Contributing to Projects

Hello my fellow community!

As I have had such a great experience until now with eve and only have supported them with my money. I thought myself I’d like to contribute to other open source projects, but don’t know where to start or how to find a nice project. Does anyone have an idea how to get started?

I do mostly programm in java, c++ and python

I’m in the same boat, this is really a first for me too. I would also be interested in any tips.

@Patrick_Hentschel @zman888 You mean open source software or hardware projects?

I can think of many projects that would be VERY happy to get some help. If you don’t know where to start, I would recommend you to take the ‘scratch your own itch’ approach: contribute to open source software you use and love. Think of your needs and interests, and find related software you could contribute to. That’s always a great place to start.

What kind of projects would you find more interesting?

Personally I don’t have a high preference there, I love programming so much and working into materia that aslong as I am programming everything is great

The first thing to do is to find a project with which you already use, like or can identify with.
Then you need to identify what is required to do in that project (some signs are “contributors needed” tags or just some documentation).

I only helped in open source once (doing a Portuguese translation for a software), mostly because the projects that fit the above are already in good shape or way out of my league (knowledge wise).

Anyhow, here are a few links with guides for starting:
http://www.firsttimersonly.com/

https://softwareengineeringstackexchange.com/questions/294/how-can-i-find-a-good-open-source-project-to-join/

try coding driver for Linux distro for EVE so when someone installs Linux distro on EVE the audio, camera, wifi -driver work without encountering technical problems.

I think there are a few dots I can’t connect here…

Other? So, what open source projects have you already contributed to? Maybe you can choose similar projects according to your past experience then? Sourceforge usually has some nice suggestions, of course if the project is there…

Well I supported yours with my money, but not programming and that is what I would like to do. Sry for not making that clear!

Yeah but it’s not “open source” project :smile: And it’s not my product, I’m not from Eve :smile:

Next project? Will the focus be on hardware or software? Will it be a new form factor or an extrapolation of that which has already been developed. The next generation of hardware or software that evolves AI, where are we evolving? Following the evolution of Microsoft and the HoloLens, it seems that this is where they see future development. Extrapolating from their latest announcements, it seems that they see this as the replacement, the next evolution, of mobile devices. Is that something that anyone else has thought about? What are the possibilities?