Disconnecting during inactivity

So I finally got my spectrum, and when it works, it’s great!

But I’m having some random issues which I’m curious if others have encountered.

1. Sometimes when turning on or coming back on after being asleep, the image is vertically sheared/shifted (images below). Sometimes takes multiple times of turning off/back on to fix, with a different form of this shearing/shifting each time. Very rarely there’s a temporal shear, where it looks normal if nothing is in motion, but when things are moving, it’s clear that a portion lags behind the rest.

2. When the monitor turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity (windows power setting), it actually disconnects from the computer, rather than just going to sleep, which means all my windows move to other monitors and 3d programs crash due to the monitor connecting/resolution changing.

3. It takes a long time to turn on, both when initially turning it on, and when resuming from sleep.

4. When turning on HDR in games, the screen goes black and white (complete greyscale, no color at all). Sometimes if I save the HDR setting and exit the game and re-launch then it’ll apply and seem to work, sometimes not.

5. The back of the monitor and the power block both get quite hot to the touch (also the screen it’s self). Much hotter than any of my other monitors. This is concerning both for the longevity of the product and for power draw (and heating up the room)

I’m on firmware 102R875.

I’m hoping most of these can be solved with future firmware updates. The heat issue is the only one I’m really concerned with not being fixable via firmware

Temporal Shearing: Eve Spectrum panel issue - YouTube

4 Likes

This is a specification for DisplayPort connections in Windows.
This is a problem that many displays, not just the EVE Spectrum, have.
There are some displays (some EIZO products) that address this issue.
Didn’t the Spectrum address this DisplayPort plug-and-play issue?

In the meantime, if you connect it via HDMI, you should not have this problem.
Also, you can find many temporary solutions by searching, so please try them.

1 Like

I am connected via HDMI 2.1. I tried it both with HDMI and Displayport with the same result on both.

I’ve had several other monitors (some displayport and some HDMI), and none of them have had this “disconnect during sleep” issue.

2 Likes

I’m sorry it appears to be a different problem…
It is possible that there is something wrong with the display.

1. I tested it, but it did not reproduce in my environment.
  2. In my environment, the monitor was never disconnected by Windows auto-sleep.
  3. Compared to other displays, the Spectrum is certainly slower when it comes back from sleep or after switching inputs. I hope this can be improved.
  4. I don’t have any Windows games that support HDR, so I can’t test it; PlayStation 5 HDR games display fine.
  5. The Spectrum is definitely hotter than other displays. It can be mitigated by lowering the brightness.
1 Like

I hope not, I’d rather not have to RMA it! And it does work right most of the time. The “shifting” issue shows up when it’s first turned on, or resumes from sleep. It doesn’t change it’s self, but turning off/on again will change or fix it, so after a few power cycles it’ll work normally until the next time it’s power cycled again.

1 Like

I have the same problems as your first two points. You can submit a ticket to support so they can track it.

4 Likes

I did submit a support ticket, good to hear from others with similar issues though!

3 Likes

I have the same issues (3 and 5) as well.
I think the heat issue is not a big problem which actually means the built in heat sink works well, and only get hot when HDR is on.
While the most thing I concerned is that my Spectrum can’t recognize the signal or it takes a very long time to get the signal from my ps4 and Xbox series s every time. I hope the next firmware could solve this

1 Like

1 is concerning. Definitely see what support has to say. 2, 3, 4 I think can be fixed over time with updates. 5 is just how it’s going to be.

Yeah, I’ve only heard of one other person who has seen the 1st issue besides me, so it makes me worried about my particular monitor. Hopefully I hear back from support soon.

I just saw a new issue, which is similar to #1. After turning on, it all looked fine, but when I started doing things with motion, it was clear that a portion of the panel was “delayed”. About 1/3rd of the left side of the monitor was updating a split second slower than the rest of the monitor, so there was this strange temporal shear.

Here’s a video of it happening:

2 Likes

Hey @Advo,
If you haven’t already, I recommend you contact, our support team with your issues, and they will be able to diagnose/provide assistance troubleshooting your issue.

I contacted them a week ago. So far all they’ve said is to update my firmware (which I already did prior to even contacting them). Seems to be about 4 days between replies though…

1 Like

I’m having the same issue as number 2, when using the DisplayPort. I’ve noticed this happens also when I delibrately turn off the monitor (pressing the power button), it’s quite strange.

Haven’t tried it with HDMI 2.1 yet though, as I don’t have a HDMI 2.1 cable laying around. But need to try that first.

Im having all the issues of the OP - im running 2x spectrum 4k monitors via hdmi to my 3090 one of which is also via hdmi to my Ps5. All are HDMI2.1 cert cables. When i am using one screen for PC and other for PS5 and wish to switch back to dual PC screens every time it will not pick up a signal from the PC HDMI even though it is already running on the other screen… I have to disconnect the power cable and reconnect for it to register - its responsiveness in picking up signals is also incredibly slow and when it is in between changing inputs/signals the OSD is unusable which stops me from manually showing the screen what input to use…

I often have the same issues on initial start up of PC the screens remain black and i have to power cycle them to make it work. Just now even that didnt work and i had to blindly log in to my PC - once it opened to the desktop the screens came to life.

1 Like

I am having many of these issues as well. Contacted support over three days ago when my user experience post was denied and so far have only received the “we’re really busy” canned response.

I should mention that this shearing isnt a permanent condition for me either. I can cycle the power on the monitors and spend 10-15 min messing around in display settings until all three spectrums are displaying simultaneously again and its fine. I am worried though that one day I will hit this issue and it will become permanent. Also worth mentioning, the two end monitors are running HDMI 2.1 and the middle one is using DP1.4–all with ultra high speed rated cables connected to a single RTX3090. This and other in-game issues were happening to me when I was trying to run the displays at 144hz, when I dropped them down to 120hz, things got a lot more stable.

1 Like

If things get more stable at 120Hz, it sounds like it might be more of a GPU issue than a Spectrum issue.

It might be worth doing some experimentation to check this. What happens if you only run 2 monitors @ 144Hz? What if you run all 3 @ 60Hz? Can you do 144Hz for 2 of them and 60Hz for the third?

If things get more and more stable as you try to push fewer total pixels per second, it seems likely that the GPU is the cause of the issues.

I’m more inclined to believe it is a Spectrum issue considering all the other folks that are having similar issues with a single monitor.

2 Likes

I find it hard to believe that a 3090 would struggle to display 4k@144hz on the desktop. Sure, it’ll be pushed depending on the game, but desktop isn’t an issue. And besides - after a few times of turning it on/off or changing resolution to something else and back, it works fine. This is an issue with the spectrum it’s self…

I may swap to 120hz for a while if that actually helps reduce it, but I don’t consider this to be an actual fix. I’m hoping Eve can get a firmware fix out for these issues soon.

In other news - I got another reply from support finally. Unfortunately, it was a canned “try turning it off and back on” and then asking for information I’d already provided. Clearly they didn’t even read the messages.

Two weeks since I contacted support, and only 2 responses from them, both of which were canned and unhelpful. Not impressed.

I was thinking more about 3x Spectrums running 4K@144Hz, which is what keno2001 is using. A 3090 should run a single Spectrum without issues.

With regards to the vertical screen tearing issue, does that occur on DP or just when using HDMI? I ask because in that photo of keno’s screens, the one in the middle (running DP) doesn’t have treating but the ones on the outside (running HDMI) do.

My theory is that there’s something about the custom timing that Eve are using for 144Hz that’s causing HDMI issues. It might impact some 30x0 cards more than others.

Have you checked your graphics card manufacturer’s site to see if they’ve got a VBIOS update for your card? I know that HDMI 2.1 has been played with compatibility issues, so it’s possible that there’s an update that could improve things.

Advo may decide to do something else based on his particular GPU, but I am running a Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC (slightly undervolted) and the only video bios update they have is to add resizable BAR support. If the display artifacts come back, I may consider a bios update on the GPU, but for now, I’d like to wait and see what Eve comes up with in their next firmware update.

I agree. I ran across this fact in another thread, and I filed that tidbit away for later discussion. I could believe that a custom (non-standard) timing could produce behavior like this due to a misaligned porch/sync that extends into the visible area of the panel. I am curious to know what the reason was for using a non-standard timing in the first place–I’m sure Eve has a good reason for doing it, but it’d be nice to know what that reason is? I just hope the root cause isn’t a signal integrity problem because that would most likely be unfixable without a recall.