Charger and cable- alternatives?

This may be a dumb question and/or already have been answered, but I can’t find it in the forum. My apologies if the answers are already there.

I have one of the early Eves. My question is (three parts):

1. Why can’t I use the same cable for charging as I do for my newish Android phone? It’s an ‘A’ (the A end goes straight into my power extension socket) to ‘C’, but they’re both USB-C at the output end, right?

2. Can I use any C to C cable in conjunction with the charger?

3. Whichever cable I have to use, can I use a different plug/charger? Is there a less bulky way than the ‘traditional’ Eve plug/charger?

Thanks!

1. You can, but it won’t charge very fast. See also…
  2. The V uses the USB Power Delivery protocol (USB PD) for charging so you need a cable rated for that (15W I think).
  3. Yes, but make sure (a) it’s powerful enough - able to supply 15W and (b) from a reputable source so it doesn’t fry your V. I have chargers I use from Inatek, Olixar and Anker.

EDIT: OK, I got the 15W wrong - I thought it was a bit low. I think the supplied charger does 45W.
EDIT2: My Anker charger is 45W but that’s split between 3 ports. Even if nothing else is plugged in each port gets only 15W (that must be where I got that number from!). It’s OK but doesn’t really charge the V while it’s being used so make sure that you can get 45W (or more) per port.

2 Likes

The PD standard specifies that up to 100W can be used.
EVEV can be charged with 20V(19V?) 2A, so if you choose an adapter that can output 45W, it is OK. 30W is no use, and if you use an adapter of 60W or more, you can use it stably.
However, you must use high quality cables.
The cable I use is
“Vinpok’s Pick 20 Pins USB-C Magnetic Charging Cable for MacBook Pro / Air”
I think that the adapter using a GaN (gallium nitride) element is small and good.
I recommend RAVPOWER RP-PC112.

3 Likes

Thank you, Mr. Breezy.

Many thanks, Yan78…

1 Like

So If i want to buy a charger with 30W-PD output wouldn’t it work?
I assume it would be a little slower but it should work no?

If the adapter and cable are officially compatible with PD, it will be charged at 30w.
However, Charger are always at full Power and may shorten lifespan.

The worst thing is, if the charger tries to respond to the 20V2A request from EVE, the charger could ignit.
If possible, I think it’s better to use a reliable charger and cable with a large capacity.

60W connection port- about 20V 2A
The charger supported 20V 3.0A

30W connection port-- about 20V 1A

The charger supported 20V 1.5A, but it seems that 1.5A does not flow when connected to EVEV.
I think that a 30W charger will take twice as long to charge an EVEV as a 40W charger.

1 Like

When a USB-PD device is connected to a USB-PD charger, there is initially only 5V/3A, as this is the global USB standard. The USB-PD standard includes a communication protocol between the charger and the device being charged, where they determine between them what the device and charger can handle. The voltage is then adjusted to something that works for both ends.

Just because a charger supports up to 20V doesn’t mean it will always supply that, just as the current being drawn will be determined by how much power the device actually needs. The amperage displayed on the charger is merely the maximum current it can provide.

1 Like

So what is exactly the conclusion?
Will a 30w-PD charger bem safe and usable with the V? I thought so.
But i got confused with some answers.
Thanks you in advance

The pd comptible 30W charger can be used to charge EVE.
However, the charging time will be longer.
I recommend using the best cable for you use for charging.
This is even more so if you want to output HDMI.

2 Likes

How long does it take to charge your Eve V? I have the RavPower 45w USB C PD charger and it takes about 3 hrs to go from 7% to 100%. Maybe I’m using the wrong cable or wrong power setting. I thought a GaN charger would be at least 2x faster, but compared to the original charger, it’s about the same.

When charging while using EVE, it takes about 3 hours to charge from 7% to 100%.
When I’m not using EVE, I don’t know because I’ve never measured it.

The maximum charge rate of EVEV is 20V2A (40W).
The same goes for GaN chargers.
Also, not all power input to EVE can be charged.
Losing about 5-10% to convert from 20V to battery charging voltage.

The advantage of the GaN charger is that the size of the charger is small because the conversion efficiency from AC to DC is good.

1 Like