[Donald Dock][Step 2.2] [SUMMARY/DISCUSSION] Potential product type

The same argument could be levelled at a flash drive connected to any dock. Depending on the size of the dock, you wouldn’t want to take the whole dock, or unplug the dock to take with you.

Hey @Xinjie, it’s 10 days after the proposed timeline. I’m sure you are full of work with V assembly and delivery. Just write one sentence about the new timeline of Donald Dock to us, please… When could we expect a summary and the next step.

Good thinking, there is already a product (maybe several) like that on the market.

I am not saying that Eve shouldn’t follow this path, very sensible approach and product. See pics.

I noticed this product some time ago, when I was doing my due diligence and checked what’s on the market already.

As you said, it is good to reduce clutter on one’s desk and this kind of product definitely does do that. I am not totally sure, but I think that this product is for a fixed installation.

Maybe the bracket could have a quick release for the dock itself, so you could take it with you easily (without the bracket).

There’s also been a lot of talk about a dock with a GPU or eGPU.

This has been mentioned in another thread:

And here’s the info from the Sonnet website:

Part No.
Sonnet Radeon RX 560 eGFX Breakaway Puck

Sonnet Radeon RX 570 eGFX Breakaway Puck

Warranty 1-year
Form Factor Portable external GPU system
Video Memory 4 GB GDDR5
3 DisplayPort 1.4, 4K@60Hz
1 HDMI 2.0b, 4K@60Hz
External Connectors
One Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
4-pin power DIN
Three DisplayPort
Supported Technologies
AMD Eyefinity™ Technology
AMD FreeSync™ Technology
HDCP 2.2
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
DirectX® 12
Intelligent Fan Control
OpenCL 2.0
OpenGL 4.5
Power Delivery Provides laptop charging up to 45W
Power Adapter
(GPU-RX560-TB3) Universal 160W, 100-240V AC, 50-60 Hz
Power Adapter
(GPU-RX570-TB3) Universal 220W, 100-240V AC, 50-60 Hz
Operating Temperature
0˚C to 35˚C (32˚F to 95˚F)

Dimensions (WxDxH) 6 x 5.12 x 2 in. (15.24 x 13 x 5.1 cm)
Package Weight
(Part No. GPU-RX560-TB3) 4.15 lbs (1.88 kg)
Package Weight
(Part No. GPU-RX570-TB3) 5.25 lbs (2.38 kg)
RoHS Compliant Yes
Package Contents
eGFX Breakaway Box Puck
Power adapter
0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable

Yes, exactly. But other docks don’t cover the tablet ports. So if you’re going to do something that takes time, you can plug that USB drive into one of the tablet’s ports instead. Then you can undock without interruptions.

I definitely agree on this. The V’s ports need to be accessible. I can see starting an install or working on video from an SD card at my desk and then all of a sudden needing to move and keep the work going.

I actually have a hard time with this donald dock discussion. It is so “all over the place” that it’s hard to follow. Just because an idea is talked about over and over doesn’t mean it’s the best idea, it just means there are people who like to talk about it. Or maybe one person keeps pushing it so it seems to have more interest. It can be hard to digest it all. I’m not an arguing/debating type, so if i see an idea i dont like, I just ignore it. (Like I’d never buy a dock that only worked for the V) Afterall we are just brainstorming at this point.

So when it comes time for @Xinjie to whittle down the possible features, I hope this is all taken into consideration.

Edit- i feel like we are discussing too many small details at this point, when we really need to look at the big picture

I think it’s good we got into some of the small details just to gain a little perspective on what route will provide the best roadmap to get what we want. I agree though, there’s a lot of ideas and discussion and it’s getting hectic. We do need to boil it down to a basic form factor/direction pretty soon if we want to make any real progress on this. Are we going modular or not seems to be the decision we need to make first.

Blockquote[quote=“mlivesey, post:268, topic:10258”]
actually have a hard time with this donald dock discussion. It is so “all over the place” that it’s hard to follow.

I’m pretty sure the part of this post that will be considered is everything within the originally stated duration ( 10/23 - 10/30)

Most of the ramblings that I think you’re talking about are after that date, so I think it’ll be fine. And ya, I agree, there’s been a lot of discussion of small details that I think are too fine for the current step, but I do think it’s a good time to start the discussion so others can consider the possibilities that they maybe had not considered before.

I agree that ideas are all over the place but that’s normal for this stage. We haven’t narrowed down to a specific form factor yet. As soon as we do, most ideas will end up on the cutting room floor. hopefully the best will be kept, but its not always feasible.

For example I proposed the modular dock setup but I doubt Eve will go that route especially with the mystery box 2.0. it seems like they’re working on separate dock and eGPU enclosure but that’s yet to be announced so I’m just guessing. I hope they can try to consolidate them into one architecture/form factor.

I agree with the last comments. Summarizing this topic and designing the poll is going to be a real challenge, to say the least.

I think it would be great if we could get to see the poll (or even polls) before it’s published for voting, because this is one of those times where choosing the right questions may be essential for getting meaningful answers.

Sorry about that! At the moment Xinjie (and most of the team, really) are manufacturing and quality checking (and soon shipping!) Vs. It’s thrown a bit of a wrench into the works for Project: Donald Dock. I’m afraid I don’t have an indication of when the next step will commence, but I’ll try to get an update from Xinjie. You know me: I’m all for having timelines up-to-date :slight_smile:

When the team gets back from China, I’ll also sit down with them and get the official status topic for Project: Donald Dock rolling!

I’ve talked to @Xinjie and he’s busy with the production of the V but wanted to continue on donald when he’s back in finland, so I wouldn’t expect anything until end of next week, probably the week after that.
This is quite a bit to read through and summarize after all.

“From our field reporter, live at the scene…”

I have to bring this up again. In my opinion this is the way to go for potential product type: Sonnet Puck eGPU: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Pack-a-puck-The-Sonnet-eGFX-Breakaway-Puck-is-a-portable-eGPU-solution.262770.0.html

• the Design of it is really ugly: Maybe we can make it with larger footprint but not so fat: more portable…

Doesn’t seem user upgradeable.

If I might suggest, a full-sized GPU with an HDPlex PSU (those can go up to 300w). Packaged as tight as possible, and we might end up with a device not much bigger than mini-ITX motherboard boxes.

(I’m sorry for that comparison, it was the only thing at my desk).

If miniturization of eGPU was the goal, wouldn’t externalizing the power supply/brick be acceptable then? Offers more flexibility, and we’re already “OK” with that for laptops and other portable devices. It may simplify heat management too.

I’m still not sold 100% on eGPU as the way to go, but if you did and portability is desired (I’m not convinced that’s the main market for eGPUs) I’d think a smaller one with external brick is better than one with an internal PSU.

The HDPlex is already a very small PSU (but does require a brick). I don’t see why the brick couldn’t be internal as well, since we’re not gonna be shaving much space.

Here’s what it looks like:

The GPU itself produces heat, as does the power supply. Your cooling requirements are easier if they’re separated by some space.

Very good effort! I like it :muscle: :clap: :+1: