Concept: The world's first crowd-designed 10-inch tablet: the Eve V Air!

Concept A:

What Next on 2in1 form factor?
An amazing Eve V 10" Tablet
Community Digest 28.04
Community Digest 21.04
Community Digest 06.05

Concept B:

Eve V Air Specs:

CPU Intel 7th Gen Core m3/i5/i7
RAM 8 GB/16 GB LPDDR3
STORAGE 128/256/512 GB
CONNECTIVITY AC (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz)
2 x 2 MU-MIMO
Bluetooth 4.2
Wireless display Wi-Di
PORTS 1 x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB-C
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB-A
1 x 3.5mm audio
1 x Micro SDXC reader
DISPLAY 9.7 inch IGZO LCD
2048 x 1536 resolution
1000:1 contrast ratio, 500 nits brightness
TOUCH PANEL Gorilla Glass with Anti-Fingerprint and Anti-Reflective coating
Metal Mesh technology
BATTERY 40 Wh (10-hour real-world battery life)
SENSORS Fingerprint, Hall, Gravity, Light, Gyroscope, GPS
AUDIO Quad speakers, 1 W each
Dedicated Headphone Jack Audio Amplifier by TI
2 Noise Cancelling Microphones
CAMERAS 2 MP front and 5 MP back
STYLUS N-trig, Surface compatible, 1024 pressure levels, 2 buttons
KEYBOARD Pogo-Pin and Wireless Keyboard with Backlight and Latest Glass ClickPad by Synaptics
Bluetooth 4.2, connects up to 3 devices
15-hour continuous typing battery life
OS Windows 10
WEIGHT AND SIZE 9.45 x 6.67 x 0.36 inches (240 x 169.5 x 9.25 mm), 1.4 pounds (635 g)

My dream 10-inch Core M tablet announcement:

For the future of tablet computing, a 10-inch form factor is the ideal for both content consumption and doing real work. Oftentimes, holding a hefty, tall and wide, nearly 2-pound, 12-inch tablet to work on code in bed or to play light video games on the run is cumbersome and awkward. Switching back and forth between devices is just not the solution you would like. Why should you have to settle for less in 10 inches? Meet the Eve V Air.

The Eve V Air takes the best of performance and functionality you know and love from its older brother, the Eve V, and condenses it into a svelte 1.4-pound 10-inch form factor. The Eve V Air is light enough to hold just one-handed. Yet it is powerful enough to also speed through your difficult daily grind thanks to the latest Kaby Lake Intel Core Y-class processor (up to Core i7-7Y75, starting at Core m3-7Y30) under the hood. The best part? No whirling fans!

For road warriors and power users, running many programs all at once and being able to have all of them installed is especially important. For both heavy multitasking and memory hog programs, the Eve V Air comes with 8 GB of LPDDR3 RAM standard and up to 16 GB if you require it. SSD storage is fast and instant and roomy and plentiful, with an Intel 600p Series M.2 PCIe starting at 128 GB and up to 512 GB should you need it.

The Eve V took the Internet by storm with its sheer versatility, and the Eve V Air is no exception. Equipped with both a full-size USB-A port and a full Thunderbolt 3-enabled USB-C port, your only limit is the accessories at your disposal–from a retro USB gamepad to the latest eGPU box! There is also an additional USB-C port, a Micro SDXC card slot, a pogo-pin connector for a wireless keyboard, and a headphone jack. Take that, 9.7-inch try-hards!

A fast, stable network connection at home and on the go is a must for the daily commuter and the midnight movie watcher. For the best wireless connectivity, the Eve V Air features the latest dual-band Wi-Fi card from Intel (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265). With it comes support for both Wireless-AC (802.11AC) and Bluetooth 4.2 for fast downloads and pause-free streaming. For moments when Wi-Fi simply isn’t within reach, there is also optional support for LTE and GPS in the special cellular version of the Eve V Air.

You want the best, pixel-perfect experience and the Eve V Air has you covered. There is a razor sharp IGZO 9.7-inch 2048x1536 resolution display, protected by scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass 3 and applied with an anti-reflective coating in the factory, for a detailed, rock solid, crystal clear viewing experience. Support for the latest generation N-trig 1024-pressure level styluses is also included, making this a perfect drawing solution for digital designers.

At this small and slender 10-inch size, battery life can often be compromised and disappointing. Not so with the Eve V Air. By careful component selection and placement, the Eve engineering team has successfully fitted a 40Wh battery into the internal casing. You thought you couldn’t have iPad Air battery life in a 10-inch Windows tablet? Think again! There is up to 10 hours of real-world battery life so you never have to hunt for power outlets mid-day again!

The Eve V Air provides the ideal out-of-box experience so you can configure to your heart’s content. The BIOS settings are completely open and modifiable. For instance, you can drop the power draw of your processor for even longer lasting battery life or push it to the max to satisfy your inner speed demon. In addition, you can load Windows 10, Steam OS, Linux or any other operating system that you would like, provided there are the drivers for it. The Eve V Air is about pushing boundaries and bringing choice to all.

The Eve V revolutionized the tablet industry as the world’s first crowd-designed computer. Following in the footsteps of its illustrious predecessor, the Eve V Air is the world’s first crowd-designed 10-inch Core M tablet. A painstaking incremental design process–thanks to the combined efforts of Eve’s avid community of online users and its world-class engineering team–has culminated in the very best 10-inch tablet which money can buy.

Discover the all-new power and functionality in 10 inches. This is the Eve V Air.

Reference:
Here is Intel’s already spec’ed out and fully tested 9.7-inch tablet reference design that Eve could use as a starting point for designing the Eve V Air.
https://liliputing.com/2016/04/this-is-intels-2-in-1-tablet-reference-design-for-china.html

Why the Eve V Air 10-inch Core M tablet is both practical and innovative from a realistic viewpoint

A Surface Air is both practical (both from an engineering standpoint and from an end user’s view) and innovative for the reasons I describe in the faux ad I authored. As to practical usage, many of the Eve V Air’s features are ones already in the Eve V (CPU, WiFi, SSD, etc.) but now in a both easy-to-tote and easy-to-use 10-inch form factor. It is new and innovative since no one has yet built a 10-inch Core M tablet in a 3:2 or 4:3, iPad-or Surface-like aspect ratio. To make things easier, an Intel reference design is already available to use as the starting point in design for a 9.7-inch Core-based Windows tablet (pictured above; see also this link: https://liliputing.com/2016/04/this-is-intels-2-in-1-tablet-reference-design-for-china.html), spec’ed out and fully tested, making this extremely practical to design and implement. In comparison, the iPad Pro 9.7" is new and somewhat innovative but far from practical in usage given its severely limited functionality and expandability yet it manages to sell due to its branding.

However, if people could be presented with an alternative professional- and premium-targeted 10-inch tablet, one with Core M that could actually serve as a consumption device and a practical productivity device, it would sell. Many lawyers, for example, on TabletPCReview have expressed deep interest in one since it would give them the performance and functionality to manage multiple, lengthy case documentation on the go. Many artists, for example, have also expressed interest in a 10-inch Core M tablet since they want full Photoshop with plug-in support and all its other features in a 10-inch tablet, not a half-baked mobile version where the locked-down file system makes file access troublesome.

Latest polls

To you as a potential buyer, what would be the biggest appeal to purchase this 10-inch Core M tablet over the Surface 3 and the upcoming Galaxy Book 10?

What name do you think this 10-inch Core M tablet should have?

Round two: We are down to the final two contenders. What sort of operating system configuration would you prefer on this 10-inch Core M tablet?

If you could have this 10-inch Core M tablet which would feature a 40Wh battery and an amazing 10-hour real-world battery life, what would you naturally expect its weight to be?

Most relevant polls:

How many hours of battery life would you like on this 10-inch Core M tablet?

What sort of operating system configuration would you prefer on this 10-inch Core M tablet?

Which feature do you believe would be the hardest to implement in this 10-inch Core M tablet?

Which of the following best describes your reason for wanting to buy this 10-inch Core M tablet?

Would you be willing to step up to a battery larger than 40Wh and a slightly thicker 10-inch Core M tablet if in exchange it gave you greater overall battery life?

What digital pen technology would you ultimately prefer on this 10-inch Core M tablet?

Would you be willing to purchase this 10-inch Core M tablet with the specifications as listed above in the original post?

As a follow-up to @Alexandr_Smirnov 's poll, if you specified that you were not currently interested in purchasing a 8- to 10-inch tablet, did you back the Eve V?

To only NON-backers of the Eve V: Would you purchase this 10-inch tablet? In addition, please also explain why or why not in a comment below.

Reserved…

Please feel free to evaluate and discuss the 10-inch Core M tablet design proposals.

No offense, but I think there’s too little difference between this and Eve V in terms of size. It would still weigh at least 750g, you would have worse battery life because you can’t fit such a big battery inside, or it would be thicker… So really, what’s the point… Especially for Eve, who already have a very similar tablet. I think it’s best to try some other market segment so that they could have more sales. Their primary audience is this community, and most members have bought or are planning to buy a V. That’s what they joined it for. I don’t see why anyone who has a V would buy a pretty much identical product with an ever so slightly smaller screen…

Oh, and it would be much easier to read your thread if you posted a short resume above your “marketing text” :wink: Just some bullet points with the most important features described in a very concise way.

Personal opinion:
If you need device for work - screen size should be al least 12".
If you need small portable tablet - android/ios tablets will be the best choice.

I am not sure about that! (2 cents as usual :wink: )

For work of course 12" is necessary most of the time. But if i am on the go or at home browsing the web, checking e-mails and take care of some small tasks 9,7" is more useful. I really enjoyed using my ipad (it didn’t survive an unintentional drop test :fearful:) but didn’t like the limitation. If I had to edit a word/excel/etc-file I got sent I always had to use my laptop for this small things. So a device, which combines the characteristics of a multimedia-device (watching movies, using it for home-automation etc.) and a office-device (windows os) with 9,7" seems to me as a pretty good idea.

Keep in mind, that still a lot of people are used to windows and when they can have a tablet with a useable size and a os, they already know and are used to, i think they will likely prefer this over an ios or android device; especially because they can do the same things in the same way as before just with a tablet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How much does the Eve V weigh? In virtue of there being less case aluminum (one of the greatest contributors to weight in premium tablets), the Eve V Air would weigh less.

@Pacman:
This is a common misconception.
Everybody thinks that you have to work on the device, with it’s keyboard and screen.
90% of businesslaptops have dockingports, that are used to dock the device into a working environment when at work.
If necessary you can use it while commuting, but very few do real work then.

With a device like this ( or even smaller like 8" ) you can use the device to read your mail,
documents and what not on the way and connect it to the working environment via TB3.

Best of all worlds.

IMO, the battery life is a bit too optimistic. The base Surface Pro 4 has 39 Wh battery and Intel Core m3 processor, which is similar to your proposal. The battery life is decent at best, but certainly way below our expectation.

I think we need to use Intel Atom for this, so that we can reduce the weight a bit further, by using smaller battery. As a comparison, the Surface 3 has 28 Wh battery, and manages to beat the battery life of its bigger brother, the Surface Pro 3. That means, 35-40 Wh on Atom would be comparable against 48Wh on the V.
Samsung had just recently announced a Core M tablet with 10" screen, so keep in mind that youre going to compete with that.

It has an even smaller 30 Wh battery, though it has much lower resolution screen.
Another way to tackle this issue is by introducing removable battery, so the user can carry 2 batteries. That would allow us to trim the weight even further

It weighs 840g (tablet) and less than a Kg with the keyboard :wink:

True, except the screen size is quite a bit smaller on an iPad compared to a Surface. Also keep in mind that display power consumption can easily dominate power draw. This means the smaller display should lead to a bit less power draw overall than a Surface Pro 4. On the other hand, the difference in power consumption between Atom and Y-class Core M (in standard 7-watt configuration) is typically very small. The Atom X7-Z8750 consumes about 6W under load versus a Core M processor consuming 7W (link incoming). I do think 10-hours is very possible, though, which is still not bad and the same rated battery life as the iPad Pro 9.7".

I think you have a smartphone to read news and check e-mail.
I prefer to work on the desktop with large screen(s), a convenient keyboard and a power CPU (and sometimes with a computing cluster). But when traveling or have a business trip, I need something mobile.

8" table looks like an intermediate stage between smartphone and 12" tablet and it have all disadvantages of both: it will never be as convenient/powerful as 12" tablet and newer be as mobile as smartphone.

As I wrote above, this is my personal opinion. If your work is not connected with calculations, programming, and a large amount of data and consists only of reading / typing, then 8" could be enough.

I realize everyone is different, but I have worked thousands of lines of code on an 8-inch tablet and I know several in my university’s CS and EE departments who have done the same with 8- to 10-inch tablets and have had no issues.

Actually, Windows tablets are quite good for leisure. Much better than Android :stuck_out_tongue: Android just isn’t made for screens above 6", apps don’t scale well, so all you can do is browse the internet. But then, not all sites are made to work well with touch, so you’ll have problems even with that. On Windows, you can actually play games like Civilization 5, not only angry birds :smiley:

@Hifihedgehog it’s a bit lighter than 850g, really not heavy and not tiring to hold in my experience…

Same old arguments against a device like this, " Oh but you can’t do professional work on this size".
I’m a software developer for 30 years and have been using notebooks for the last 15.
I need it because I’m often in my homeoffice or travel to customers and subsidiaries.
Working on it’s keyboard and screen happens very very seldom.
When I’m doing real work, it is docked to my monitor, keyboard and stuff, that is why I really like the mix plus and it’s usb type c.
An 8"-10" device with 8GB ram ( or more ) would be enough for my whole work.

OK. Shaving down the aluminum combined with the smaller display and slightly smaller battery, we would be looking at around 1.4 pounds, roughly, I believe.

@Patrick_Hermawan: Sorry about not editing this link in. I am out of edits for the day. Here is a power comparison between the Intel Atom and Core M I referenced.

Generally speaking, the power consumption is typically dominated by the display power, followed by the processor, and finally the on-board components are secondary sources. In addition, the recently announced Galaxy Book 10 with a slightly larger 10.8-inch display and only 32Wh battery promises 10-hour battery life. I believe this is unrealistic, but with a 40Wh battery, it could do it, I believe. I also believe my 12-hour battery life estimation may have been a bit high. I will amend this shortly, once I can edit again. But 10-hour battery life is feasible with a 40Wh battery and the significantly smaller, lower power 9.7-inch display.

I think its not the full-load CPU power consumption that matters, as they are rarely on full-load anyway. I think the biggest load is on everything that has to go with implementing a full Core platform. As an example, Atom platform uses eMMC flash storage, instead of proper full SSD. In addition to that, Atom mainboards are generally tiny in comparison to Core mainboard, which means there are far less components to power. I dont know exactly why and by how much though.

That sort of things add up and will easily eat a few hours of battery life.

Another way to tackle this issue is by introducing removable battery, so the user can carry 2 batteries. That would allow us to trim the weight even further. My concept here is to have something like 25-30Wh removable battery. This would be good for 5h-6h.
We have to make the battery switch as seamless as possible. That means, we integrate the back cover with the battery, so they come off as one piece. To make the battery switch even more seamless, we could integrate a very small battery (1 Wh) simply as the secondary source of power when you switch one battery to another. This is good for 5-10 minutes, more than enough time for you to switch the big batteries.

I would definitely prefer this method, as this means I can have very lightweight device (iPad Air 2 has 28Wh) running Core M, and I can keep a battery handy in each place. One in the bag, one in the office, one at home, one in the car, etc.