Concept: The world's first crowd-designed 10-inch tablet: the Eve V Air!

Well, it would involve a bit more of engineering work to get the design working. But see my second post at the very top of the thread. Intel already has a reference design of a 9.7-inch Core M tablet that has already been fully tested and has all the parts listed for purchase. It would likely use the same display part or a very similar derivative of the one Apple uses in the iPad. Eve would just have to go in, modify the CAD and PCB design files a bit to accommodate these additional features, and viola! Eve V Air. Now, to be realistic, this would likely take thousands of combined man-hours to complete from start to finish to ensure perfection. But the design is all there, ready to be used, and it would take much less time than it would to produce a custom design from the ground up like many companies do.

OK. Will do. I will add this poll right now.

can one version of this be a laptop? Always dreamed about small and powerful gaming laptop. All you have to do is have the tablet permanently attached right?

what is lbs? is it same as kilo?
I am fine with up to 1.5 kilo not more

Have to go to work, talk to you later

If you could have this 10-inch Core M tablet which would feature a 40Wh battery and an amazing 10-hour real-world battery life, what would you naturally expect its weight to be?

• 1.2 lbs, 0.54 kg or less
  • 1.3 lbs, 0.58 kg
  • 1.4 lbs, 0.63 kg
  • 1.5 lbs, 0.68 kg
  • 1.6 lbs, 0.72 kg or greater

0 voters

For reference, the Eve V with its much larger aluminum chassis, 48Wh battery and 12-inch display weighs 1.85 lbs (840 g). Shaving down that aluminum, possibly removing the kickstand, using a smaller 9.7-inch display, and having a smaller 40Wh battery should whittle down the Eve V Air’s weight by about 20% to 30% in my estimation. In other words, it should be around 1.4 pounds (635 g), ±0.1 pounds (±45 g).

Could you please use grams in your poll in addition to lbs?

I never made any changes to your poll, I asked you to do it. But if your edit limit is reached, I will do it now.

@nawthor: Thanks! Weird… That means it showed up after my first edit request even though it said I was out of edits. But then as soon as I refreshed the page, it went back to what everyone else was seeing. In other words, it was showing what I had seen in the preview view but in the normal thread view after I had closed the preview view, as if it had successfully edited it.

Honestly, most of the buyers that buy an iPad Pro 9.7 buy it because they want an iPad - easy to use, mobile apps and iOS. How could we target that market with a small Windows tablet?
I still believe (and I am certainly not the only one) that Windows 10 is not great for 8-10" devices compared to iOS and Android. The same issues that stopped Windows 10 Mobile from succeeding will stop this tablet. But that’s just my opinion.

We do not need to capture most of the iPad market. :wink: If we captured even a fraction of it, we would be in extremely good shape considering iPad’s annual sales are four times that of the entire Windows tablet market ( For the iPad Pro 9.7-inch users who want a true productivity-oriented platform, Windows is the only way to go. Beyond this, there are naturally other buyers spread across many other categories including Windows tablets and Android tablets who would really like a 10-inch Core M tablet like this. In addition, Windows 10 scales very well on a 2048 x 1536 9.7-inch display and it is in no way uncomfortable or cramped. At 200% scaling which also results in better quality scaling, everything is so well-sized and easy to tap on a 9.7-inch display. This is in contrast with the many 8-inch Windows tablets I have used over the years which were a bit cramped and limited for real estate. I had a NuVision TM970W510L and had it not been for the fact that it was manufacturers by Onda and had bad build quality, I would have kept it. The screen was gorgeous and the scaling was perfect for all my daily tasks, including lengthy coding sessions of upwards of 1000 lines. With Windows 10 Creators Update, scaling has improved even more and now no classic desktop apps that I can think have any grainy haziness as before. If you were speaking of Windows 8.1 and prior, I would agree with you about the issue of display size but this is no longer the case.

No, it works TERRIBLY on any screen bigger than 6". It was not designed for that, it was designed for phones, not tablets. I’m talking about Android here, don’t know anything about ios because frankly I just don’t care about it :slight_smile:
They do sell better than Windows tablets, but only because they’re cheap and the people who buy them only use them for facebook and angry birds.

Another thing that should be taken into consideration is windows 10 for ARM. They are planning to release several 6-10" devices for it. If this takes off then there goes our market share…

Hum… not judging the idea itself, but could it be that there is a reason why there is no more competition after few tries?

Rather than talk about a 10" tablet vs a 12" tablet, I would rather see the EVE team look at the possibilities of a tablet form of the EVE V with a battery that has 3 - 4 x the capacity of the current battery technology, I have attached a link to one of the first solid state lithium batteries on the market today (at least coming onto the market now), if it is a 10" format vs a 12" format is less interesting to me than a small tablet with a quad core I7 and a 4L screen that lasts all day!!. And doesn’t have the flammability concerns of current lithium battery packs that limits the capabilities of power associated with laptops and tablets today. Now that’s interesting, and is a real game changer. The gloves are off in what is capable if we had a power source with 3 - 4 x the capacity, as that is what is being balanced in capabilities to pull off an all day charge. If we are talking about the release of a product 18-24 months from now, then thinking big rather than 10" vs 12" is in order.

And if it is indeed a 10" tablet, the EVE V Air, but had an all week charge, imagine the reaction then, especially if the gloves were off on what was included inside (the Core M I believe was being done because of a smaller footprint available for a battery).

And sorry, here is the link

Totally agree.
We need different devices, not more of the same.
A new 10" device with innovative tech is going to garner a lot more attention that a V that has been shrunk down to 10".

@AntonyTerence: You just made my point. There is no 10-inch Core M tablet of the kind I mention, that is, 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio, none whatsoever.

No one tried yet is the point. The only 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio 10-inch Core M tablet released to date was produced by Onda, an obscure Chinese company that is known for making for tablets that have extremely high failure and defect rates. No one has tried yet. The Galaxy Book 10 will be the first 10-inch Core tablet of this kind to market and it is extremely low specced and underwhelming (barely full HD display, eMMC storage, just one USB-C port).

Eve V may have innovated as far as versatility and functionality, but they have not really been an early adopter of any brand-new technology, and experimenting with new battery technologies of all things is just asking for trouble. As we all know from the last few decades, with any new battery technology, unless it has been field-tested in very large scale mass quantities, new battery technologies will likely exhibit underlying issues and failure rates at higher than normal rates when it is first introduced to the market.

These can range from minor, non-dangerous things like battery capacity calibration to more serious situations like exploding or swelling batteries. These issues can very likely not even show up in a lab scenario but once you begin production on the order of thousands to millions where manufacturing variation comes into play, you immediately increase the likelihood of seeing some brand-new problem pop up that all the lab testing in the world would never reveal.

In short, it may look cool but new battery technology is taboo–it is (and can be literally) like playing with fire–one technology you should never be the early adopter of unless you are well-prepared for facing the high likelihood of recalls and device failures.

I agree. It’s better for us to use good-old lithium-ion batteries until new abttery tech is actually mainstream and field-tested

Windows on ARM by its very nature will use emulation to accomplish much of what it does to run traditional x86 programs. Even with APIs and the OS kernel being ported to ARM, there will inevitably be cases where running x86 software will be slow and inefficient when translating some code sequence compared to running it on native x86 hardware.

Besides, we already know from the recent benchmarks that the latest ARM-based Qualcomm Snapdragon 830 processor, which will be the first to run Windows on ARM, is slower than Core M when each is running its native software. Take away the native software from ARM and add an emulation layer of top of this, even the very best form of emulation the world has ever known, and there inevitably will still be slowdowns.

There is no magic bullet solution to emulation. With the single emulation demo we saw of Photoshop running on Windows on ARM, they just ran a very simple filter plugin on top of an image. We still have no idea how the performance will be with more demanding, time critical tasks like real-time digital pen input via this Windows on ARM emulation but it will surely be no where close to as fast as Intel Core M running x86 applications natively.

Note that in this live demo the Windows 10 GUI and the system apps (like Microsoft Edge and the Video app) have all likely been directly compiled for ARM. The real test would have been seeing more plug-in demos in Photoshop (an x86 program) and possibly real-time digital pen input in Photoshop, which they never actually show in the video. The drop-down menus (common to most Windows applications) run fast in Photoshop since that menu system relies on a Windows API which has likely been ported to ARM to achieve such smoothness.

Seeing how more complex plug-in effects than a simple radial blur and drawing on-screen with digital pen input work, which would inevitably have some elements that rely on x86 code, would have been the true test for performance. It is very likely this demo of Windows on ARM was cherry-picking examples while it did not us many of the inherent problems which always occur when emulating any platform. Also note that Universal Windows Platform apps have easily been able to be cross-compiled to ARM ever since Windows 8 hit the market, so World of Tanks: Blitz was likely running natively as an actual ARM-compiled app, not via emulation.