerful performance are its essential competence in the market.”

I’m echoing @Spence’s sentiment here regarding DisplayPort. To meet the above product description, I vote that the dock have all 3 options - DP(++) HDMI(at least 2.0) and USB-C/TB3. IMHO this would truly give modern users the most options, all of which being high quality. So no matter which you choose, there are no sacrifices, which 98% docks out there today force you to make, in some way or another. I see this dock as the one chance I have at avoiding sacrifice.

I want one so I can use the dock with other computers. For example, my MBP only has an SD slot and it’s startimg to fail. I also want to be able to import video from several cameras at once and some of them use microSD. The less adapters I need, the better.

That is fair. I did not consider use in other devices. But using a full SD card still seems more appropriate to me. I think this because it more easily allows users to use full SD or micro SD with the micro to full adapter card. I get not wanting to have to carry adapters but almost every micro SD I see comes with that adapter. If the dock only supported micro SD, people would have to buy an additional adapter to read full sized SD cards. To me it seems like a pain point either way you look at it. That’s my two cents on it anyway

Agreed. If there’s only one SD port then it should be a full SD for sure. I think the dock should have both ports tho. There’s enough devices using both cards to warrant it imo.

I want to elaborate a bit on my answers & maybe get a bit of a discussion going :slight_smile:
If you reply, please ping my main/work account @iKirin so I get notified that you replied to me :wink:

2 - 1 for connecting a device, and a second one that can be daisy chained to whatever.
It’s very important to me that DD also works with devices that DON’T have a TB3 port.

I don’t need more than 1 USB-PD charging port in DD for a device. I don’t see a use-case for this right now & also DD would have to be able to differentiate between the 2 connected devices which one is the ‘host’ that now outputs on e.g. HDMI.

Honestly very torn about this one - 60W is cheaper & still works for most devices but 100W works for EVERY device that has USB-PD and is just more universal. Thus slightly torn here, but I voted 100W just because DD should then be compatible with e.g. the MacBook Pro 15".

2-4 - again a tad torn but I think 4 would be better than 2 since again something like the MBP 15" does have no USB-A - also if I have keyboard & mouse the 2 ports would already be used up.

Going for 1 here - 2 seem too much as no device is using one right now and even devices with only 1 USB-C/TB3 port would double their USB-C formfactor ports with 1 USB-C port and 1 extra TB3 port.

After careful consideration - yes. Keyboards/Mice/Charging ports for phones don’t need USB 3.0 speeds in my mind.

Hard one. I personally don’t need more than 1 but I can see the use for 2. @Xinjie can you please clarify what you mean with ‘power delivery’ - do you mean 5V/2A power output or something else? :slight_smile:

Let me be honest: I don’t know what the USB-C option does here. If your monitor does allow for DP via USB-C I’m pretty sure it’ll also have a regular DP-port and if DD would have a TB3 then the TB3 afaik would already allow for output of display anyways (at least if I interpreted TB3 specification correctly)

Honest here again: Those who need them can grab an adapter for sure - but it’s nothing that should be put on DD in my mind.

No. SD port can also be adapter to work as MicroSD port tbh - so I don’t think it’s useful.

Seperated in my mind - if we even have audio on DD because I don’t think it’s useful :slight_smile:

Separate - if something happens to DD then it can be replaced. Also possibly it would be cool to use DD without a power supply on the go if you need it to.

That’s something that should be up to everyone else to decide - I went with nothing else, but I can see all the other things being interesting for people :slight_smile: