Discussion: is LTE an important feature or not?

I think most would be willing to pay more than 30$ for LTE. It’s just not as easy as simply adding the module. The housing is blocking the connection.

Plus you have to pay for certificates.
I remember someone wrote that eve might have to partner with some mobile network supplier in order to make it payable.
LTE certificates seem to be really expensive.

I understand that it would need to be redesigned and certified but I’m saying for future versions of it if they price is increased by a lot more then it’s probably not worth the hassle.

Another thing to keep in mind is the North American market. While it may be cheap to have an LTE card in your laptop in other parts of the world, here it sets you back a bunch - I don’t know many people who have a separate card - we all tether. Unless your company pays for it.

I would go for LTE option and pay extra 10 Eur for SIM. I use laptop+phone(hotspot) a lot, so 10 Eur to not having to make hotspots, worth it

10€ every month is 120€ a year. Instead of moving your fingers 5sec at your phone to connect Wi-Fi? Poor world…

I think this was more of a 10 Euro for an extra SIM card that shares your data with your mobile contract.
I have 2 extra SIM cards that will simply use my mobile data flying around the house because I got them for free :stuck_out_tongue:

You know how they say - first world problems… :slight_smile:

Here in France, residents have several carriers offering generous data allowance and tethering.
Considering those big amounts of data and low plan rates, I usually tether my phone to get Internet on my laptop, and never considered LTE as an important feature on it.

Some examples of prices:
Bouygues Telecom is regularly offering its 50GB in 4G (best domestic network) plan, including 10GB roaming 4G in EEA/CH, for €9/month (additional consumption is throttled in France, invoiced when abroad).
SFR offers 15GB in 4G usable in FR/EU/USA/CAN for €15/month commitment-free (additional consumption is blocked).
Free Mobile offers 100GB in 4G (worst domestic network though) + 25GB roaming 3G in EEA/USA/CAN/IS/ZA/AU/NZ for €20/month commitment-free (additional consumption is throttled in France, invoiced when abroad). If you also have Free as your ISP, the mobile plan gets unlimited domestic data and costs only €16/month.
• There are often flash sales on the above plans: they are sold €2/month commitment-free (but in those cases with an additional €10 fee for the SIM-card).
• A second SIM sharing only your data allowance (no call/text) is usually available as an option for €2~€10/month. But why would you pay more if you can tether and spare?

Last time in went to Québec province, my “all-inclusive” roaming (phone/texts/data from/to CAN) was much cheaper than my local friends’ as I was already paying only €2/month… So much jelly.

We know it. BTW do you know that Quebec and Saskatchewan have the best (cheaper than other provinces) cell phone prices?

As alternative I would consider to search for
Netgear aircard. With that you have your Hotspot always with you and could get a card with data volume only that are (at least here) mostly cheaper than a full Handy card and you don’t bother your Handy data limit.

Yes, I want LTE.

Having LTE is good for me. It just makes things so much simpler whether I use it or not.
It means I always have the choice and the cost is minimal.

Disclaimer: I consider “LTE” in this discussion (and others as well) more as a general term to indicate the need of a SIM slot enabling for high-speed internet connectivity on the V.

I think LTE is a very important feature in a high-end device like the V meant to be used in mobility.

The use-case scenario that most easily comes to my mind is the need to travel abroad and still have an internet connection fast enough to run Remote Desktop / VNC sessions to control remote workstations, as well as sustain video conferences or simply demo a web apps at a reasonable speed.

When you travel abroad, you of course take your phone with you. When you get on the place, then, you try to rely on WiFi when possible to connect to the Internet but, unfortunately, sometimes this is not enough. In such case you can’t rely on your phone as being in roaming it won’t have internet connectivity either. What you do, then is buy a SIM from a local provider with a good data plan for a reasonable fee.
Once your trip is over, if you don’t plan to go back, you’ll probably just dispose of the SIM and since it’s not attached to your credit card or anything similar, you can do it without giving it a second thought.

The lack of the feature can of course be compensated through the use of a mobile hotspot… but it’s one more device to carry around.

So:

• to me personally, it’s not a deal-breaker feature, as I don’t have this particular need
  • I perceive the feature as very important for a device of this price-class. Just to say, I have a 10’’ Windows tablet, paid around €250, that has the feature. If that tablet does, then the V definitely should

I had this with my old contact. But with my new one I would pay 5€ per extra SIM card per month.
Different countries - different situations.

1 and 3 drain the phone’s battery really fast, 2 a bit slower, but still. Connecting straight from V would mean instand connection and almost unnoticeable battery tap, because the amount of energy that an LTE connection uses is tiny compared to V’s power consumption and huge compared to that of a phone.

That is very inconvenient. V is a tablet, it’s designed to be used in hands, on a lap, on a desk - everywhere. If you stick in a wire leading to your phone, the only comfortable way to use it would be on a desk. Otherwise it would get in the way too much.

That “someone” can feel free to buy the non-LTE version. But “someone else” might prefer to get an internet-only SIM card for 2€/month.

Why? Leave the phone alone. I don’t want to have a cable sticking out all the time, and some extra device (phone) that prevents me from using my tablet comfortably. I’ve had enough pain booting my Acer tablet from external HDD because the SSD was too small.

Speak for yourself please :smile:

Calling functionality is not implemented in V and likely will never be. We’re talking about internet only. You can still receive calls on your phone. By the way, there are only a few operators worldwide that carry calls over LTE. Calls are usually carried over 2G, because that’s enough for hearing clear voice and offloads most traffic onto old infrastructure that would otherwise be useless.

The price difference would only affect the LTE model. Other models’ prices wouldn’t change. At least that’s what’s left in my memory from someone from Eve talking about it.

You are totally right about all the cables and other stuff, any other actions required for internet use, just annoy the user… I dont like to take out an extra device (phone) and start tapping into settings while I’m holding my tablet in other hand, instead of just open-and-use.
Luckily - in our country most of the places has good enough wi-fi, but still, I would easily pay extra for LTE support

The other option is something like this. Just also keep it in your bag with your tablet. The main downside is you need to charge it from time to time:

You named only one of multiple disadvantages.

Charging (no matter how infrequently it is needed) is a pain, particularly as it usually is empty when I need it. The other (and maybe bigger) disadvantage is that I need again an extra device. You said it can remain in the bag, it might not be heavy, but I still have to carry it around with me. And to avoid the empty battery I also have to carry an extra charger. Also it does not service all networks (e.g. not usable in the US).

I’d rather use the phone before buying this, but LATE in the V would be beneficial due to reasons mentioned above by different users.

I once wanted to buy one, but I came to a few conclusions:

• They’re very hard to get. I found some online, but they’re either carrier-locked or can’t be shipped internationally. You’re lucky if you live in a country where you can buy one unlocked.
  • You still have to take it out of your bag to turn it on/off, which is a minor inconvenience.
  • The battery life is very short, maybe 3 hours or so. And as we know, the real battery life is usually significantly shorter than what it says on the box. These are probably tested in ideal network conditions, but in the real life it will have to constantly reconnect to different towers.
  • They’re expensive. For such a short battery life and still being nearly as inconvenient as my phone, they’re really expensive and not worth buying. An LTE model of Eve V might as well be $100 more expensive than regular model, but it won’t have any of these inconveniences.

$100 is “Apple” diferential price for WiFi vs LTE+GPS models … so real price should be $25-$50 …