Concept: The world's first crowd-designed 10-inch tablet: the Eve V Air!

On the topic of gaming, maybe tablet gaming will be better with AMD’s Raven Ridge APUs coming later this year? Those APUs, besides being Ryzen-based, will all have Vega-based graphics (Vega being better than current generation Polaris, where Polaris itself is more efficient than what is in current AMD APUs) that will definitely be faster than Intel HD Graphics. Maybe depending on how this all goes down, a 10-inch Raven Ridge-based tablet would be better or, at least, an option for a second model in addition to a standard 10-inch Core M tablet? :smiley:

Atleast we know that this won’t ever happen and it NEVER SHOULD happen in form like this atleast

Liking a post and not posting anything myself means that I agree with it and don’t have anything else to add to the conversation beyond it.
I, for myself, see no need for the device you have described.

Also, please do be considerate and don’t constantly bump your own thread. It makes it seem as if the thread is far more active than it is. It can also often make it seem overwhelming, making it hard for others to feel they can add anything.

Since you’ve called me out, here’s my perspective: There is no need for such a device because any android or iOS tablet will be superior in that size in my opinion. The newest non-pro iPad starts somewhere below $400, which is already a decent price point. The same goes for the Samsung Tablets, or comparable other ones.
Both of these, of course, are not full Desktop OS machines, however I think that at 10" or below, that’s an advantage, because Windows or even MacOS would be annoying to use on a fully touch device, because it’s just not made for that.

I also believe that anyone who owns a device in that category uses it to either stream Videos, browse the internet read emails or do some very light office work. Nothing more. The size is too small to play games on, or do real work like editing photos or large documents, so there is no business application.

A 12" or 13" device like the V, though, has significantly more applications, because its a work laptop size.

Your proposed device simply cannot compete with what is currently on the market enough for a company to even consider spending R&D money on it.

You are right.
I own such a 10" Windows device and I mostly used it as you describe.
Used (past) because for most of this tasks I now use my 8" Android tablet.
I never used the Win-tablet it since I got the A-tablet. For my needs it’s either overpowered or underpowered.

As already mentioned in my post Amazin Eve V 10 tablet it dose not make sense to create another Eve V that is slightly smaller, but has same power…

I think next month Microsoft will show new stuff that could give us completely new possibilities…
By the way I like the Name “Eve V Air” -> But this name is more like a tablet mentioned below:

10" high resolution display
Windows 10 Cloud
Qualcom Sanpdragon 835
64 - 256GB SSD
usf Memory Card Slot3
Pogo-pin and wireless Bluetooth 4.2 keyboard, connects up to 3 devices
V Pen support
USB - C Port
Thickness < 7 mm thick
wight < 400gr.

Then we have battery life and “Air”!

Out of complete fairness, since we are merging threads, I put your post at the very top as the first of two concepts. Maybe @nawthor can give you the permissions or ownership to the topmost post so you can edit it as you please. For now, it is a direct quote of your post here of your concept. Let me know your thoughts if you want to change or add anything to it.

That’s fine with me adding the concept to the top like already done. I don’t need ownership permissions, as my concept is added as one possibility. Thanx.

In my opinion, a V with a reduced size but mostly the same functionality is not a good idea based on the following reasons:

• too many competitors in that segment (particularly also with mobile systems which attracts more user groups for that size than a full-blown OS)

• usability of full Windows (even in tablet mode) is limited on 10"

• a company should not focus (initially) on two very similar products which compete against each other on the market

• realizing the specs requested (due to the small form factor) will increase the costs over competition as there is no huge scale Eve can make use of

That said, I’d rather see a laptop like device (preferably Surface Book style) which can house a dedicated graphics card in the keyboard and work as a tablet separately as a next product from Eve. Or something totally different the market has not “seen” yet :slight_smile:

Found some pricing details of our competitor.

630$ for an M3, 4GB RAM with no mention of storage. But other articles have mentioned that the base model will come with 64GB…
No USB A port puts it out of the competition, and I could go on and on about how the V destroys this for 70$ more…

eMMC storage… Ouch…

Here is the Best Buy product page for the Samsung Galaxy Book. The 10-inch model (linked below) will be $629.99 for the 4GB RAM, 128 GB eMMC (really, no SSD in 2017?) model with preorders opening on April 21st. (Don’t even bother looking at the Galaxy Book in 12 inches. The base model for that starts at $1129.99 and it has just 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Even the two-year old Surface Pro 4 slays it in pricing, and the V, well, instantly incinerates them both into a pile of nothingness. :smiley: )

Per Samsung’s press release this morning, general availability of in-store stock is scheduled for a month later on May 21st. Fortunately, the eMMC storage is very likely eMMC 5.0 or newer, which should soften the blow a bit. eMMC 5.0 is actually faster than most mechanical drives in sequential transfer speeds, and leagues faster in random access times. I know of several people at TabletPCReview who will likely be purchasing this smaller model on account of the physical sizing and weight.

EDIT: All these users are now backing down since Worst Buy just today upped their pricing by $100, from $629.99 to $729.99. The Galaxy Book 10, as one of the only 10-inch Core M tablets, was a mediocre buy before. Now, it is an all-around rotten deal:

According to this link, it’s 630$ for the 64GB eMMC variant. Pathetic.

@AntonyTerence @Hifihedgehog WOW. Just wow. What a ripoff. I realize Samsung is doing some cool stuff with tech but they are way overrated. I’ll buy last year’s 4k tv model from them for a great price, but this kind of stuff is highway robbery that is based on their brand name only.

Consider the following information regarding a new, soon-to-be mass-produced battery technology.

Disregarding the current issues of pricing and availability, if Eve successfully implemented this carbon nanotube battery technology, would you then fully expect them to be able to produce a 10-inch Core M tablet (See Concept B) at a specified 1.4 lbs (680 g) with a 40 Whr battery (or 10 hours of battery life)?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Here is something I just wrote in response to another user regarding the Galaxy Book series at Tablet PC Review:

Interesting. I noticed a striking similarity in pricing between the Galaxy Book 10 and the Surface 3:

At launch, the Galaxy Book 10’s pricing is:
$629.99 64GB
$729.99 128GB

At launch, the Surface 3’s pricing was:
$499 64GB
$599 128GB
+$129.99 Type Cover

Also at launch, the Galaxy Book 12’s pricing is:
$1129.99 i5 128GB

At launch, the Surface Pro 3’s pricing was:
$999 i5 128GB
+$129.99 Type Cover

The issue I have with the Galaxy Book’s pricing is they are making the dangerous assumption that technology has been at a standstill since the times of the Surface 3 in 2015 and the Surface Pro 3 in 2014. This is incorrect. The reason these products were successful in their respective periods was because prior needs were not met and they catered to those needs. Now in 2017, needs have increased and the baseline has been raised above where many features of the Galaxy Book lie. Other companies have opted to meet these increased needs at the same target price points. In spite of this, Samsung is banking on two outcomes. First, every perspective buyer will perform the value-add calculation of the included keyboard and compare the Galaxy Book with the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3. This is far too idealistic: most consumers hardly even keep a budget, let alone are capable of performing the math required. Most consumers also hardly remember products from one year ago, let alone two or three. Generally, consumers look at the product itself independent of its bundled accessories and judge its pricing according to its current competition. The two general schools of thought most consumers follow are either: (1) the product at the lowest price with similar features wins; or (2) the product with the best features for the same price wins.

Second, every perspective buyer will purchase based on the inclusion of EMR and, in the case of the Galaxy Book 12, an OLED display. Samsung neglects that Dell has already released tablets with OLED more than a year prior to the Galaxy Book’s release and OLED failed to sufficiently drive consumers to purchase. Today, this is why Dell now largely uses IPS TFT LCD displays in their tablets and they have mostly abandoned OLED. Screen resolution, on the other hand, has proven to be a greater factor in demonstrating tablet value to consumers. This is where the Galaxy Book 10 and 12 have a drawback: they have the screen resolutions of tablets (the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3) that are 2-3 years old. For many users, N-trig and Wacom AES have proven to be more than enough and greatly reduced negative feedback compared to prior technologies. Wacom EMR would require a substantial marketing effort that effectively demonstrates Wacom EMR’s benefits over competing products. We are not seeing that marketing effort in the media and consumers are largely satisfied with slightly lesser technologies N-trig and Wacom AES, so Wacom EMR will remain meaningless to consumers.

Since Wacom EMR is not well-known, OLED is not a high-ticket item and the pricing is comparatively high, I am strongly led to believe consumers will largely dismiss the Galaxy Book on the basis of perceived value. In addition, Samsung has to fight their widespread negative brand image since the hysteria of the Galaxy Note 7 incident. Images are your best friends and worst enemies in marketing, and consumers will long remember the images the news gave them of burning people, vehicles and factories. Paper specifications and press release promises are not sufficient to convince consumers to purchase the Galaxy Book. Minimally, Samsung will need to conduct an expensive marketing campaign demonstrating these advantages visually to consumers in a simple, meaningful way. Even this alone may be insufficient to pry consumers from the fear and distrust they developed after the Galaxy Note 7 incident. Take into account the minor hardware highlights, the high pricing, and Samsung’s current brand image and that leaves the Galaxy Book in a tough spot. All considered, I do not see the Galaxy Book faring well until pricing is adequately lowered.

As an addendum, I will add that the Galaxy Book 10 does stand a far greater chance at achieving some level of success since it is catering to the unfulfilled needs of those who prefer the Surface 3 form factor. I am sure USER can attest to this. However, the prospects of Windows on ARM with it just on the horizon are having an negative effect on USER’s willingness (and likely others like him in a similar boat) to purchase. There are also these consumers who noticed the scarcity of 10-inch tablets and learned to be more comfortable with the economy 12-inch Core M tablets. Many of these consumers may ultimately settle for these cheaper 12-inch models ($599 and lower) with greater storage (often starting at 128GB) and pass on the Galaxy Book 10 on account of price. Time will tell.

The carbon nanotube technology, or Graphene, is still in the research labs, and has an issue of plating at a consistent depth. This is something they will get through, but at current the carbon nanotube batteries will most probably come in after the solid state lithium batteries. Technically, they are not calling the Graphene based power sources batteries, but rather super conductors. And one of the issues they are having is they will deliver as much power as is requested up to complete discharge, meaning that if a tablet or laptop allows the power source to give it everything it has, it will, and can have some interesting consequences. Anything using Graphene based power sources I suspect will have to have some flow limiting device to protect the electronics, other technologies will not necessarily need (think of it as the ability to deliver lightening at any time, we have surge protectors to protect our electronics from such power surges but Graphene is a power source perfectly comfortable to deliver such a surge).

There are some small Graphene based power sources on the market as I understand it but I don’t think anyone has figured out the surge protection as of yet. That could happen rather quickly however.

It is utterly disappointing to think it has come to the point where the media is now calling something like this “The Most Powerful And Useful 10-Inch Windows 10 2-In-1 Tablet.” It has just eMMC storage, just one USB-C port, and just a full HD display in 2017 but apparently this is the best the industry can come up with. It would be a real shame if no company seized this opportunity and redefined this market category where no one is actually trying:

A brief excerpt from the article:

“Measured by the single-core Geekbench score, the 7th gen. Intel Core m3-7Y30 ‘Kaby Lake’ powered Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 is 160% faster than the Surface 3, and 175% faster than the Asus Transformer Mini. That’s a world of difference. And Samsung will remain safely in that top spot too, because all other 10-inch Windows 10 tablets in 2017 are powered by Intel Atom processors instead. So that’s one of the things that makes the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 very unique.”

I think this is just begging to be taken down by a far more capable 10-inch product. But from whom and what? :thinking: :wink:

Back in February, Google was discovered testing an 8.8-inch tablet, codenamed Poppy, running a Core m3-7Y30 processor with 8GB of RAM:

On November 9 last year, a stealthy device called Google Kevin was leaked for the first time, with what would be slightly above entry level specs and performance if it had been a tablet.

Since then, the hexa-core Google Kevin have been benchmark tested regularly, achieving single-core scores of around 1200, and multi-core scores of just over 1900 in Geekbench 4.

But during the night, a Google Poppy device with an Intel Core m3-7Y30 “Kaby Lake” processor have been benchmarked too for the first time. And with the Kaby Lake processor came 8GB of RAM as well. So a Google Poppy device may be in the works, and it would be a much more powerful than usual Android/Chrome device than we have been accustomed to.

Aire in Spanish sound better

When I came to this community was looking for something like this.
Let me say this, I do work in hospitality area and in meetings business I do see people’s carry around the surface 3 than the others laptops, I see people’s with two devices mostly smaller no bigger, one the surface 3 in the desk and the iPad lay down on the bed and around on the hotel like pool, lobby and restaurant, you see mostly those two devices I think for the smaller readeable size and convince.
And others community that I visit like there is a thread about the next GPD Win 2 and some people’s like smaller size, I do prefer smaller than 10". Even I did backed the 6 inches portable gaming device called SMACH Z, but like I said I do prefer like 8 or 10 screen size.
Couples months ago I did start a thread in this community about a portable gaming device and I did mention that it would be nice between 8 or 10 screen size, with the controller and fan addition.
I think this a pretty good idea to explore.