Challenge 1 - The Critic. Review tech & get a prototype!

NOW WE KNOW THE WINNERS WHO GET THE PROTOTYPE FOR TESTING!

We have a new Insider!

Original post below:

We said prototypes are coming. We also said that those will be sent to Eve Insiders for testing. Even beyond that, we stated that you can be an Eve Insider. If you’re not one already, you can become one. It is simple: Show your passion in one of the challenges.
it was all said in this thread here (click).

Challenge One will appear shortly. Stay tuned!

This was promised. And here it is.

In order to become a prototype tester, and possibly an Eve Insider, you simply are asked to:

WRITE A REVIEW OF ANY TECH-RELATED PRODUCT.

`
Simple rules:

-The review has to be written to this thread
-There is no maximum or minimum length
-We welcome fellows from all walks of life, all techies. So the product you review just has to be tech.
-Obey the community rules, otherwise do as you please
-Community members rate your review by giving it “likes” (click the heart icon)
-One submission by one member.
-The prototype is for testing purposes, not for keeps
-Eve Insiders will vote on adding the winner to Eve Insiders. Simple majority vote of yes/no.
-Any detected, dodgy shenanigans will result in a bad way
(+ Current Eve Insiders can participate, but there is no such thing as doubled-down Eve Insider :wink: )

Tips:

• Feel free to share your review on Reddit and other Social media to get more people liking it
  • Pictures are always welcome
  • It does not have to be a review of a product you own (you can also argue about headphone jack removal from iPhone 7:) )
  • Most importantly, have fun!

The Winner gets:

1. A prototype from development stage of the device to review and provide feedback
  2. To our hall of fame (we will put your post to our blog and social media channels)
  3. Chance to be an Eve Insider

The winner of this challenge - the best critic - will be chosen by the community. The user & her/his review with most likes by Wednesday 21.9.2016 16:00 EEST is THE ONE.

After that, THE ONE can start expecting the prototype to arrive for testing…

Remember: Eve Insiders are not tied to anything. Only privileged to extras due to their relentless support and passion.

Eve-News 12th September - 19th September

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

Ok, I have my review. I hope its not too long as I got carried away. :smile:

The Microsoft Surface Pro 4

The Surface Pro 4 is a hybrid device that bridges the portability of a tablet and the productivity of a laptop. Those who are in the market to buy a new computer have to ask themselves two questions what is it that I want to do and is this device for work or play?
Why does this decision even exist? A thousand dollars is about to be spent. Is the device not supposed to do everything? Usually two devices are bought, both a laptop and a tablet. What if there was a perfect device that could be both of these things? What if there was a device that exists which could have the power expected in a laptop combined with the portability of a tablet? The Surface Pro 4 is a device that bridges the laptop and tablet with no compromise.
The Surface Pro 4 is built like a tablet in many different ways. This tablet, like all good tablets, has an exceptional screen. The screen has a 12.3” diagonal with an aspect ratio of 3:2. It also has an amazing 267 pp pixel density. The high pixel ratio reduces eye strain and gives the user an ultimate viewing experience. The Surface has a built in frictional kickstand. This is to enable the tablet to be supported in any angle imaginable. This comes in handy whether one is watching a movie, or drawing, or typing a report. The Surface has two high quality loud speakers to complement the movie watching experience. This tablet also has all the battery life one would expect from a tablet with 9 hrs of video playback.
The Surface Pro is also built to satisfy the productivity demands of a laptop user. This Surface Pro comes with a top of the line i7 processor. Running at 3ghz, this computer will just clip along with an amazing speed. The Surface Pro also comes with up to 16 gb of ram to enable the system to continue to run smoothly when multi-tasking and running resource demanding programs. As this computer is running an Intel 64 bit chip, the computer will be able to run any legacy desktop programs, such as, Visual Studio, VMWare, Photo Shop, etc. To enable the Surface to function well as a tablet, the computer comes with up to 1TB of storage with an option to expand this via the micro SD slot. Each one of these specs enable the Surface Pro 4 to be 50% faster than Apples MacBook Air. To further enable the tablet to function like a laptop, the Surface Pro 3 has a keyboard cover that can snap into the base. This cover has full tactile keys which create a natural typing experience. The cover also has a glass trackpad that supports every gesture one would expect in a laptop.
Despite all these features, the surface pro is the thinnest Intel Core computer ever made. At only 9mm, the surface pro is even thinner than Apple’s MacBook Air. This computer is also lighter than Apple’s at 766g.
Now the reader might be wondering whether this device has any faults. Well the answer would be yes. No device made is perfect. The surface pro 4 does have very sharp edges. This is a big problem when using it as a tablet. After an hour use, one will often have indents in their hands. Another complaint would be the camera. Although the camera is ‘just fine’ for skype, it is not good enough to scan documents. This would have been really nice for a pro device. The next complaint I have is the pen. Not the pen itself though, where it is stored. It is always getting bumped of the side of the device. This is worrying as if the pen gets lost, it is $60 cad. to get it replaced. Finally, my biggest complaint. The heat. Although much improved from the previous version, the fan will still kick in when running a video, or anything that requires the cpu to exert itself. This is not necessarily a performance problem, but rather a large annoyance. A user should not have the fan continuingly blowing hot air out the sides while playing Asphalt 8.
In conclusion, despite its flaws, can this computer bridge the gap between both tablet and laptop, combining productivity with entertainment? It is up to the user to decide this, however, if there was a computer in the market that could do so, it would be the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

This is a Microsoft 950XL review.
The Microsoft Lumia 950XL is awesome!
Stop looking for videos!
Stop reading reviews!
##GET A 950XL
Then go read reviews :wink:
###DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING UNLESS YOU GOT ONE
I have all apps that I need.
Screen is WOW.
Camera is WOW.
Micro SD card is WOW.
Removable battery is WOW.
OS is WOW.
Quick charge is WOW.
Glance is WOW.
Battery holds for a day or six hours of continuing use on “Suggested” mode.
I have this smartphone for six months. People who know me wonder how I still have it because I get bored and switch often. What can I say? Let’s go bad.
The continuum (yes, I got that too) is obviously in it’s diapers. For office is kinda ok. What misses is the multiple windows or apps. When you write something, you need usually have different information sources and this open app, kill app simply annoys. But it’s fun because the potential is great. Edge browser on continuum is great. And TBH, that’s about it.

THE 950XL

Where to begin?
Hmmm…
THE SCREEN
Have you ever notice a girl or a boy and remained speechless? Not “drop your jaws” but truly mesmerized? Well, this is what happens when the screen turns on. The quality, the colors, the sharpness, the EVERYTHING about this screen is pitch perfect. The black is, imagine that, BLACK! You can’t tell where the display ends and bezel begins! And it has also the GLANCE and double tap to wake. I use it on my wireless charger stand on the nightstand as a clock. And Glance is an awesome thing to have to see an expected alert or a message or similar notification when on a meeting and when my phone is on silent mode. AWESOME :sunglasses:
THE POWER
It’s fast. Period.
And games?
Let’s just say, World of Tanks is a new game to me. All details on HIGH. No stutter man :wink:
THE CAMERA
I’m meticulous about the camera. The photos, either macro, portrait, normally taken one (in a rush for quick record) and panorama are without remarks. I even used it for a diagnosis on my brothers eye (if you are interested, I can post some samples of photos, including that eye photo :wink: ) at the doctors visit.
The video is looking like it was made on pro camera. The stabilisation is so good that it seems as if it’s made on a pro camera and it doesn’t tire you to look at all!
The video is crisp and full!
THE AUDIO
Well, I work in a shipyard where there are A LOT OF NOISES. And I have to lower down to 8 on a 1-10 scale.
The speaker phone is LOUD but tiny and I don’t care, I didn’t miss a call.
I got VE Monk headphones for music. This, along with the Micro SD card where my music is, is for an old audiophile like me, a dream come true. Since I can’t drag my home audio equipment on my back :joy:
I don’t even use the equalizer that this monster of a phone has. Ah yes, it has a normal headphone jack, nothing so inventive or groundbreaking like iPhone 7 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
THE BUILD
Well, plastic blah blah and so on…
No.
The build is spot on and perfect. Attention to detail is noticed. AND… It’s a big phone with 5,7" screen but I have it in my back pocket in my jeans without a problem. IT’S TOUGH. Period. Try to bend it :stuck_out_tongue:
WHAT ELSE?
GPS and Maps are spot on. People ask me to tell them where some address is because their Samsung or Apple show them a ditch or something in the middle of the sea… Weird… I still don’t understand why…
The apps are here. All of them. Facebook, Twitter and so on… Games, utilities and I don’t know what else… What I need, I have it. My wife too, she has Lumia 640. And just and simply TRUST ME, if my wife has no remarks, the store is FULL HEHEHE :joy:
What else to say about this remarkable phone?
Ah yes…
THE BATTERY
Well, you can trust me or not, but I’m writing this review on my 950XL. I manage 130+ people now at my work so I’m on the phone a lot. A FREAKING LOT! Plus my wife’s calls :sparkling_heart: hehehe And WhatsApp, and Facebook, and browsing, and videos and so on… The battery is on 37%… Let me see… No, 34% as I write this.
BUT
World of Tanks eats right through it :disappointed_relieved:
But the quick charge saves me LOL
I must say, the quick charge is a breakthrough! It’s simply a life saver. I thought of getting a second battery, since this phone has a removable one, to quickly change it, but I still haven’t!
Why?
Because the battery life is awesome.
Because it can be even longer by 60% if the battery saver option is on.
Because the quick charge gives me half a day in a 15 minute charge if I need that (battery saver ON).
So now what?
I was in a store today… Many smartphones there… I went in, started looking and saying MEH, MEH, MEH, MEH, MEH, MEH…
Went out to the DM where my wife was buying her a corrector? Rimmel? Mascara? Who the hell knows what, I was bored… And she was surprised to see me :blush:
"Already done?" She asked?
“MEH” I said, nothing interesting…
THEY HAVE TO LOOK EVERY PRODUCT THERE, DON’T THEY?
Just kidding, she is my life :heart_eyes::kissing_heart:
So, there we have it.
I have this 950XL for six months.
I have just ordered a new wireless charger stand.
I have just ordered a new brown leather MOZO case.
I have just ordered a screen protector.
Why?
I ain’t interested in the "innovative? iPhone 7.
I ain’t interested in a “revolutionary” Samsung 7 BOTH EDGE.
I ain’t interested in a “BOMBASTIC” Note 7 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I ain’t interested in LG, HTC, One+3 or Huawei or a bloody melon…
I simply ain’t interested.
Nothing excite me, nothing makes me "TICK"
Until some X86 enabled phone that can replace my PC is out, I don’t see the reasons to get a new phone.
The Microsoft Lumia 950XL is so good.
And Mozo?
Mozo has so many covers, I can have a “new” phone every month :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
There.
Correct me if I’m wrong about anything and please…
This is my first ever review and my wife will kill me.
I have been on my freaking bloody cursed so often phone for so long…
EVER SINCE I HAVE BOUGHT IT TO YOU!!!
She did surprised me :sparkling_heart:
I love her :heart_eyes:
Gotta go hug and kiss her now, she is my better half after all :wink:
No gadget can replace my love and life :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for reading and remember…

GET A 950XL

:sunglasses:

Here is my review of the Xperia X smartphone.

Enjoy

Just a few weeks ago I rather hesitantly went to meet with Sony, and there I was given the replacement to my trusty and long-suffering Xperia Z5 in the form of the Xperia X. Now to say I wasn’t thrilled with this exchange was an understatement as I was really quite smitten with my Z5. It had been on a journey with me: I had broken the screen twice and had used its stellar camera on many press trips. Admittedly the recent software update had made some major dents in its appeal, but I still really liked the phone. So the moment came, I handed over my loyal and trusted partner, and was given it’s smaller lower powered cousin (or so I thought).

Well, I have to say that I wasn’t initially blown away when I got the phone out of the box. All these negative feelings were to gradually disappear over the next few days as I got to use the phone, so what made me come around to the phone? Read on below and you will be able to see what converted me.

Design & Hardware

Before we get into the tour of the device, here is the unboxing video that I shot when I received the phone.

The phone does indeed carry a lot of traits from the past designs that Sony has been pushing out for a few years now. Sony really does seem to like the square utilitarian design, and that has not been changed massively, but there have been a few subtle tweaks which are worthy of mentions. Starting up front is the 1080p screen that measures in at 5" diagonally. It is more than sufficient in terms of PPI, with the count being 441 slightly higher than that of the Xperia Z Range. The big difference is that the screen’s brightness has been increased and it is also a lot more vibrant. Whilst it doesn’t measure up to that of the Super AMOLED offerings from Samsung, it is definitely serviceable. Above the screen, we find the usual array of sensors and one of the forward facing stereo speakers.

Nestled next to that we find the first big difference in the form of a 13mp camera with an Exmor RS sensor and F2.0 aperture wide. It is also a wide angle lens that is capable of 1080p video, up to ISO 6400, so I think it is safe to say very highly specced.

Next up is the second speaker which is mounted under the screen. The speakers are of a surprisingly good quality and deliver a clear reasonably balanced sound. They are not going to replace your hi-fi setup, but for podcasts and speakerphone calls they do the job well.
Another odd thing is that the NFC antenna is mounted up here as well, which is a bit awkward but the reasoning will become clear later.

Moving the sides, we have the sole flap on the left-hand side which houses the Nano sim card slot and Micro SD card capable of housing up to 2TB (not widely available yet). Apart from that, the rest of the side is bare.

On the bottom of the phone, we find a pinhole for one of the two microphones - the other one is found at the top. We also have the USB port which is sadly of the Micro USB type, not the newer USB Type C.

Up the right-hand side, we have a lot more going on with the camera shutter key, the volume rocker, and the power/fingerprint reader. This has been improved in my opinion from the Z5, as it seems to be much more responsive and faster. Now whether this is down to software or physical hardware improvements I cannot tell for certain, I just know it works quicker. I do like the location of this button as it fall under the thumb quite nicely, and it is a happy medium between the more common rear mounted sensor and the Apple favoured front mount. I can activate the sensor with the phone in pretty much any orientation which is really handy. I would recommend setting up a few fingers so that it can be triggered regardless of how you pick it up, though. The button itself does have a nice positive click when pressed as well if you decide not to use the fingerprint function.

Around the back is an improved back plate, largely in part due to the fact that it is metal as opposed to glass, which was prone to breaking on the previous Z range.

We also find the camera module is here, and in a new development we have got a camera bulge! This is something that I did not expect to ever see on a Sony as they are normally famed for their clean lines.

However moving on, this camera is pretty much the same sensor that was to be found in the Xperia Z5. It is a 23mp sensor featuring Exmor RS and an f2.0 aperture. It is also has a Wide Angle G lens and 1080p video support. One of the big things that it lacks is OIS, which Sony tries to make amends with by using their SteadyShot software, which is a poor substitute really. I will go into the camera later on in its own section,

That about wraps it up for the tour around the device. One of the final nice touches that are new with this design is that the edges of the phone are slightly rounded, and the use of 2.5d glass for the front panel means that there are no rough edges… unlike the Z5 which did have a distinct “edge” to it that could be uncomfortable after a while. The phone generally feels very well built and nestles nicely into the palm of your hand. It even allows for single-handed usage if that tickles your fancy.

What we are missing here is the much-vaunted water resistance of the past. This phone has no official IP rating, which is a big omission and it was a key USP for the previous models. Sony has taken the decision to remove this desirable feature as it was not something that the public was looking for. I would love to know who was surveyed, as everyone that I have spoken to about this can’t believe it is not there! Oh well, maybe they will add it back onto the next version.

Now would be a good time to look at the specs sheet.

Xperia X
Display 5” Full HD 1080p display, TRILUMINOS Display for mobile, X-Reality for mobile picture engine, Dynamic Contrast Enhancement
Main camera 23MP, 1/2.3’’ Exmor RS for mobile sensor, Predictive Hybrid AF, Quick launch, 5x Clear Image Zoom, 24mm Wide Angle G Lens F2.0, Low-light photography: up to ISO 12800, Full HD 1080p Video, SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode, Superior Auto Mode, Pulse LED Flash
Front camera 13MP, 1/3’’ Exmor RS for mobile sensor, Quick launch, 22mm Wide Angle Lens F2.0, Low-light scene recognition: up to ISO 6400, Full HD 1080p Video Recording, SteadyShot with Intelligent Active Mode, Superior Auto Mode
Battery 2620 mAh, Up to 2 days battery life, Sony STAMINA Mode, Quick Charge3, Qnovo Adaptive Charging
Audio Hi-Res Audio (LPCM, FLAC, ALAC, DSD), Digital Noise Cancelling, DSEE HX upscaling to hi-res
Connectivity aGPS, GLONASS, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, USB Micro B, Wi-Fi 11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Miracast
Entertainment Xperia Lounge Gold, Sony Media Apps, PlayMemories Online, Playstation app, PS4 Remote Play
Memory 3GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, microSD slot up to 200GB
Performance Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 Processor 64-bit capable,
SIM Nano-SIM
Other Fingerprint sensor on power button
Size and weight 143 x 69 x 7.7mm / 152g
Cellular Up 4G/LTE Cat 6
Software Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)

So we have got some reasonable specs here. Before you get disheartened by the fact that it is using a Snapdragon 6xx series chip - don’t be, as this is the newest and best of the 6xx series. In actuality, this performs on a very similar level to that of the Snapdragon 810 that we found in the Z5 beforehand. There are, of course, some difference,s but all of these can be summarised by one thing: longevity. The fact that the processor is a lower tier generation here is not a bad thing as it allows for the battery to be stretched out further. In fact, as I am writing this article I have been using my phone since about 6:30 this morning; it is now 21:25, and I am still sitting at 42% battery. I have only had the screen on for 2hr 39 mins of that time, but I have been using the phone for a lot of different things during the day. This is about my normal sort of experience of the device. All of this has been achieved without Sony’s Stamina mode being enabled either, which will allow me to stretch things out further if needed!

The phone is a really nice fit into that hand, partially due to the 2.5d glass and the subtle curve to the edges that I mentioned above. But these things are accentuated by the phone being a smidge thinner than the Z5 which allows for the realistic possibility of using the phone one handed. Not that this is something that I find myself doing a lot of, but it is nice to have the option if I want it.

Moving on from the look and feel, how does this thing actually perform in the real world?

Performance
I am not going to talk about the battery here as I have mentioned that above. However, I do want to dig into that Snapdragon 650 processor a little bit more. The chip is a Hexacore CPU with a max clock speed of 1.8ghz, and it also supports the Adreno 510 GPU. It is a 64-bit chip that will allow Android 6.01 to work at its best. The chip will support 4k, but this feature has been left out on the Sony and instead we have 120fps@30fps video which I still very useful for getting some very cool footage. It will only support USB 2.0 for connectivity, but does support Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0/3.0.

The 810 that was used in the Z5 does vary quite a bit, here are the key points that I have picked out for you, though. It is an Octocore chipset that will run at 2.0ghz and support the Adreno 430 GPU. Again, it is a 64-bit processor so will work fine with Android 6.0. It too can do all the same details with the camera and it can support a sensor size of 55mp. Here we do have support for USB 3.0 over the older 2.0 (which is still supported). It only has Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.o.

So that is a little bit more of an insight into the respective chips, but what does this actually mean to the man on the street apart from the previously mentioned battery life? Well, in essence, there is not a massive difference - at least not that I can necessarily place my finger on. In the areas that really matter to me, such as speed of opening apps and playback of media, it is on par with the Z5. As I have mentioned the camera start up from lock does seem to be quicker, as does the fingerprint unlock, and I am absolutely positive that the chipset will have some influence upon these areas. The gaming performance is about the same, as can be seen on Asphalt 8 (my de rigueur app for testing these days). Here is a video of the two side by side:

The one thing I would say is that the Xperia X screen does look a tad washed out in comparison to the Xperia Z5, especially on the recording above. This is one of the reasons I use the phone normally at about 50% brightness.
We can see that on both devices that the frame rates are very similar with minimal dropping, even when played as I have on high settings. These scores are also reflected on the benchmark test for both phones. Please see below for these.

Sunspider 1.0.2	Quadrant Antutu	Ice Storm Unlimited
Xperia X	779.7	        32269	  77450	          18297
Xperia Z5	653	        27508	  54792	          26474

So we can see from the numbers that although the chips are different numbers, the generational gap actually makes the numbering system largely redundant. I have to say that at no point have I found the Xperia X wanting with regard to its performance. That being said, I do wish that this was the X “Performance” that I was holding in my hands - but that is purely due to specs snobbery and not actual performance. Needless to say, the X Performance will be more powerful if we ever see it in the UK.

The one area where the Z5 is leaps and bounds above the X is anything that is demanding when it comes to graphics, as shown by the Ice Mark Unlimited test which is designed to push the phone’s graphics chips. So if you are keen on mobile gaming, then you may wish to look elsewhere.

Another area where the difference in chips does make a difference is the thermal aspects of the chips. I often found that my Z5 would warn me that the phone is getting hot, even when using relatively mundane apps such as the camera app. This is something that I have not seen at all in the use of the X, as the SD 650 runs a lot cooler than the 810 v2 used in the Z5. Another aspect that may be contributing to the cooling may well be the fact that we no longer have a glass rear panel, but instead have an aluminium one. We all know which one conducts heat better I hope!

Moving on from the performance to the camera, I was unable to do any side by side shots with the phones as I don’t have my Z5 anymore, but if you want to get an idea of how the Z5 photos look, then please check out my Z5 review http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2015/11/10/xperia-z5-xperia-z5-compact-comparison-review that I did at the end of last year.

Camera
The camera on the Xperia X is actually the same sensor that was used on the Z5 and as such, it has the same quality, however there are 2 big differences here. The first one is a biggie for those of us with little people (by this I mean kids, not Lannister dwarfs!). I know that I have been in the situation where I have wanted to take a picture of my son, and I haven’t been able to as he has been moving too quickly to capture the moment. Well, this is where Sony’s very clever Predictive Hybrid Auto Focus comes into play. Essentially what will happen is that when you try and focus on a moving subject, the Xperia X will then guess where that subject will be when the picture is taken. It is a setting that can be either on or off, and I do find it helps me when taking pictures of my son, so I am happy.
That happiness is, however, short-lived as if I then want to record his antics in glorious 4K, of course, I can do it, can’t I? Well no, as for some inexplicable reason Sony have removed 4K video from being available, even though it is supported by the Chipset! I can only put this down to thermal management and prolonging battery, but come on Sony, we know that 4K video will heat the phone up and drain the battery faster than an F1 car, but at least give us the option.

So those are really the big changes from the Z5, but there are still some things that have lingered from the Z5 as well and one of them is a big annoyance for me, which is the lack of any form of Optical Image Stabilisation, I know, I know, the Xperia X has SteadyShot so we’re good, right? Right? In a word, no, we are not good. SteadyShot will never allow you to get the same result as a correctly implemented OIS, and this is reflected in the relatively poor low-light performance of all the Sonys from the last few years. We want it in our phones please Sony, as if that happens we will have a true replacement for our compact cameras. Here are some samples of images from the rear camera.

There has been a lot of change on the front facing camera this time around. We have got a 13mp sensor which is capable of some fantastic shots if you are into Selfies, and it also works very nicely on wider angle shots too, due to the wide angle that can be taken advantage of. You will also find that Sony has implemented some skin effects to hide your blemishes and make you look younger which is nice! Here is a sample of the front facing camera against the Shanghai skyline.

Here are some screenshots of the Xperia X camera interface, which is now the same as that found on the Z5 after it received a camera software update.

You can now slide between the various modes on the left-hand menu, and then your main controls are still to be found on the right-hand side. It is a very simple camera layout and is easy to use. The setting menu will bring up some other options when clicked on (assuming the phone is unlocked).

Software Sony has taken a very similar approach to what they are doing with the software on the Xperia's of late, and this is reflected in the UI implementation of the Xperia X. A large amount of this came from the testing that was done on the Xperia Concept software trial that I was involved in back in last year. One thing that really stands out is how close this phone is to a Nexus in terms of software. Although you do get a different style of app drawer on the Xperia device, you can - like all the Nexus devices - uninstall the vast majority of preloaded third-party apps. There are a few preloaded apps that come on the phone and most of these are Sony’s proprietary solutions, such as Music instead of Play music, Videos and Album instead of the Google counterparts. You also get a trial of McAfee and Sony’s own Satnav solution, Wisepilot. These were one of the first things I uninstalled as I have no intention of ever using them. That being said it is nice to see them included if you want to use them. This is achieved by clicking on the three menus dots in the top right-hand corner of the Xperia X as on previous devices.

The one big improvement I have seen here over the Z5 is the reintroduction of Stamina Mode which I sorely missed, after the update to Android 6.0. It works in a slightly different manner to how it did before, as the phone also has Doze mode as a core part of the OS.

What Stamina will now do is allow to disable the battery-intensive aspects of the phone to help eek out a longer battery life. It will also turn background data off, which will result in syncing being stopped. It is a shame that you can no longer whitelist apps like you could on the previous version of this app. The good news is that in the time I have been using the device, I have not really needed to use the feature very much. In fact, the only time I turned it on was during my recent long haul flight to ensure that I had full connectivity when I got to the other end.

All the other nuances that you are used to from the previous Xperia devices are still here, and are still as good as ever. If you have used an Xperia device the past four years then you will be very familiar with the Xperia X, and instantly feel at home.

Summary and Conclusion
I am surprised at how happy I have been with the use of the Xperia X, and even though I thought I would miss some of the features from my Xperia Z5, the only thing I genuinely miss is the IP67 protection. It just means that I have to take a bit more care of the device that I would have done previously. It is by no means a deal-breaker.

I do wish that Sony would look at the implementation of a hardware based OIS solution, as this would bring the camera back up to speed with regard to other devices on the market. With that thought, when you are taking a picture in the optimum light conditions they are very good. I may have just been spoiled by the use of the various Lumia devices over the past few years!

The other elephant in the room is where exactly this fits into the Sony lineup. I don’t think that it can really be called a Flagship, as I expect that the Xperia X Performance was pencilled in for that task. So this is really, in my opinion, a high-end mid-range device that is very appealing. However, the price needs to reflect that, especially with devices like the recently launched OnePlus 3 now on the market. I have a suspicion that this is device is setting the base metric in place for the new Xperia X line and we will see more to come in the near future.
Well done Sony, now about the Xperia X Performance…

Excited by what Eve is doing for both moral and practical reasons.

This is a review of the 12.9" IPad Pro

To give a bit of context, I have been a Mac and Wacom user for the last 6 years and now need to update my equipment. I work as an Motion Designer / Animator / Illustrator so I generally need equipment with performance that exceeds what a typical user would find acceptable.

I tried the IPad Pro, Surface Pro 4, and the Surface book for a month each. I found all devices useful for specific tasks but each was lacking overall. The IPad Pro was, unfortunately, the most frustrating experience.

In short, the IPad pro is the latest in a series of devices from Apple that are branded as tools for getting work done, but are really just for playing Angry Birds and watching Netflix by yourself.

The 12.9" IPad Pro, when paired with the Apple Pencil, is truly an incredible piece of hardware! It has a beautiful display, a form factor and weight similar to regular pad of paper, and it has a great keyboard. The pencil feels perfect in your hand, draws with incredible detail and almost no latency (in certain applications). Apple does not provide specs on levels of pressure sensitivity but I found it to be just as, if not more, responsive then Wacom devices which provide 2048 levels of sensitivity. Overall a wonderful piece of equipment.

I personally found the IPad pro useful for sketching up thumbnails and putting together storyboards. It’s portability allowed me to work in entirely new environments, which led to great ideas I wouldn’t have come to in my usual workspace. I feel it is the ideal tool for getting an idea down in it’s crudest form. When using Adobe’s Illustrator Draw or Photoshop Sketch apps, I was able to throw my drawings on to my desktop for final layout with the push of a button. It was also useful in meetings for showing videos and images to clients.

Unfortunately, that’s it. You have 3-5 sketching applications for getting work done, some email and word processing options, and then a billion stupid games for you to waste your life away with. Apple created a magnificent piece of hardware, branded it as a Pro device, and then didn’t follow up with any Pro software options. It’s a big IPhone except you can’t call anyone on it (I guess there is skype).

There is a company that is trying to save the device called AstroPad. They created an app that allows you to use the IPad Pro as a pen display for your Mac, similar to how you would use a Wacom Cintiq. Unfortunaly, this hack feels like a hack. While promising, there is a good deal of latency and other little bugs. You’re better off just buying a Cintiq.

So in conclusion, if you are really into IOS gaming and watching TV shows by yourself, REJOICE! Your device has arrived. If you are looking for a mobile creative tool, sorry, IOS isn’t ready for the IPad Pro and it looks like it won’t be for some time.

HP Elite x2 - 1012 - The Microsoft Surface Pro4 killer

You have all seen reviews for the MS Surface Pro4 and seen the specs, but HP delivers a comparable product with great saving and “accessories included” not extra $$ after purchase.

Spec highlights include Windows 10 Pro, Intel 6th Gen Core m7 processors, Solid State hard drives, Corning Gorilla Glass over full 1080HD touchscreen displays, HPs Wacom Active pen (included), travel keyboard with trackpad (included), fold out stand (included) … MIL-STD-810G rated tough hardware. Those are standard with the device and starting price is the same as a Surface Pro4. Additional accessories include a WWAN port for integrated aircard, wireless and wires docking stations and many more.

Performance is great, battery life is outstanding and it fits every spec needed from both a tablet and laptop, but at a great price compared to the competition!

Because everyone else is reviewing a phone or a tablet I am going to review my Sony MDR-ZX330BT on-ear headphones.

Build quality

So the headphones are made of plastic entirely so they are not the most premium and they squeak a little when handling them. But because they are Made of plastic they are really light. In the almost year I have Been using this the mechanism to change the size of the headband has not loosened.

Comfort

It is really big help for these to be really light but still they get little uncomfortable in a longer period. First it starts to really hurt my head and a little after that I start to feel a pressure in my ears. The earcups are not the most comfortable but for a normal use they are plenty comfortable. At least these won’t pull my hair.

Controls and Bluetooth

Because these are Bluetooth headphones I am glad to tell you the Bluetooth connectivity and range is really good. If you always carry your phone or any else music device there will be no problems and even if you leave your phone to charge you can go to different room and you will have no problems. Maybe after 10 meters and 3 walls the connection starts to fail. And it is really nice to see NFC in board as well.
It has the normal controls of a Bluetooth headphones including volume rocker power button and track changer with pause/play or answer call button (which is slider type). Otherwise the buttons are good but I still have little bit of a trouble finding the power button and - volume button because they are so flat and have no dimple like the +volume button has.

Phone calls

Because these have a mic built in you can take phone calls with these. It is great for that when it works. I guess it is just my phone with Android N beta that fails the phone calls and I or the caller won’t hear each other. Otherwise the sound is clear on both ends.

Battery life

With these Sony focused clearly on battery life. They say you can get 30 hours out of them. I havent done a test but with my hour of use per day I get pretty much a month out of them and that would be 30 hours total. All I can say is the battery life must be the best part of these! You charge them via micro USB and I usually charge them over night so I can’t tell you more on the charging time.

Sound quality

After all these are headphones and you want good quality out of them. I am happy to report that the sound quality and stereo seperation is pretty great. The sound though is little bit on the flatter side but I do not mind that. When you turn the volume up you get the bass nicely. Sony has not emphasized any of the frequencies and the outcome of that is well balanced sound.

These are great Bluetooth headphones to begin with if you haven’t tested the miracle of no wires they cost around 100€ on sonys site but you can get them for 70€. For that price they offer really great quality overall!

Surface Pro 4 killer eh? We should do a device competition to really see this!!! :wink:

HP Elitebook 820 G1

Specs as Reviewed
• i5-4300u
• HD 4400 GPU
• 8 Gb RAM
• 500 Gb 7200 rpm HDD
• 12.5 in 1366 x 798 screen
• Intel 7260 2x2 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless

Build and Appearance:
While the 820 is not the smallest or lightest laptop in its class it is still very light and portable, coming in at 1.43 kg and 21 mm thick. The slight increase in weight and bulk is reward with a good range of ports, more below and a very solid and robust build, with the laptop surviving months of being thrown in and out of bags and general average treatment with only minor cosmetic damage.
The 820 is very aesthetically pleasing, with a simple, but allegiant matte black and magnesium finish. The only drawback being the fact the top is a fingerprint magnet.

Screen:
Although the screen is nothing amazing at only HD quality it is more than ample given the small screen size resulting in a pixels per inch close to that of an FHD screen in a 15 in laptop, 125 dpi vs 141 dpi.
In general the screen performs well, with clear images and colours it does struggle under direct sunlight.

Port selection:
On the whole the 820 a good selection of ports, with 3 USB 3.0, RJ-45 Ethernet connection, SD card reader, headphone/inline all in one aux jack, smart card reader and dock port of the addition of further ports. The one weakness is the interesting selection of video outputs, while it does have a VGA port, so should be able to be used with most systems rather than going for HDMI or mini display port as is present on most laptops HP decided to go with a full size display port.

Wireless:
By default the 820 comes with an Intel 7260 2x2 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless card. This is more than enough to allow for an efficient and painless wireless connection, with ample speed. And should the user decide this is not significant enough for their requirements upgrade is a breeze, see below. In addition there is the option of the addition of a WLAN card, via a free M.2 slot, allowing for truly mobile internet connection.

Storage:
While the 820 only comes with a very stand HDD this has more than enough storage space of day to day running and is fast enough to be a issue with every day performance. However if more, or faster, storage is required replacing the HDD is relatively simple, see below, and there is a free M.2 slot for the addition on M.2 sata drives.

Performance:
The decision to go with the i5-4300u over the more common i5-4200u is a nice touch, with a 300 MHz increase in the base and turbo processor speeds and a 100 MHz increase in the GPU speed being greatly appreciated. And while it would never effect most users the additional hardware level security and other support is good to have if need.
While this computer will not be setting any records of performance anytime soon overall it offers more than enough power to carry out everyday tasks with easy and even has enough power to handle some light gaming. This is helped by the ability to dedicate up to 512 Mb of the RAM to the GPU.

Keyboard and Trackpad:
The keyboard is very good, with a strong, crisp response from the keys, even after months of abuses, and a decent travel distance, given the size of the device. Also despite the small foot print of the device the keys are still relatively late and well-spaced, making easy typing. And while the trackpad is smooth and responsive to use it is noticeable small, but that is not overly surprising given the size of the device.

Temperatures:
Despite its small frame and footprint the 820 handles cooling extremely well, with even after high load for extended periods of time, gaming for multiple hours, the CPU temperature does not increase out of the 60-70°C range with the HDD and motherboard both below 40°C. The fan is able to cool the CPU back down to 40°C, the fan cut off temperature, within 5 minutes.

Accessibility:
Unlike most modern laptop HP as decided against sealing the owner out of the 820, with the removal of a signal screw required to open up the back. This allows access to a removable battery, the primary HDD, a second RAM slot and the aforementioned M.2 slots for the M.2 SSD and WLAN. The major failing of the design in terms of accessibility is the fact the sim card slot for the WLAN is hidden under the battery, making changing sim cards a bit of pain.

Conclusion:
Overall the HP Elitebook 820 G1 is a sturdy and portable small device, ideal or day to day computing on the go, while still having enough power to tackle just about any task handed to it and the cooling to allow full use of this power. The 820 also benefits from easy upgradeability, allowing for the addition of more storage or an increase in overall speed if required or to extend the live time of the device.

This is a review of Acer Iconia W700, my first and only Windows tablet :slight_smile: I tried not to get too in-depth, so maybe I missed some things, but somehow it still got super long. I hope at least one person reads it in its entirety :joy:

I had promised to review it way earlier, but unfortunately I didn’t find time for it and it remained in the planning stage. Now I couldn’t find my notes, so I decided to write it from scratch. Turned out so-so :wink:

1. Design & Build Quality

This tablet is one of the first Intel tablets running Windows 8. It was released pretty much at the same time as the OS, so one shouldn’t expect a very streamlined design from this early fruit. However, it’s pleasantly surprising. It has no kickstand, as that one was Surface-exclusive back then (Surface Pro wasn’t even released!), nothing fancy, but overall it’s a well thought-out design. Except some terrible decisions, of course.

Aesthetic design doesn’t interest me much, but I can tell you what I liked about it: aluminium. It looks beautiful, and the metallic paint on textured surface makes scratches almost invisible (underneath is almost the same color as the paint), which is awesome. I also loved the metal bar below the screen, housing the Windows button. It nicely connects the front to the back. I don’t like when the whole back of a device is in one color and the front is in another one (mostly black). In that case, the design feels “fragmented” to me.

Which brings us to my beloved feature: buttons. It has a physical rotation lock switch, a physical Windows button… what else can one want? I love that I can keep my finger of the hand I’m holding the tablet with on the Windows button and press it whenever I want, saving my other hand from moving to a corner or an edge of the screen. It’s also easy to develop muscle memory with it. A capacitive button would not work as well as a physical one, because it would always be pressed when a finger is resting on it. Speaking of rotation lock, I hate when I forget to enable it. Sometimes I want to carry the device to a different place, and I hold it like a briefcase. Or under my arm. I don’t want it to change the screen orientation and then have to shake it to get it back to normal :slight_smile: So whenever I want to rotate it, I just double-click the rotation lock button. Turns out, it’s even more responsive than keeping that lock disabled. It quickly switches the orientation and then goes back to locked state. I don’t know why, but I find myself shaking the device much less frequently when using this method.

Speaking of build quality: the full aluminium body looks quite thick and gave me the impression that I could pretty much use it to stop a train (no idea how that would work mechanically, but I’d figure out) and it would be undamaged. I haven’t disassembled it, but from online pics and the sturdiness, the metal sheets should be around 1mm thick. And speaking of sturdiness, I honestly couldn’t make a difference between this tablet and a solid piece of metal. It’s that strong. The weakest place is, of course, the “Gorilla Glass 2” screen. However, I have successfully dropped it on concrete floor from over a meter height, and guess what – not a scratch on the screen. I got away with only a small dent in the corner of the aluminium shell. Now, some people would say that it’s a bad thing. I got a dent. It doesn’t look nice, I admit. But in fact, I’m extremely happy with it, because I know that the design did its job of protecting the screen very well. Getting a dent there, in such a strong material, and not the screen, means that it has a perfectly durable design, which transfers all the crushing force to the body rather than the screen. Trust me, even if you don’t want a dent in the body, you would appreciate it over a shattered screen :slight_smile:

However, just like pretty much every device nowadays, this one has some quite terrible decisions made. First of all, the ports. I understand that maybe they couldn’t fit a full-size HDMI port in there, and I’m happy with the micro, but only one USB port? No, that’s unforgivable. Also, whoever decided to make the Windows button emit a “click” before it’s actually triggered should be fired. I should note that other buttons work fine, though.

Another quite serious problem is with the drivers. First is the WiFi that goes crazy as soon as the signal bars go below 4/5. In Windows 8, it starts saying “Limited” instead of “Connected”, in Windows 8.1 it just disconnects, in Windows 10 it doesn’t show any errors whatsoever but sites refuse to load. Maybe the antenna is weak, maybe it’s a design flaw, but either case, one connection bar should depict the strength that is just enough to have a stable connection, and 5 bars should depict a perfect connection. In case of the W700, 4 bars depict something that barely works, and 5 bars depict absolutely perfect connection. And where’s everything in between? Either 4 or 5 bars, completely randomly. Then there is the ghosting problem. After leaving a static image for 5 minutes and then changing to something else, you can see a “ghost” of the old image. So for example, after a 30 minutes browsing session, you will see all your browser tabs rather clearly, even when the window is minimized. Sometimes after a couple of hours it becomes so clear that it’s hard to read what’s on the screen. Oh well, at least it only appears around the edges. You might be wondering why I called this a driver problem – mysteriously, people have reported that there is no ghosting with Linux-based operating systems running on the tablet. I haven’t used Linux for extended time periods on it, but from my short usage, indeed I haven’t noticed any ghosting. And last but not least, you definitely don’t want to format the SSD with MBR partition table. If Windows is installed on MBR, the screen will be split in half, mirroring the top half of it, after waking up from sleep. A restart fixes that. And weirdly enough, Intel never cared enough to fix this driver bug over the years.

2. Performance and usability

After the amazing first impression, this one throws the impressions back to ground. I could have never imagined an Intel Core CPU to be so slow. I literally have no idea why they put a previous generation CPU in there. Most models of this tablet came with 3rd gen i3 or i5, but this one was with 2nd gen i3. Clocked at 1.4GHz with no turbo boost, it seems impossibly slow. It starts lagging even when doing the simplest of tasks, like web browsing. Javascript lags almost as much as on my phone, which is terrible because we all know that Android browsers just can’t deal with JS properly and because my phone cost $200 compared to almost $1000 for this tablet. In the Acer Iconia W700 world, everything lags. I’ve looked up some benchmarks, and the CPU equates to a Celeron of the same year:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-2365M-vs-Intel-Celeron-887/m2519vsm24

I would normally assume that they couldn’t put in anything better because of thermal limitations, but then look, the other model has an i5-3337U and it works just fine. Ok, maybe it’s my fault that I bought the low end model, but I had no choice, because at the time of buying, it was the only one available.

Being limited to 4GB of RAM and 64GB (!!!) of storage doesn’t help either. In fact, when I tried using the tablet as a laptop, I had a quite long fight with that storage space, which always appears to have only 1GB free, and eventually dropped the towel and decided to keep it as a mere media consumption device. It’s a shame, since I expected so much more from a $1000 Windows device than I could do with a $200 Android tablet.

3. Accessories

And this is where all the bulls&$% starts. Everywhere I went, the tablet was depicted with a dock and a wireless keyboard. Or at least with the dock. It was advertised as a desktop replacement (funny with the specs though) and was supposed to work as a convertible. The dock would act as a kickstand for both portrait and landscape modes, as well as a port hub providing extra USB ports, pass-through for charging and a LAN port. Now for some reason, they decided to skimp on the dock on this one model without warning. Nowhere in the description did I see “accessories not included”. And the picture in the description was indeed with the dock. Can’t say it was with the keyboard, because I don’t remember that, but I know for sure it was with the dock. One might say, it’s just an accessory, right? But here’s two problems:

1. It was advertised as a desktop replacement. How can it replace a desktop with just one USB port and no keyboard? Sure you can grab a USB keyboard. But then there is no way to plug in a mouse, because the single port is occupied. The dock increases the number of USB ports, acts as a stable stand for the tablet, and the wireless keyboard is usually given together with it.
  2. If you want to buy a dock, you can only do so from the official Acer store, which only works in a handful of countries. But that’s not all – most of the Acer stores don’t even sell the dock, and they never did. I’ve done some research since I wanted to get the dock, and found it in only one place: acer.co.uk. And guess what, they don’t ship anywhere except the UK. Good job Acer, you just screwed up with your marketing. First you sell only a half of what’s advertised, and then you don’t even give me a way to buy the second half!

This is pretty much the most infuriating thing about the tablet.

What they did include, apparently meant as a replacement for the dock, is a cheap synthetic leather stand/case. Now, this one is the most horrible accessory I’ve ever had.

• At first it’s hard to put it on the tablet. As you can see in the picture, you need to squeeze the corners of the tablet into the 4 clips. But then, after using it for a while, these clips begin to loosen up and the tablet barely stays in the case without falling out of it.
  • Don’t ever take this luxurious accessory out of your drawer. It’s too luxurious to see the outside world. No, seriously, it’s so bad that the edges start melting when they get a tiny bit of sunrays.
  • Which brings us to another problem: the tablet has a 17W CPU and it’s natural that it gets warm. This stand starts melting from that, too. Not all of it, just the edges. But as the edges melt or fall off (they do it pretty easily), they reveal that the brown color that you see all across the case is just a thin coating. Underneath is a sheet of plastic. And when those edges are gone, this coating starts to peel off very easily. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, the whole coating is mostly held in place by the edges, which in turn tend to melt in warmth.
  • Speaking of plastic, it’s not the best material for thermal dissipation. So when you have this case on, your tablet will become hot as never before. Ironically enough, that just accelerates the decay of the case.

4. Screen

Well, this is going to be a short one. If you somehow manage to get rid of the ghosting, the screen is pretty much the best of what you could expect in 2012. It has FullHD, which is still a rare find in devices under $1000 (and remember that 4 years have already passed), the colors are good to my eye (but I warn you, I don’t see the difference between ‘meh’ screen and ‘perfect’ screen, I only see the difference between a ‘bad’ screen and a ‘meh’ screen), viewing angles are pretty much infinite. Reflections is a big problem, but not as bad as on my phone (Asus Zenfone 2(e)). Overall, it’s a good one. I also like the 16:9 aspect ratio because I multitask a lot and the wider the screen, the more easily you can fit 2 windows side by side.

5. Audio

I think this one deserves a separate section. Because quite literally, it has one of the best speakers I’ve heard in a laptop. And that’s not a typo. Not only it’s awesome for a tablet, it competes and beats most laptops. They’re branded as “Dolby Home Cinema professionally tuned for Acer”, but that Dolby thing is just software. However, what’s important here is the audio quality. It fills an average room pretty easily, and sounds fine to my ear. Please note that just about every laptop I’ve heard so far sounded absolutely terrible to me. On this one, I could almost listen to music. When standing nearby, it has bass and everything you need. The only downside is that when you go away, the bass doesn’t reach you. The speakers are just too small to fill a whole room with bassy sound, so if you want bass, you’ll have to stay near the tablet. Another point on the speakers is volume. And this is where the tablet shines. I did a test: turned on a range hood at full power, stood right next to it, and put the tablet playing a review video 3 meters away, at full volume. Surprisingly, I could pretty easily make out the words in that review video. This is very good for a laptop, and amazing for a tablet. I used to watch movies with it, hooked to my TV through VGA, using the built-in speakers. It was enough, or barely enough, depending on how the movie’s audio was mastered (some are louder than others). When using the tablet as a laptop, on a desk right in front of me, I rarely felt the need to turn the volume up past 50%. Even with some background noise.

6. Serviceability

But is this tablet serviceable? That is quite hard to answer, because it disassembles quite easily but you can’t really replace anything because everything is soldered onto the motherboard. However, it still has a big advantage of being easy to repair, even if you need to replace the whole motherboard. For example, if I broke it now, I could buy a motherboard for around $150 and replace it myself. It’s so cheap because it’s an outdated model. In fact, I would most probably take a motherboard with better CPU if I had to replace it.

So, to get inside the tablet, you remove the plastic strip (antenna cover) that’s on the back of the tablet. It’s just some plastic clips (which sometimes break off too easily) and some double-sided adhesive tape. No need for special tools, you can just start from a corner with a needle and then continue with a small flat screwdriver. Then you can see about 4 screws, which can also be removed with a simple screwdriver. And when those screws are out, the screen can be gently pushed out through the hole. Again, a screwdriver. After this step, just disconnect some cables and you’re in. You have access to the motherboard, battery, whatever you want. As easy as it sounds, you successfully opened a tablet with two household items: a needle and a screwdriver. That’s quite awesome.

Now the bitter part. The only thing that’s not soldered onto the motherboard is the SSD. And of course the battery. But if you want to remove the SSD, it’s a bit tricky, because it’s under the motherboard, so the whole motherboard has to be removed, and that means tons of screws and some more cables to disconnect. But if some other component died, then you need to replace the whole motherboard, or take out your soldering tools and hope that you won’t break anything else.

7. Battery life

The description says 8 hours, but in real life you’re lucky to get 6 hours. After a couple of years of usage, it got reduced to just 3 hours and a little bit more. That’s why I want the Pyramid Flipper to have 10h battery life (compared to 6h on Acer Iconia W700) – even if I don’t need that much, I know that it goes down over time. So it will be nice to have a 2-3 years old device that still holds up 5h of charge.

Bonus. Firmware

Well, this does not deserve its own 8th section, but it’s worth mentioning. If you want to boot from an external drive that’s formatted in MBR partition scheme, you have to go into the UEFI settings and change it to BIOS boot mode manually. Simply keeping USB as the 1st boot option and internal SSD as the 2nd isn’t enough – if you want to boot from USB (MBR), you have to go to UEFI and change that setting. If you remove that USB and want to boot normally, then again, you have to go to UEFI and change that back. Quite annoying when you want to dual-boot and the internal drive doesn’t give you enough space for two partitions. Or you can format the USB drive as GPT, but then it won’t work with older computers.

TL;DR:
Pros:

• Aluminium
  • Audio
  • Full, desktop version of Windows
  • Physical buttons for everything you need
  • Easy to take apart

Cons:

• Battery life
  • Specifications
  • Misleading description (accessories)
  • Accessories only available in select countries
  • “Dumb” firmware
  • Everything soldered onto the motherboard
  • WiFi problems

Edit: just wanted to note that pretty much all of the cons I named either apply only to the one model that I have, or can be easily fixed by software updates. Overall, the W700 is a very solid piece of hardware definitely worth owning. At the time of buying it, there were no suitable alternatives for it. It was the best of the best.

I want to admit here and publicly :grin:
I appreciate and I’m humble before You all, thanking for the likes on my review :pensive:
I can’t express well on how much this means to me :slight_smile:
And my ego has grown too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And I thank my wife as well!
She has just read it.
Then looked at me with her poker face and said:
###"YOU IDIOT!"
Then she got up,
gave me a hug and a
loooong kiss :couplekiss_man_woman:
Thanks again :blush::kissing_heart::sparkling_heart:

There are awesome reviews going up here guys and girls.:grin:

Hey Garry :smiley:
Your review looks totally professional!!!
Then I have learned, YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL LOL
No wonder it is top notch :smiley:
Can You make us a favor please?
As a professional, could You review the reviews, say what is wrong, what could be better and so on?
If anyone knows, You do :wink:
P. S.
I like Yours and Pauliunas the most :innocent:
Thank You in advance for either way, I’m honored to be on the same page with You :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong, but right now it’s more about popularity, in some way, than merit - and while I most probably will take part in this, I’m afraid that contest like that too often slide into “I like him, lol” territory to mean anything. How often do you see a review with variety of emoticons, GIANT LETTERS, multiple exclamation marks…?

“Stop reading reviews!”

…aaand done.

Next time, maybe we could use more guidelines, what is this supposed to be and what is not. : )

Tbh I liked Ervin’s review the most precisely because it was different :wink:

Well, you don’t like it - just don’t vote for it :slight_smile: there are others who like the review, and there is a very good reason for it - it’s different. And it’s the same reason why people like Eve :slight_smile:

BTW, 3 people with less than 10 total posts on this forum got 6 upvotes each. I don’t think their popularity had anything to do with that :slight_smile: If we exclude Ervin who’s already an Insider, 3 of the 4 most upvoted posts were made from new or previously inactive accounts…

I’m sorry if you feel that way :pensive:
I like my review.
It’s different yes, but that was my intention.
I didn’t want to write another “typical” review of a product that already has tens and tens of reviews…
And again, this is “my” review of “my” feelings and experiences with that product.
Emoticons, giant letters, multiple exclamation marks are used to express those feelings…
But, I am willing to give up the prototype reward to the second best if that will satisfy you and everyone else :slight_smile:
I know for a fact, Pauliunas would be satisfied :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink::kissing_heart:
Cheers :beers: Vithren :slight_smile:
EDIT
"Stop reading reviews" that pointed to the 950XL.
Other 950XL reviews.

Sounds like a good idea!

Why? It would be weird if everyone would agree about everything. Single minded mob is the worst thing we can offer the world : )

Not really. Apart from changing the rules on the fly, whatever they would be, it would be not fair to all people that agree with your review. If you’ll win, I’m sure you’ll help EVE the best you can.

Whilst I see the argument for this potentially becoming a popularity contest. I also think that it is a great way for people to showcase their enthusiasm for tech.

I do write reviews and I do it purely out of the love of tech. I don’t do it for the money or the fame. As someone who has been blogging about tech for a while it is really refreshing to see the passion displayed by those who have taken the time to submit a review. I hope to continue to see this positive theme continue on this thread and the overall love of tech.

If you are new to reviewing stuff then remember it is not the nessecerily the content that makes the difference, it is the passion you display for the product that will make your review rise above the rest.

Remember the one big ethos of the whole Eve community is that we all want the Eve Computer to be special and that can only be done by us inputting our own passion for it.

Enjoy the process guys and may the best one reap the rewards!!