Category restructuring

community
forum
official

The forum category restructuring is just about done, and we only a ran into one minor hiccup that was easily solved.

Meet your new forum category structure: (click for full view)

A lot of this should look very familiar, and I don’t think most categories require an introduction. They all have one, though, so you should be able to find a description for each category and subcategory. No more wondering where to post your new thread!

Some categories are not yet at their full potential: Development and Archive. Especially the latter category may seem redundant – this should change in the future. To give you an idea of what these categories might look like in a few months, I’ve made some mock-ups.

The Development category is currently home to the V. But what happens when the V is done, and a finished product? Why, we develop something new, of course! (click for full view)

There is a lot of information on V development that is amazing to read through, and that gives a good view of the history of all of us. Of Eve, the community, and the V. We don’t want to throw this all away, but at the same time it is a lot of outdated bulk that clogs up things like search results. We, the experienced Creators, know what this is all about. We understand that specs and features have changed over the past year, and that a lot of things discussed were later discarded in favour of other solutions. So we put all of these old threads away in a pretty box, and when new community members have some experience under their belt, and know what to expect… they get to rummage through the box, too! (click for full view)

Now, I did mention that it’s ‘just about done’. There’s still some cleaning up to do with threads that at some point fell through the cracks of our subcategories. That’s not so much a restructure thing, as something I’ve wanted to do for a while. What has happened with the restructure, is that those cracks should now be closed, so we won’t be taking a broom to the desert.

The last thing that isn’t quite final, is the category colour palette. For now, I’ve run with what Discourse offers by default. I plan to apply the ‘official’ Eve company colours, but those are ‘various shades of charcoal, off-white and red’. Doesn’t lend itself well for differentiating between six categories. But I’m sure we’ll work something out eventually.

For now, the forums are tidied up, clarified, and ready for the era after the launch of the V!

[details=Original announcement:]Hi everyone! Helios here with a little heads-up.

Over the coming days, the category structure of eve.community will be changed around a bit. Some categories and subcategories will be merged, renamed or moved. It is important to note that no posts or threads will be deleted, and if you use the forums’ Latest view (which is the default) you probably won’t notice much of the changes.

Right now, most of eve.community is built around creating the V. The main goal of the restructure, is to prepare the community for the time after V’s launch: The new structure was designed to facilitate future crowd development, continued discussion of the V, product support, easy to find official announcements and easier forum management and moderation.

This is something the community management team has been working on for some time. We’ve chosen to implement the changes now as the upcoming product launch and Computex exposure will no doubt bring a lot of new eyes to the forums, and we’d like to have things in order for our new guests!

It’s nothing ground-breaking – in fact, I think a lot of people wouldn’t even notice if I hadn’t mentioned it. But it is a change and so I figured you guys should know in advance, that way no-one should be left wondering where a category has gone.

Things should be sorted in a few days, and we’ll keep you updated when everything’s done![/details]

Community Digest 20.05

I’ve changed to the dark theme…Love it!

Looking forward to it (and to new product categories :heart_eyes:)

Me too! (20 characters)

Guys, what does the dark theme have to do with this thread? Please stay on topic :slight_smile: (and yes, I know I’m often not a good example of that :smile: )

updated the original post with the following:

The forum category restructuring is just about done, and we only a ran into one minor hiccup that was easily solved.

Meet your new forum category structure: (click for full view)

A lot of this should look very familiar, and I don’t think most categories require an introduction. They all have one, though, so you should be able to find a description for each category and subcategory. No more wondering where to post your new thread!

Some categories are not yet at their full potential: Development and Archive. Especially the latter category may seem redundant – this should change in the future. To give you an idea of what these categories might look like in a few months, I’ve made some mock-ups.

The Development category is currently home to the V. But what happens when the V is done, and a finished product? Why, we develop something new, of course! (click for full view)

There is a lot of information on V development that is amazing to read through, and that gives a good view of the history of all of us. Of Eve, the community, and the V. We don’t want to throw this all away, but at the same time it is a lot of outdated bulk that clogs up things like search results. We, the experienced Creators, know what this is all about. We understand that specs and features have changed over the past year, and that a lot of things discussed were later discarded in favour of other solutions. So we put all of these old threads away in a pretty box, and when new community members have some experience under their belt, and know what to expect… they get to rummage through the box, too! (click for full view)

Now, I did mention that it’s ‘just about done’. There’s still some cleaning up to do with threads that at some point fell through the cracks of our subcategories. That’s not so much a restructure thing, as something I’ve wanted to do for a while. What has happened with the restructure, is that those cracks should now be closed, so we won’t be taking a broom to the desert.

The last thing that isn’t quite final, is the category colour palette. For now, I’ve run with what Discourse offers by default. I plan to apply the ‘official’ Eve company colours, but those are ‘various shades of charcoal, off-white and red’. Doesn’t lend itself well for differentiating between six categories. But I’m sure we’ll work something out eventually.

For now, the forums are tidied up, clarified, and ready for the era after the launch of the V!

Maybe pin this globally (or in the community digest) so people get to know the changes :wink:

It’ll be in this weekend’s CD, of course!
As for long-term visibility, these descriptions are now actually tied to each of the categories, so you will be able to see them if you go into category view, of even if you mouse over the categories in the hamburger menu!

Nice job with all this - I it must have been a big undertaking!