Can someone convince me to not return the V and buy the yoga 920

No ghost touches, build quality is excellent

I’m glad you have not had these issues - plenty of others have not been so fortunate. Per Eve’s livestream summary here there have been multiple issues with kickstand, ghost touches, battery drain, loose usb ports, speaker quality.

Of course, the 3% is a made-up number and is not related to any facts

3% is Eve’s own figure:
https://eve.community/t/improvements-at-eves-customer-service/13357

I’m not sure how 3% over 1 month is any worse than 3% over 12 months

3% in only one month is the only measurement we have so far. It’s reasonable to expect that number to increase over the course of a year.

Please don’t assume that your opinion is the opinion of all V users. I would certainly not describe the device as “mediocre”.

I believe I clearly articulated that I was describing my own experience, and don’t believe I claimed to speak for all V users. You may want to consider applying your own standards to yourself, and don’t assume that your (positive) opinion is the opinion of all V users.

from your link:
<<We are happy to say that our internal numbers show that only 3% of V Hyper Early / Limited Bird recipients (from around 1500 Vs delivered so far) are experiencing any issues.>>

so this makes 45 devices out of ~1500.
Now everybody can decide what s/he thinks of it :slight_smile:

In many cases of software bugs on the Surface, there wasn’t anything Microsoft could do either to immediately fix the issue besides maybe sending a new device or offering a refund. Wait, that’s exactly what Eve is offering as well. I just don’t think it’s fair to hold a crew of guys that can fit into a small room and who just started out and who have never dealt with a shipment of thousands of devices before to the same standards of speed as a multi billion dollar company with decades of experience under its belt. I believe that Eve will get there eventually, and maybe even pass up the big guys, that’s the dream we all have for Eve anyways. And you of all people Lukas have been around here long enough that you should understand this all by now.

EXACTLY!!!

Well said.

Just because those first Surface problems I have a long time been thinking that my surface pro 3 was an rather expensive misfortune.
Ghost clicking and many “what does this idiot thing now” moments.
It was as well Windows as hardware driver related.

I replaced last year the totally run-out and stained keyboard by a Brydge bluetooth one, had the screen re-calibrated by a Sony app and have now a problem free working S-pro 3.
Having no sources to buy something else makes one more patient by force though :upside_down_face:.

Just “small” difference - refund was instant (about 2 days to get money back to credit card) and not limited for 14 days … replacement was fast - same day if you have MS Store nearby or 1-3 days …

Hey darraghlong,

While I can appreciate your situation I wanted to just bring up that after the points that were raised in this thread when I initially opened it, I found myself on another, yet very different fence. I basically decided that I could deal with software bugs that would likely be fixed, but if the hardware was at all faulty I would return or on sell the V.

When my V FINALLY arrived, (yes it took too long, yes the production and shipping situation could have been better communicated (partially by Eve not giving us information that they weren’t 100% certain of leading to the constant dashed hopes and feelings of the community being let down)) I found my device to be in seemingly perfect order. I do think one of the main issues is the sleep/hibernate wake on the software side but I can only extrapolate from the forum what the hardware issues are that are affecting other users as none seem to be affecting me, and I was pre wired to be extra picky because I was going to buy the yoga at the first sign of any manufacturing fault.

I think that your situation isn’t right and that Eve should at least be able to give you a clear idea of where you stand in regards to replacement or refund. If they aren’t doing that then you are justified in being upset but currently I see that as the only issue. While the V isn’t as future proof as I would like, I feel for my specific use case, that the yoga 920 would have been a more future proof choice, given the CPU update, I feel that the V does in fact make up for this with its form factor and ease of transport and use which I honestly didn’t give enough credit. If you hadn’t had any issues with your device you might feel very differently.

The one true disappointment I have found is with the sleeve. I didn’t get the extra items with my V like many others. When the sleeve etc finally arrived yesterday I was pretty let down by the materials it was made from. It’s like sliding the V into a sandwich of green abrasive pads like the ones you use to scrub dishes. I just don’t understand how that material was chosen. I will likely only use it when I pack the V for flights and I will look for a courier bag that has a tablet slot instead.

The 3% failure rate of devices could clearly be better if those numbers are correct, and customer support could definitely be better if your situation is common amongst those who have been unlucky enough to receive bad devices. But I think the V is actually a pretty dam good device if you are in the majority of people who got properly functioning units.

So, I agree with you, people with bad V’s need to be quickly and clearly supported to get refunds or replacement units but I would not label the device as to be avoided due to these issues. I think one of the main problems is that everyone who has a V right now, waited far longer than they expected and anyone who waited all that time only to get a bad device and then suffer from poor support would likely feel significantly worse than if they walked into a store and bought a surface, had issues, sought a refund/replacement and had to wait longer than expected to be dealt with.

I would have happily traded the V for the Yoga, I have no allegiance when it comes to utility but the V does what it says on the tin quite well. So I’m happy to hang on to it for the time being, but I will voice my desire for more robust customer support when given the opportunity as that will help everyone in the future.

In many cases of software bugs on the Surface, there wasn’t anything Microsoft could do either to immediately fix the issue besides maybe sending a new device or offering a refund. Wait, that’s exactly what Eve is offering as well

Have a look at this thread describing people’s experience with refunds - highlight being the person who is hoping to gets money back after 3 months. This isn’t a one off - another user recently got their refund after 2.5 months.

You are correct to say they are offering refunds, but they are not being delivered in anything approaching a reasonable time frame.

I just don’t think it’s fair to hold a crew of guys that can fit into a small room and who just started out and who have never dealt with a shipment of thousands of devices before to the same standards of speed as a multi billion dollar company with decades of experience under its belt

Can’t speak for everyone, but don’t believe I have held eve to the same standards as the multi billion dollar companies you refer to. I waited 18 months for my Eve to ship, and would not have accepted that lead time (and the many extensions, delays and missed delivery dates therein) from the megacorps.

Also worth noting that Eve are a multi million dollar company working on this for ~3 years. They shouldn’t be expected to perform to the same level as the megacorps, but it’s reasonable to expect better than what they’ve delivered - specifically high (IMO) rate of issues with devices on delivery, unresponsive support org, interminable refund process, and a glorious history of failing to meet their delivery dates. YMMV.

What? How did you wait 18 months?

OMFC ARE YOU HERE TO HERALD THE SECOND COMING OF THE FUTURE CHICKEN?!

I had the same thought when I received mine too, but it’s really not that bad once you get over the initial “wtf is this rough af stuff” phase