Colour calibration

I’ve been waiting for a decent colour calibration review for a while, and unfortunately the first one I found (Eve Spectrum 4K Review: It Exists, and It’s Mighty Good | Digital Trends) comes back miles off what Eve are claiming.

Here’s what they had to say: “Coverage of the DCI-P3 space was limited to 95% instead of the promised 98%, which is acceptable, but gamma was at 2.3 instead of 2.2, the white point was at 7100K instead of 6500K, but worst of all, the color accuracy reading I got carried a Delta-E of 2.31, which falls outside the acceptable norm for professional color grading and is well off from the promised value of 0.5, as per the included report. Normally, I’d boil this down to differences in test equipment, but with deviations this big, I have trouble believing that said calibration was even carried out.”

That’s quite disappointing given Eve’s claims. It’ll be interesting to see more reviews with this level of detail and how they compare to the calibration report in the box.

2 Likes

I’ve had an X-Rite i1Display on my Amazon wishlist for a while, but haven’t made it a priority because it’s £249. I might have to save my pennies and get it so that I can see how far off the calibration actually is.

(I also plan on using the Spectrum to edit photos, so a proper calibration will help with that too.)

1 Like

Yeah I’ll likely have to do the same. It’s usually best regardless of manufacturer claims re: calibration, however this would be particularly disappointing if it turns out the numbers on the Calibration Report are fabricated or inaccurate across the board.

I have noticed the white point not exactly matching other displays and being bit warmer than most, but not sure if the other monitors had the same white point calibration. However it could definitely be useful if spectrum allowed more settings for white point calibration, as at the moment, there are only three options.

Hey, @roderick_jon!

Test equipment difference is precisely what is in the play here. Each calibration tool company has its own color standard. According to our specialized factory calibration tool, the DCI-P3 coverage is 98%, gamma default preset 2.2 is 2.2, white point default preset Normal is 6500K, and the typical average ΔE is 0.59.

P1003327-Enhanced
A Spectrum unit was calibrated on the line.

5 Likes

Hmmm, maybe but even the review states that the deviations are too big for it to just be equipment differences. And I’m somewhat inclined to believe that because there are some significant ones.

That being said, I’m keen to see more reviewers do proper colour analysis like this to get a better idea of how they stack up on average. Maybe this reviewer just had a particularly deviated unit.

1 Like

I do amateur photography work and own an X-Rite i1Display Pro Plus. Once my Spectrum arrives I plan to calibrate it. Mine is coming standard shipping though so it may be a while.

My primary photo editing display is a Dell UP2720Q. The Spectrum will be used for gaming and non-photography productivity work, but I’m hoping it’s relatively accurate and doesn’t look wildly off-balance next to the Dell. If it does, that’s what the X-Rite is for.

FWIW, the Dell is a $1600 monitor, and even then some reviews found the white point was different than claimed. There is some variation even on a $1600 dedicated photography display, so I’m willing to give Eve the benefit of the doubt that they’re following standard practices for factory calibrations.

5 Likes

I might be able to borrow a SpyderX for when I receive my monitor (soon).

I’ve never done calibration before.
I do understand that it should target gamma 2.2 and WB 6500K.

However, with a gaming usage, should the calibration:

1. use sRGB mode or Wide/P3 mode ?
  2. target a luminance 100 cd/m² ?
  3. what about HDR: needs something specific? (might not use it if HDR600 isn’t great enough)

Thanks in advance for anyone help here! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, some deviations are normal. But there were a lot in this instance.

And my understanding was Spectrum was built not just for gaming, that’s why I got it. So I had high hopes it would be reasonably accurate out of the box until I can afford a calibration tool.

Their test model certainly didn’t seem to match the targets. It’s an interesting data point for sure. I too would like to see calibration reports from more people to get an idea how much variation there is.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the SpyderX Digital Trends used in their review is a big step up from Datacolor’s earlier models, it’s still not on par with X-Rite. X-Rite is considered the industry standard, and I would trust measurements taken with an X-Rite more than I would a Datacolor. Datacolor used to use lenses in their meters that would degrade over time. I believe they may have addressed this with the SpyderX, but I think the i1 Display Pro is still a more accurate colorimeter.

Source:

5 Likes

Ooh that’s good intel, thanks mate

No profile

With profile

DisplayPort 1.4 4K@144Hz
Note that this is my first time calibrating, can’t guarantee I’ve did everything perfectly. From what I can barely understand :

1. Calibration report provided by Eve might not be accurate (like DigitalTrends saw too).
  2. Not sure how I could get closer to 6500K instead of 6900K and if it really matters (I see that we can adjust temperature with “user defined” in OSD) ?
  3. Is the “gray/kelvin curve” supposed to be flat??

I have the SpyderX for at least the weekend (maybe more), let me know if I need to do/test something else (another tool maybe DisplayCAL, …) ?

Edit

With newer profile:

User define 255-255-250 temperature

• 100% sRGB, 89% AdobeRGB, 96% P3
  • Gamma curve 2.2: OK
  • Gray Kelvin curve: it’s flatter than before (still a drop but the range is lower)
  • 6500K at 300cd/m² results in 6500K with 910:1 ratio (better accuracy and constrast ratio)
  • New colors according to SpyderX (min 0.15, med 0.65, max 1.69):

I prefer this over the previous one. I think I’ll stop here.
I’m not sure it will make a clear difference anyway in most gaming situation.

6 Likes

This info is great. Those averages are really good. Could some of the review units be outliers at the edge of calibration tolerances?

Some panels are obviously not going to be able to fit the best of the standard, so it makes sense for there to be min/max quality tolerances. Not every panel will be the best panel for obvious reasons.

A good question would be: what are the minimum and maximum tolerances? Another question, if that’s too much information: how confident is the team that the issue is entirely on the side of the reviewer, and if so, could it be possible to educate them?

2 Likes

Hey, @J0kers!

I would like to offer my personal advice in calibrating ES07D03 with SpyderXElite based on my experience of frequently calibrating this monitor for processing filming content.

Gaming usage doesn’t necessarily require a calibration setting separate from P3/sRGB content production. In total, three scenarios may be encountered when gaming with an ICC profile applied.

1. The game recognizes the profile. This is the most optimal case where the game maps itself appropriately according to the profile.
  2. The game does not recognize the profile, but its color science is designed to be compatible with a wide gamut. In this case, the game sacrifices some saturation when viewed with an sRGB display but still maintains a reasonable saturation level with a wide-gamut display. When I process pictures and videos for our community and customers, I adjust them with the same logic in mind. Although the color turns out a bit dull for color-managed applications or an sRGB display, the over-saturation is still reasonable otherwise. A good example of pictures processed under this principle is those on the topic Your Spectrum On The Line.
  3. The game does not recognize the profile, and it is unacceptably over-saturated with a wide-gamut display. This is the worse case where a hardware solution of sRGB mode – locking the gamut to strickly 100% sRGB – is required to save the day.

Based on the fact that a color-managed application can correctly map the content according to an ICC profile (note: not the monitor hardware), the ICC profile needs to target the color space appropriate to the monitor hardware. Take ES07D03 as an example. By default, this target needs to be DCI-P3 (6500K, gamma 2.2). In sRGB mode, this target needs to be sRGB (6500K, gamma 2.2).

Luminance target may be required by some specific workflow of which I’m not aware. However, because ES07D03’s color reproduction properties (gamma, white point, contrast) remain consistent when brightness is adjusted, I recommend simply pick a comfortable brightness level to perform calibration and uncheck the luminance target.

Regarding HDR color performance, which is almost entirely dependent on factory settings and hardware calibration, there is not much SpyderXElite can do to improve accuracy in this area.

According to SpyderXElite’s standard, yes, the in-box report is inaccurate. However, each calibration tool company has its own standard, so the factory tool used on ES07D03 shows otherwise. Therefore, for my following suggestions, I’ll speak within the context of SyperderXElite’s standard.

Within the software SpyderXEliteMQA, there’s a measurement named ‘White Point At Different OSD Settings.’ To obtain 6500K, adjust the user-defined temperature in the OSD until 6500K (0.313x, 0.329y) or something very close is recorded. Tips:

• When reducing Blue, both x and y are increased noticeably.
  • When reducing Green, x is increased slightly while y is reduced noticeably.
  • When reducing Red, x is reduced noticeably while y stays the same.

The standard white point matters when viewing other professionally calibrated content (pictures, videos) to preserve the original intent.

Ideally, yes. So the closer the curve to a flat line, the better the grey reproduction.

I hope my comment is of help!

7 Likes

Where can we get the dci-p3 profile? I can’t find it anywhere

There isn’t one. You’ll have to use a generic one.

Support claims there’s instruction on calibrating it in the box but won’t tell me where

I don’t think support properly understood the question. The only thing in the box is the factory calibration report.

Any calibration you do yourself is only going to result in an ICC profile. There’s no way to update the calibration stored in the Spectrum.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s my thoughts to but I’m waiting to reply with clarification, hoping there’s some secret link for the profile hidden somewhere

Reading these made me more confused… is it accurate or is it off? Is it worth waiting for the 240Hz one?