Can you set V to be a secondary display?

Hey guys,

What I mean by this question is can you connect a V to another laptop as a display alone? USB-C to HDMI possibly? How would you set it up as far as software goes?

Thanks for your help, I might just be ignorant about a feature which is widely used. Please forgive me if I am :slight_smile:

There’s a software called Air Display that does this, and possibly some others. Thunderbolt technically has this capability also, but it isn’t supported in the V. As far as I know Macs are the only computers that do this natively (on a hardware level).

@Jamil_Stafford The last I knew, target display mode on Macs had been discontinued a few generations back (unless you are referring to something else).

More generally, there is support built into Windows 10 to use a PC as a wireless display. You can configure/turn on the feature in the Windows 10 settings app (settings -> system -> projecting to this PC). How well this performs varies a bit depending on the computer that is casting to the V (and my own wireless card isn’t great for it, so I can’t speak to how well it works overall).

As far as Eve supporting it, it has been discussed a few times in the community (for example) and was stated to not be something they were going for at this time.

It’s still supported, but some of the later iMacs did not have this capability. It hasn’t been “discontinued”, per se. Thunderbolt supports this, so technically any computer with full TB has the capability for target display mode, but to my knowledge only Apple has done it.

As far as I know (and there may be a way around this) you can only project your display to another computer, not extend.

I really wish Eve had implemented this, hopefully they’ll do it in the next computer.

Not supporting it on a driver/functional level for what I believe is three generations of iMacs now I would say qualifies as discontinued. It used to be a selling point and feature that is no longer present on the new machines (including the Thunderbolt 3 compatible models). I’m not doubting that the standard allows for it, but Apple is seemingly not supporting that particular usecase on newer hardware.

Edit: I will agree though, Apple is the only company I specifically know of to have used that part of Thunderbolt 2 (and was basically the only computer manufacturer to really use TB2).

snip_20180225234550

Just tweak projection mode and it works fine, just like any monitor (but as I said, with varying levels of performance based on various factors).