*** This post is part of the Donald Dock project development.
*** Please check the master thread for whole project information
Purpose: summarize users’ needs, propose potential product type and discuss, and prepare for voting
Duration: 23.10.2017 – 30.10.2017
Sorry that this post come a bit late than expected.
It took us some time to review all your needs and communicate with potential ODM.
What you are going to read:
- Summary of users’ need in step 2.1
- Product types proposed by Eve team
What we expect from YOU in the discussion:
- Share your opinion about the proposed product types
- Suggest possible improvements/adjustments, or new product type.
What is going to happen afterwards:
- Based on your discussion, Eve team update the potential product types
- Vote to determine the product type(s) for Donald Dock
Summary of the needs
What we did was to read all your replies (before 12.10), record needs to a table, categorize them, and quantify them: if you said I want X, X get 2 points; if you said I may need X, X get 1 point
What environment you are going to use Donald Dock at?
Especially for eGPU
In addition, the following features are mostly commented:
- Dual monitor or even more (22 times)
- Just one plug-in for all peripherals and power supply (13 times)
- Modular/Daisy chain (10 times)
- Future proofing (7 times)
- Notebook can be slid into Donald Dock, or hold by it (5 times)
How Eve understands above data:
- Majority of people would like to use Donald Dock at stationary scenario (home/office), however still more than 20% want to take it on-the-go
- Display, audio, and storage are the main peripherals categories to connect with. Keyboard, mouse, Ethernet are also very popular.
- eGPU has its potential users
- Some users need different types of Donald Dock at different environment
- more understanding can be found in the following proposed product types
Proposed Product types
After digested all the needs you shared, and did some Google research, as well as consulted the manufacture, here are the five product types we think will fulfill your needs
- Product sketches below are just to show a GENERAL idea about the product size. It’s not related to the final industrial design
- Feature list below is also to show the GENERAL idea about potential features of different product types. ‘Possible’ doesn’t mean have it for sure, we have to select; ‘Nope’ mainly means impossible on business & design point of view, technically, some features are still possible.
- We are ONLY discussing product types here. After selecting product type, technical details of the product will be discussed and determined in the future design phase.
*Why it looks so awesome ? Because it is made by Dario!
There already some good discussions in the Development Donald Dock | Community Ideas & discussion, like Revised proposal for modular dock with GPU.
So, welcome to summaries your ideas here, share your opinion about the proposed product types, and suggest possible improvements/adjustments, or new product type.