Comparison of the Eve V CPUs (and other CPU-related things)

Hi,
I am still not clear wich EVE I will order, so I am looking for similar products to make up my mind. Of course I looked for comparisons of the surface pro (2017) m3 to i5.
I found out that the surface pro i5 (2017) is using the real desktop CPU - the U model WITHOUT fan…the EVE is “only” using the Y model…so the surface has more CPU power when it comes to CPU spikes - right?

I wonder about this - I always had the impression both tablets use the same CPU…so you really have to be carful when it comes to comparing different computers which seem similar…

What do you think.

Best.
F.

The problem is that people tend to just check “oh this has a desktop grade CPU so it must be better”. Then they don’t realise that that CPU also needs cooling, and if it doesn’t have one, it will start a throttle festival inside it’s chassis pretty quickly after stressed.

I agree with your comment. I do agree that specification are the essential core into buying however if the device thermal throttles the device just cannot utilise its full potential. @FFrankHB do not solely focus on the CPU to justify your decision, focus on what each device will offer compare to its competitions.

Pls don’t call Y and/or U series CPU’s desktop grade, the only thing close to desktop grade is the -HQ series.

You are right with this. I made up my mind already. I will get an EVE V - not a surface. But I am still not sure if it should be the m3 ore the i5. So I was looking for comarisons of the two to have an idea…and so I found out.

Sadly nobody can tell me - take the m3, you will be happy :wink:

Best.
F.

Take the i5, you will be more happy :):wink:

@FFrankHB order the i5. As your needs becomes more demanding, the i5 will outshine the M3.

“Take the i5, you will be more happy :):wink:

Hahaha, nice one :smile:

To be honest - I already know I need the m5 with at best 16GB - but I can not really efford it…
:frowning:

Brilliant!

There is very little I can add that hasn’t been said about the performance of our processor compared to the one in the surface.

Indeed, their Ultrabook-class ‘U’ CPU has a potential for greater sustained performance. During those spikes that you mention, though, they will perform quite similarly. Both the 2-in-1 class ‘Y’ processors and ‘U’ processors can provide serious performance when called upon. The advantage of the U-class CPU is that it can maintain that performance level for longer at a time.

As both CPU types are aimed at thin-and-light devices, with power saving taking priority over processing power, the performance outside of sustained processing workloads is nearly identical.

Using more power also means the chip generates more waste heat, and this is where we see the downside of pairing a U-class CPU with a fanless design: even though the CPU could sustain high performance, thermal limitations will still keep it from maintaining higher clock speeds over time. In the end, though the Surface is equipped with a technically more powerful processor, the way it’s implemented makes it so that in practice it will not perform much better than its Y-class equivalent in the V.

Meanwhile, the V’s CPU is designed to be more power-efficient, which is a benefit you can see reflected in its battery life compared to the competitor from Microsoft.

(And as for the comparison to desktop CPUs, not even the H-class – which offers an almost even balance between processing power and energy savings – can measure up to the S, K and X-classes aimed at the desktop and high-end-desktop segments. These were designed for processing power above all!)

Now, m3 vs. i5… It really depends on what you plan to do with the device! If you’re looking to use it for office work or content consumption, you will notice no difference between the m3 and i5 model. So if that’s all you need, you can save a bunch of money and choose the m3!

Or, if you will, “if the above applies to you, then take the m3, you will be happy!” :wink:

In gaming the i5 may have a slight performance advantage, though both will only lend themselves for entry-level gaming or heavily optimised titles like eSports games. In content creation like photo and video editing, the i5 will see a bigger performance improvement of up to about 20%. Very heavy Excel sheets with thousands of lines with references and formulas may also benefit from the i5. If you are into having tens of tabs open at once in Chrome, you may benefit from the i5 model with doubled RAM, though that, too, comes at a cost. And of course, the i5 is a good option if 128GB of storage is not enough for you!

Luckily we live in a time where really slow computers are hard to come by. Unless you really want to save a buck and buy Intel’s N-class CPUs: the dreaded Atom. Where Y combines performance and battery life at the cost of price, N combines price and battery life at the cost of performance…

@Helios, this is a really good explanation - thanks!
Now I have time to the 4th of December to make up my mind :wink:
Thanks.
F.

What more processor are they using?

I am waiting for a 8-Core power efficient Ultrabook…in a distant future.

Intel’s taken the first step there with the new quad-core U models. With HTT that’s eight logical cores, anyway.

Then again, even the new line-up of S and K processors only go up to six physical cores. If they’re not even willing to offer us octo-cores for the desktop, it’ll probably be a while before we see them in mobile H CPUs, let alone U…

I mean model… Sorry

I was hoping I could look up the PassMark scores to see what sort of comparison I can make.

Testing quad core 15" Surface Book 2 right now - and it is beauty …

Great specs. It’s like a few months mortgage payment though

Let’s see (links to Intel ARK specifications by clicking the model names);
The Eve V i5 models use an Intel Core i5-7Y54.
The Surface Pro 2017 i5 models use an Intel Core i5-7300U.

Keep in mind that the Y-class CPUs can be set within a TDP range by the manufacturer, this can influence the performance a lot! Some devices will have the TDP locked to 4.5W, which is great for battery, but not so much for performance. Manufacturers generally do not disclose what TDP they have locked the CPU to, and I don’t know of any device apart from the V that lets the end user control this ‘TDP-Up’ feature.

The V ships with 7W as the default, the maximum value that Intel guarantees (and so the maximum value we can cover under warranty). It can be set to 4.5W ‘battery saver mode’ in the BIOS if you want to save your battery. Our thermal solution has been tested and proven to handle up to 13W, so at 7W the V will definitely not thermal throttle!

13w TDP usage risks

Big fan of @Helios saying “there is very little I can add” and then embarking in one of the clearest summaries I’ve read in this forum about the difference between processors. Little added, but well explained! :clap: