Colour calibration

Reading these made me more confused… is it accurate or is it off? Is it worth waiting for the 240Hz one?

I hope to order a Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus (the new name for the X-Rite i1Display Pro Plus) early next week. I want to compare the measured delta-E values against the calibration chart I received with the display, to check how far off the factory calibration is.

I’ll post the results here when they’re available.

4 Likes

From my understanding unless you set the ICC profile your PC won’t actually be sending dci-p3 color info meaning the colors will display wrong

I’ve been looking for places that will calibrate it for me locally, let me know if you buy it I’ve been looking at some

Here are my results using an X-Rite (now calibrite) i1 Display Plus and DisplayCAL:

DCI-P3 D65 coverage on my unit is 94%. Lower than advertised but not bad. Average delta E is very good at 0.16.

For comparison, my Dell UP2720Q meets its advertised 99% Adobe RGB coverage and has an average delta E of 0.08. Colors are richer and more vibrant on the Dell, but it’s a photography-specific monitor and costs twice as much.

1 Like

I was considering getting ColouSpace ZRO to augment DisplayCAL, as I bought the i1 Display Pro Plus, but I haven’t gotten around to it.

Does DisplayCAL do ‘enough’ or is it better than it’s been touted to be in some places?

I decided not to get ZRO as it doesn’t have LUT manipulation at all, and I am pretty sure that I will want that for my LG C1, and (hopefully) future Eve monitors. So, no point in spending that money for the ZRO version. But full CS is expensive…

1 Like

I’m not too familiar with ColourSpace but I’m also not an expert on colo(u)r calibration. DisplayCAL does everything I need it to and was the de-facto recommendation when I was learning about colorimeters a couple years ago. Based on my brief dive into ColourSpace, it seems like it might be more popular among the video-editing crowd.

DisplayCAL works nicely with the Display Pro Plus and includes a profile loader to change ICC profiles, and manage multiple profiles across multiple displays. I’m happy with it for my needs (general PC use and photo editing) but if I get bored in the future I might take another look at ColourSpace.

1 Like

I’ve found that DisplayCAL seems to work fairly well. It’s certainly a lot better than the default X-Rite / Calibrite software, which seems to get the colour temperature too warm.

The biggest issue I’ve had with DisplayCAL is getting the right ICM file to install. It’s not so bad with SDR profiles, but with HDR profiles (using madVR) I couldn’t get the ICM profile to associate with the Spectrum. It turns out I was grabbing the wrong file - the correct ICM file is somewhere around 900KB in size.

I did take a look at the ColourSpace software and it looked interesting, but was very expensive. They have an option to rent the software for 5 days, which is around 15% of the price of a full license. It’s still expensive, but much more palatable if someone wants to give it a go.

1 Like

The price itself is what has been holding me back thus far - but now that I have my major purchases out of the way, I’m budgeting for it. I have 3 different devices that can make use of the full version.

I didn’t realize the rental route existed - but as I’ve never actually done this before, and will be doing an older Samsung Q6 series TV, my newer LG C1 and my Spectrums, plus I want to be able to do it on future Spectrums, that really isn’t feasible for me. If I was doing only a few devices, sure.

Ah, well. I used up my device savings on my GPU + bundle, so time to start saving again.

Are there profiles floating around?

There is no point in upgrading your colour calibration software if you can’t improve the accuracy of the test, I would suggest you buy a spectrometer first e.g. Jeti 1501 HiRes

1 Like

Funny you should day that. Just had the same discussion with a friend of mine in another forum yesterday.

Twice from 2 different sources definitely adds clout to that argument for sure.

I don’t recommend any Spyder colourimeter or X-Rite spectrometer, they both have some problems that make the results not very informative.

I have some ES07D03 color cheack results , which were originally expected to be published for monitor review but were delayed by some interviews.

Here are some of the reviews

Spectrum (FHWM <8)

DCI-P3 (Uncalibrated, custom colour temperature)

Rec709 (Uncalibrated)

HDR PQ (Uncalibrated)

HDR colour accuracy (Uncalibrated)

*DCI-P3 and HDR use the same settings for using a custom colour temperature is that I am verifying the factory calibration and the design needs hardware to maintain the accuracy of the white point.

My personal opinion is this monitor has very accurate factory calibration, other manufacturers would only use the same level of spectral correction calibration on very expensive products (professional graphics or hardware 3DLut support)

Other gaming monitors that don’t have 3DLut support will at best use the CA-410 without spectral correction, and most will use the X-Rite i1D3 colorimeter for gamma correction.

It is common practice for gaming monitors to apply the statistics to all products and not update them.

2 Likes

I don’t recommend any Spyder colourimeter or X-Rite spectrometer, they both have some problems that make the results not very informative.

Could you elaborate on the issues you see with the above products? I’ve heard of some problems with the older Spyder ones but I’m unaware of any with the X-Rite/Calibrite products. I think the X-Rite meters most people are using such as the Display Pro Plus are colorimeters:

Calibrite-Calibrator-comparison-chart-EN.pdf

1 Like

Spyder 4&5 unreliable in terms of contrast and brightness

Spyder X is very close to I1D3 but I have seen some cases where the test was inaccurate after one year (it could also be due to lack of calibration and the use of spectral correction instead of the proprietary reference instrument matrix correction)

The problem with the i1 PRO 3 is the high cost of factory calibration, and the fact that the i1 PRO 2 stopped supporting calibration a few months before the 3 came out, and I’ve seen discussions on the AVS forum about renting two i1 PRO 3s to read the CIE 1931 xyZ with different results, but no examples of how big the different is.

I’ve also heard that the CS-2000A has the same problem and needs to be corrected with a reference matrix, but I’d rather trust minolta or Topcon calibration.

My own spectrometer is a small, unknown Chinese brand and I have found a reference instrument, the Topcon SR-UL1R, to ensure that it is accurate and that they have the same data reproducibility.

1 Like

There’s also this glitch to consider: Firmware bug: Gamma 2.2 doesn't apply calibration on monitor startup/mode switch

It affects the default calibration with gamma 2.2, which is usually the closest calibration target, so I imagine most people leave it at that. The calibration that you get after just starting up is moderately worse than if you toggle the gamma setting in the monitor up and down. Hopefully it’s fixed in 1.07. They said they’re going to have a more precise gamma setting, like in increments of .01, so that alone may cause a rewrite and indiscriminately fix the bug.

2 Likes

My own spectrometer is a small, unknown Chinese brand and I have found a reference instrument, the Topcon SR-UL1R, to ensure that it is accurate and that they have the same data reproducibility.

From my quick an uninformed search, it seems that Topcon unit goes for over $1,000 used? So not exactly an apples to apples comparison, though I understand the value of regular instrument calibration.

Would you say it’s not worth trying to calibrate displays unless you have a sizable budget, or are there still benefits to be had from spending ~$200-300 for a consumer-level device like the i1 Pro 3?

I would recommend that you first make sure that you can recalibrate your spectrometer once a year for at least five years,

I wouldn’t recommend buying a used Topcon instrument, as they prohibit their agents from calibrating discontinued products (you can still correct the Y-axis of the spectrum by unofficial calibration, but most manufacturers require original certification to calibrate the X-axis of the spectrum).

Used i1PRO2’s are rubbish, you can’t recalibrate them.
The i1PRO3 data interval of 3.3nm and FHWM 10 are not ideal, and the official calibration period is much shorter and more expensive than other spectrometers.

It is best to go to the CS-1000A/PR-670, or to smaller manufacturers such as Apacer AL200/AL210 who offer free calibration but you have to send it to the original manufacturer in Taiwan, with this spectrometer you can make RGBW matrix corrections to the colorimeter, In my case it was the Klein K-10.

The equipment you recommend here is completely unrealistic for most people.

Used CS-1000A models go for more than USD$5000 on eBay, and PR-670 are more than USD$10000. I could barely find any mentions of the Apacer models, and nothing that mentions prices.

It seems highly unlikely that anyone here will end up buying a spectrometer, given that the cost of the equipment is often more (sometimes several times more) than the price of the monitor. What most people care about is something they can spend a couple of hundred USD on to get a fairly good (but not necessarily perfect) result.

At that price level, the i1Display 3 is probably the best option. It gives pretty good (but not perfect) results, and has been proven to have low calibration drift over time. The Spyder X also looks like it gives good results, but the Spyder range have previously shown bad calibration drift due to optical component degradation, and it’s hard to say if the newer model has fixed those issues or not.

If there are any decent spectrometers available at reasonable prices (max USD-$500) I’m sure there’s a few people here that would be willing to pay the price. However, given that the Spectrum doesn’t support updating the hardware LUT, more expensive calibration hardware just doesn’t seem worth it.

Many of the CS-1000A’s on EBAY have been resold many times, I would recommend buying from the Japanese used market I found one for $800 that functioned fine but needed to be recalibrated

The SR-3A/SR-3AR is available in China and Japan for around $700-$1500 used, but it is a pain to calibrate.

I have found PR-670’s for $2000 in China, and $1000 for a PR-655 and a bunch of cheap PR-650’s (EBAY has had a warehouse of PR655’s for $60 a unit but no batteries and no guarantee of availability).

500 is too low for Apacer, their products are around $3000+ and their customers are mainly Taiwanese panel makers.

Apacer’s advantages are probably

1. support third party calibration of the X-axis and Y-axis of the spectrum
  2. support for RGBW matrix correction
  3. you can customize FHWM, but the higher the resolution, the worse the minimum accurate brightness

I still don’t recommend the Spyder or X-RITE, they have a one year warranty for a reason.
I have a 2018 i1D3 Rev A and I can’t find the official service window for calibration of the colorimeter at all, the CCSS spectral correction is no longer accurate for uncalibrated devices, you have to use the reference instrument CCMX correction to get accurate results, if you don’t use any CCMX then the brightness and chromaticity and colour temperature are all completely wrong.