[Donald Dock][Step 2.1][DISCUSSION] What you need and how you will use it

official
development
survey
project_donald_dock

*** This post is part of the Donald Dock project development.
*** Please check the master thread for whole project information

Purpose: understand users and their needs
Duration: 06.10.2017 – 12.10.2017

Every product comes to the market for one single reason: fit people’s need(s).

Therefore, the first and the most important thing is to understand the users and their needs, to identify the user scenarios for the product.
Only after we have digested all this information, we can start selecting correct product features – not less, not more, exactly fit users’ need. This is why community development brings wonderful products. :heart_eyes:

So, let’s talk about you and your needs.

Rules:

1. Use the template to reply (see below)
  2. All replies/comments content should fit the purpose of this post. Off-topics will be deleted.
  3. If you want to discuss something else, go to other categories, e.g, Donald Dock | Community Ideas & discussion

Template:

I am _who you are_.
I am using / will use_laptop/notebook/tablet model (with specification link)_.
I want to use Donald Dock at _places and environment_,
to
_how/what you want to do with Donald Dock_

Here is my example:
I am a product manager working in a super cool start-up.
I am using Eve V, specs link.
I want to use Donald Dock at home, office, and when traveling,

to

• connect a monitor with HDMI port at home
  • connect a pair of speakers with 3.5mm audio jack at home
  • connect an external hard drive with USB-A port (support USB 3.0) at home
  • connect a pair of wireless keyboard/mouse with a USB-A port nano receiver at home
  • connect a full size SD card to transfer photo between PC and camera at home and when traveling
  • connect projectors (with HDMI or VGA port) at office and partner’s meeting room
  • transfer files (from few MB to few GB) quickly between my V and my colleagues’ computers

To eGPU or not to eGPU?

I am a network planner and hobbyist dabbling in design and an early adopter of tech.
I am using surface pro 3 - specs, will be using the eve v i7 -
specs
I want to use Donald Dock at home, work and on the go
to:

• Connect to double monitor setup at work and home through HDMI, Display port and vga
  • Connect to external Speakers (3.5 minijack or dual RCA connector)
  • Connect devices that dont have to hang off the side of the eve.
  • Connect sd card and micro sd in an easily accessible way
  • Supply power, Ethernet and replace all other cables through a single USB-C connection to the Eve
  • Add a modular EGPU unit

probably not very realistic but that’d be ideal :slight_smile:

I am a (old - 60) software engineer working in another super cool start-up (in the AI space).

I am using

• work desktop: 32GB, 2TB, 1 x 27" display, 2 x 24" displays
  • home desktop: 32GB, 4TB, 1 x 24" display, 1 x 22" display
  • soon also Eve V, i7, 1TB.

I want to use Donald Dock at mostly at home, probably in the office, and probably not when traveling (I would consider getting a pair),

to

• connect a monitor with DisplayPort/HDMI port at home/work or even with Thunderbird when I get suitable monitors
  • connect a pair of speakers with 3.5mm audio jack at home (probably)
  • connect an external hard drive with USB-A port (support USB 3.0) at home (probably)
  • connect a full size SD card to transfer photo between PC and camera at home
  • transfer files (from few MB to few GB) quickly between my V and other computers at home/work
  • connect to fast Ethernet (wired) at home/work

I am an engineering student.
I will use the Eve V when it’s available for regular purchase.
I want to use Donald Dock at my desk in my apartment,
to

• connect 2 monitors
  • connect my peripherals (Mouse, Keyboard, Headset)
  • connect my hard drive
  • charge my V
  • maybe connect LAN
  • Do all the above with one Port/Plug/Dock

Edit:

@Konstantinos mentioned having a great AMP in V, which is an awesome Idea! Also some quality speakers would be nice.

The idea with Donald/Daisy Dock is great too, I would use a small daisy dock mainly for projector-cable-compability issues in University.

I am Christoph, tech enthusiasts. Part time system administrator and work as civil engineer (I haven’t studied. Staatlich geprüfter Techniker. A different way to be a kind of bachelor without university, a German thing)
I will use the Eve i5 when the web shop opens for every one.
I want to use Donald Dock at home (private) but think about the professional use at work. As I mentioned here What kind of user is this for and what do they need?

I want to connect periphery as fast and easy as possible. Traveling around. And at home one cable and everything is connected.

• monitor
  • mouse
  • keyboard
  • Lan (office use)
  • power connector to charge the battery

Perhaps for professional use a small egpu for AutoCAD. Small drawings.

Edit: the egpu should be over tb3 passthrough. The Donald dock should be like the ms Dock for the surface book. But better. With usb c/tb 3 So it can be Used with every tablet that has usb C tb3. But optimized for the v.

What kind of user is this for and what do they need?
[Donald Dock][Step 2.2] [SUMMARY/DISCUSSION] Potential product type

I am a (37 years old) soundengineer, producer and musician.

I am using

• work laptop: hp elitebook 8560wLY528EA with dock, i7 2670QM, 8GB, 512GB, 1x 55" display hdmi, 1x 24" display vga, ext soundcard
  • spare laptop : asus t100, z3740, 2GB, 64+500GB, 1x 42" display hdmi, sound via hdmi
  • soon EVE i7 1tb should replace them both

I will use Donald Dock at home, in the studio, at live gigs,
to

• connect 2 monitors (2x hdmi, or 1x hdmi + 1x vga)
  • connect audio equipment with LAN/rj45
  • connect internet with rj45 (at home)
  • connect audio interface with usb2.0
  • connect external hd with usb3.0

I am an Architectural Assistant, industrial design hobbiest and sometimes gamer.

I am currently using a Sp3 at home and a company desktop at work. I would like to use a V with egpu-pc but cant afford either at the moment :smiley: .

I want to use Donald Dock at home for

• 3d architecturual modelling
  • industrial design modelling
  • playing games.
    These all require an egpu.
  • I also want to be able to archive all my work/videos/games in some sort of hard drive enclosure (I currently use a full 1tb portable HDD).
  • I would ideally connect the V to two external monitors and a set of speakers.
  • I would also like the be able to watch free to air TV via a tuner but this isn’t essential.

I am KK, Eve’s guy. I am most of the time on the move and don’t need a stationary dock. I don’t really need a portable one either as my current device has plenty of ports. Before I entered this thread I thought I wouldn’t need a dock. But Message from @Lennaert_Willemsen made me realized what kind of dock I would love to have.

I am using

I will use Donald Dock when I am on the move and stationary to:

• Charge my V and smartphone (because Donald is both a power bank and a charger)
  • Play music with Donald Docks speakers when Donald is hooked to my V (Bluetooth or through Type-C)
  • Connect my Headphones to Donald. Donald would have a great amp.
  • connect to Mouse, Keyboard and a Monitor.

EDIT: I would like my dock to have Cortana support with all the Alexa hype, etc so that I could experiment with new voice functions that are rolled out.

P.S. I would like to have a good quality speaker in the Donald Duck because oftentimes when I am working on my own in the office, home, etc o really like to have music coming from speakers vs. headphones as it’s is less intrusive then. V speakers are good but I would need a step up in terms of sound. More like portable Bose speakers. So a rich, full, deep sound which is not possible for the V as there is simply not enough space in the housing.

I am a student/financial analyst.
I am using / will use Eve V i7.
I want to use Donald Dock at Work and Home/ on the go (Trains and Planes), to Increase work efficiency, decrease clutter.
One thought I had: could we kind of add a ‘USB stick’ into the dock, so that if it is more like one that can be taken on the go, and used in a business perspective, there is always a bit of storage that we can also use, for some quick files and so.

Hey guys,

I am dibadibadu, a stone conservation and historic building preservation consultant from black forest, Germany.
I am using a SP3 i5 256GB with a 34’ curved HP monitor as my only device for work.
I want to use Donald Dock at my work desk in my office

to

• connect all the needed and maybe upcoming peripherals to the V
  • have some VR/AR WIN 10 working experience if Donals Dock has a eGPU
  • complete the missing ports of the V
  • have one or two SD card slots to store some data
  • give some money to a company that helps me to improve my english skills and spent me some beer and a rumpsteak at the meetup in Ulm

I am Tirigon, student of Computer Science, German Language und soon becoming a teacher (hopefully).
I am using an aging MBA for all my mobile work, mainly running on Linux as macOS gets slower and slower.
I might want to use DD

• on the go for connecting to Beamers (mostly VGA, some HDMI), maybe an eGPU and other devices (USB3)
  • at home in the far future when building my own desktop PC, so it should be able to connect 2+ monitors, LAN, speaker system etc.

PS:

Have you guys ever tried resonance speakers like from Damson Audio? (Damson Cisor)
Idea is to use the surface the speaker is placed upon for ‘making the sound’, so you can save valuable space in the speaker itself. Might be good for DD as (a) the space is limited and (b) DD mostly sits on desks which give pretty great sound experience.

I am Peter, computer science student, software engineer, coder and community manager.

Right now I’m using my Dell Vostro 3560 for most of the stuff on the go.

I want to use Donald Dock at home and in my university/when presenting

I want to:

• Connect my 2 monitors (HDMI/VGA)
  • Have my keyboard & mouse plug in
  • Connect with Ethernet
  • recharge my V/Phone/Switch on the go (with USB-C - just a small power storage would suffice)

I am a research assistant and lecturer at a German university.
I plan on using the Eve V (Thunderbolt 3), with Fedora as my OS of choice.
My official work laptop is a Macbook Air (Thunderbolt 2).
I want to use Donald Dock at the office to connect either of the two (not at the same time) to…

• a power supply (USB-A for the V, and a European power socket for the Macbook’s power brick),
  • a monitor via HDMI,
  • both a wired keyboard and mouse via USB-A,
  • either a speaker via a 3.5mm audio jack and USB-A power supply, or the Dock’s integrated speaker,
  • a full-size SD card to transfer photos from a camera,
  • wired ethernet in case the office WiFi fails.

I am a consultant.
I will be using the Eve V i7/512/16 when it arrives
I will need a small portable dock with HDMI, VGA, and RJ45 when I’m travelling but there are plenty of them about (like the Dell) that would be fine.
However, when I’m at my office location, I’m thinking of using the screen of the V like a notepad.
So, I would want Donald (who doesn’t need to be portable for my purposes) to provide:

• Ability to charge the V so only one connection to V is required.
  • Connect to 2 simultaneous (ideally 4K) displays using HDMI/DP/mDP
  • Connect a mouse/keyboard dongle an external Hard-Drive using USB-A (3.0 for hard drive) ports
  • Full-size SD card reader for transferring media from the camera
  • 1 Gbit RJ-45 to connect to office network

Possibly also: a spare USB C (3.1) port as that’s becoming more common (to charge phone etc.)
An eGPU would be a nice-to-have

Crucially it should be hot-pluggable with everything working without needing a reboot.

I am working in local politics, researching and presenting stuff, making notes with my tablet during endless meetings, playing around with 3D design, woodworking and lite gaming.
I will be using Eve V soon™.
I want to use Donald Dock at home and office (having two) permanently connected
to

• connect one or two monitors with HDMI or DP
  • connect to LAN (GBit) to access home and office servers
  • connect a full size SD card
  • connect wired keyboard and mouse
  • connect other devices through USB-A and/or USB-C
  • charge the battery while working with it
  • connect and disconnect tablet from device with just one cable without any hassle and without configuring anything after the first time

I want to use Daisy Dock on the go to

• connect to projectors (HDMI and VGA), having enough output power to use cables longer than 5m
  • connect to 3.5mm audio to speakers
  • charge the battery of my V when on the move
  • connect a full size SD card
  • connect USB thumb drives via USB-A and USB-C
  • connect a cordless presenter (USB-A)
  • not have a conglomerate of many individual dongles, making it easier to set up things for presentations up front and connect the V just in time

I’m student in biology.
I will be using my V I5 256 gb soon.
I want to use Donald Dock at home or office
to connect one or two monitors with HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2
connect to LAN (GBit) to access home and office servers
Have 2 usb 3 type A
2 two usb c : one to charge my V and another to charge my phone.
A full-size card sd to transfer anything that I want

Like @s.auler said, I want to use Daisy Dock on the go to
connect to projectors (HDMI and VGA),
having enough output power to use cables longer than 5m
connect to 3.5mm audio to speakers
charge the battery of my V when on the move
connect a full size SD card
connect USB thumb drives via USB-A and USB-C

I am a vice president of marketing and chief marketing technologist for a marketing consulting firm
I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 i5/8GB with surface dock
I want to use Donald Dock at my home office and in a regular office environment
to connect

by priority

• 3 screens via DisplayPort for now (2 x dock, 1 x surface) 3 x 24", intend to upgrade to thunderbolt the next time
  • power supply for charging
  • Gb ethernet (a 5 port hub would be cool, that way I could get one more ugly box and power transformer off my desk)
  • Lots of USB - HD video conferencing camera, phone charging, the occasional usb stick/external drive, mouse + kb etc.
  • sound jack

FYI the main shortcoming of the Surface Dock is bandwidth. I believe the surface connector is a proprietary bastardization of a USB 3.1 gen 1. It’s too is easy to saturate the “surface” bus by having multiple screens, ethernet and a video conferencing camera. Too often, I get OS messages about not enough bandwidth for the dock.

I am a community manager over on eve.community (you may have heard about it), student (very spesific, I know) and a hobbyist fantasy writer.

I am currently using a V prototype on the go and a Samsung laptop plugged into a monitor, kb and mouse when in the office.

I want to use Donald Dock at my desk in my office.

to (in order of importance)

• Connect an eGPU when I want to play the occasional game.

• Have my Corsair K70 and Logitech G600 (kb and mouse) connected for when I am working (my mouse greatly improves my efficiency compared to being only limited to a kb+touchpad).

• Have an external storage unit (probably a flash drive) or two to take backups to when I am working on large projects such as during NaNoWriMo or when I want to move stuff quickly should the need arise.

• Charge my V while connected.

• Essentially replace my current office setup with Donald Dock that I can plug my V into. (The first point is the only one integral to this for me, as the others can be achieved with the equipment I already have, but I wouldn’t mind being able to remove that as well.)

I am a senior hydrogeologist and environmental geologist in oil&gas industry…
I am using Multiple computers - work workstation, MS Surface Book i7 and plan to use EVE V (HEB) for field activities.
I want to use Donald Dock at home, office, and when traveling,

to
connect a monitor with DP or HDMI port at home
connect eGPU for gaming and CAD/GIS modelling
connect a pair of speakers with 3.5mm audio jack at home
connect an external hard drives and memory sticks with USB-A/C port at home and at work
connect a full size SD card to transfer photo between PC and camera at home and when traveling
connect projectors (with HDMI or VGA port) at office and client’s meeting room
transfer files (from few MB to few GB) quickly between my V and my colleagues’ and my other computers
I would like if there will be option for FireWire 800 port for my old camera
charge my V when connected
connect to LAN in office and clients’ offices

I am a management consultant and coach in my own business and part type business school academic
I am using (for next month ) Dell XPS14 i7 8gb then V i7 16/512
I want to use Donald Dock at home to connect peripherals with one cable

to

connect a monitor with HDMI port at home
flexibility to also have mini display port
connect a pair of speakers with 3.5mm audio jack at home
connect a MS wireless keyboard via usb 2
connect a wireless Logitech mouse via usb 2
connect a full size SD card to transfer photo between PC and camera at home 

connect 1 local external back up drive by - currently usb A
connect webcam via usb A
connect ethernet link