Desktop computer with pen support

I am waiting for someone to come out with a desktop computer that has touchscreen AND pen support. Imaging a desktop computer with a hinge mechanism on it that allows it to be tilted at any angle and lowered to a comfortable height for drawing right on the screen with a pen. Adobe apps are getting better at touch input and I wonder how it would transform the experience to make everything accessible by touch rather than the old antiquated mouse? I really think that touch is the future. If that came out I’d give up my iMac in a heartbeat and I"ve owned nothing but mac since the 90’s.

Aren’t there plenty of touch enabled AiOs that would full-fill these demands?

None that support digital pens…
But the Wacom tablets with LCD are good companions for that. They’re just SOOO expensive…

What is an AIO? My technical knowledge is limited.

All-in-One. It’s a desktop inside a screen, to best describe it.

Something like this:

They usually have a touchscreen, but I’m not sure if there is any that supports pen…

Yes, like that but with the ability to chance the screen angle to make pen input easier. Imagine drawing with a pen on a large beautiful monitor. Digital artists would go crazy for it.

You have heard of Wacom? Their Cintiq line is pretty much what you describe. And there are other options out there as well, but I don’t have time to search for them.

Isn’t the Wacom device just a display? It’s not a full computer with processor, storage and OS is it?

Here’s a display on Amazon that has pen support. Imagine this as an all in one.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PT201Q-19-5-Inch-Digitizer-Monitor/dp/B00P2PL4NU

Seems not. I must have mixed it up with something else. But I am certain I have seen AiOs with pen support somewhere.

Actually, their top of the line tablets run Windows. The specs are hidden somewhere, but they appear to have dedicated Quadro graphics and quad core processors… Not exactly portable. Not even sure if they have a battery. But their price is just insane. And I don’t think they’re that large… All in ones are usually as big as a medium TV (or at least as a small TV, but still much bigger than a normal PC monitor), and the Wacoms are more like regular tablets. Except that they’re hardly portable

The 16 inch model is over 2 grand. Does the pen support drive the cost up that much? A 21 inch iMac with decent specs can be had for a grand. Put a good hinge on it and add touch screen and pen support and you have something that nobody else is offering. How expensive would it be to have touch and pen support in a 21 inch all in one?

Here- 21 inches and 699.00. Could you get the rest of the parts you need to make it a full computer for 300.00? A 21 inch windows computer that looks like this with touch and pen would kill the iMac.

I don’t want to claim that I know, but I have thought it over, and come up with a few reasons why I think they can get away with prices in that range. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

A seeming/ close to monopoly. Looking up graphics tablets I can only find a handful of manufacturers, and of them only Wacom seem to make their own panels. Granted, my research was short, and my sources limited. But When Eve was getting pen tech, the only options were N-trig and Wacom.
It is a niche market. Niche markets allow the ones selling to drive up the prices to at times unreasonable levels. Sometimes they have to to make money off of it.
Brand recognition.Everyone who might be potential buyers (and a bunch of others as well), know Wacom, or come across it during their research. It has a reputation. And that allows them to drive the prices up further.

There are probably more as well, but I can’t remember/ come up with them at the moment.

Interesting. If you can get a decent 21 inch screen all in one from Apple or a PC maker for around 1000 dollars and you add 300 to it I think you have something that nobody else is offering for 1300 bucks. I’d pay that for an all in one with pen support. I don’t think you could add in color calibration as the segment of the market that needs that likely already has the gear to get that done. I’m thinking more of the professional and hobbyists market where color calibration isn’t dead critical. The fact that nobody has made such a device at a consumer friendly price point is a hole in the market that could be filled. Maybe create a new market where none has existed. That’s what Apple has done several times. Give people what they need even if they don’t know yet that they need it.

Well, that $300 was for a 12" screen, but you do have a fair point there. If there is target audience for that, maybe Eve should make one.

On the other hand, I don’t really see the potential of all in ones. They’re not portable at all, so they’re basically the same as desktop computers, but you can’t replace components in them. OK, they are a bit more compact than desktop computers, but I don’t really see a situation where you would really need to save that much space. You can get a compact ATX case and put it under the monitor, or behind the monitor, or under your desk (like I did) - there is always some space somewhere, especially in those dark corners that you can’t reach :slight_smile:

And then the second question - is there a target audience? Isn’t it better to get something like a Pyramid Flipper instead? You can add external graphics to it, if you need more computing power. And you get the bonus of it being portable. IMHO most use cases for the pen require it to be portable. For example, taking notes during a meeting, lectures, etc. - when you’re on your desk, I can’t think of any other use cases than professional (or hobbyist) drawing. But that is a much narrower user base, and AFAIK real professionals still prefer professional color calibration since the equipment they use in Wacom is more precise than the one they can have at home. But we need a real artist to confirm this, as I’m not one :slight_smile:

But you’re wrong about Crapple. They give people an already existing thing just wrapped into a nice package. IPhone? PDA. IPad? Microsoft Tablet PC (made by HP). Most of their products are actually less powerful than the things that existed before them. They sell just because of the tremendous marketing efforts. They did manage to create a big app market for their smartphones, but that was only after they became popular, and they became popular only because of marketing. I’d say it’s unfair that someone (like Microsoft) creates something, then Crapple wraps it in gift paper and steals all the profit. And then when the original inventor comes back with an updated product, they’re blamed for “copying”. Look what happened with Microsoft Surface tablets - they got blamed for copying iPads, which were in fact just copies of the original Tablet PC. And Microsoft actually showed the world that tablets could be used for content creation, not only consumption. Unlike “someone else”, who just convinced “iSheep” that they should buy their stuff by overusing the term “innovation” to the point where I avoid using it as plague because it became so lame and meaningless.

Honestly I don’t care to defend Apple. What they do is not my business and I really don’t care. The use scenario for a pen enabled all in one is the screen real estate for artists and photographers. Retouching photos on a large screen with a pen would be magic. For digital artists the large canvas would make some things possible that can’t happen with a tiny tablet. If this was done right it would draw artists and photographers away from Apple easy.

Problem is that apple do not have the monopoly on digital artists, Wacom has. And Eve is in no position to challenge them, at least not at this time.
Because it is a niche market, it is much harder to get into it. Where “anyone” can go ahead and make a laptop or a phone, it would not be so easy to do a pen enabled AiO.
If Eve wanted to do it they would have to work with Wacom, and while I don’t know, I do have a feeling they would not lightly give up their monopoly.
Or Eve would have to work with N-Trig, whom probably would be far easier to work with, but they are still underdogs in the business, and are not yet able to offer what Wacom can, as far as I understand.