[BRAINSTORMING] How did you get your last device broken?

Hi guys!

This is part 2 of our aftersales discussion for V. See part one below:

As we started planing out the repair process we realized that it is very important to understand what kind of issues are most likely to happen to our device. To be frank it is quite hard to predict this before actually shipping devices out and seeing what the most common issues are.

The good news is that we have you guys :slight_smile: I bet many of you being tech enthusiasts had to go through a repair or return process at least once:) Let’s get straight to the point:

Tell us what are the most common issues for warranty and repair scenarios that you think could happen to your V during it’s lifetime.

Let’s categorize issues in 2 groups:

###1. Warranty cases

• What are the most common warranty issues that happend to devices you purchased before?
  • What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a warranty case?
    ###2. Repairs (meaning unfortunately you broke your V :cry: )
  • What are the most common repair cases that happend to devices you purchased before?
  • What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a non-warranty case case?

####Please answer in that format! Feel free to share your warranty/repair experience too!

P.S. After we finish brainstorming issues we could give rough estimate of cost of fixing them if repair center, DIY or factory is used.

I’m starting with the most obvious:
Stepping/sitting on it or throwing it down resulting in a cracked screen, etc. :smiley:
Pouring something over it is also a classic :wink:

And about warranty cases: I had broken keys with an HP laptop once :thinking:

Edit:
A really shitty case outside of the warranty that wasn’t my fault: My old Samsung screen killed his fuse just after 2 years and a few months…

Warranty cases

Most common warranty issues (former devices):

• fan malfunction (Lenovo X220t) shorly after warrenty ended
  • old battery that lost most of its capacity (Nook HD+ with no warrenty, Lenovo X220: got a brand new battery per UPS after 5 months)
  • broken headphone jacket (noise) on Motorola Milestone (was fixed in warrenty)

What could be a V warrenty case?

• obviously there is no fan, but all internal parts are not user replacable (SSD defect, SSD cable loose ;-), battery malfunction or lost capacity), so I guess mostly all hardware defects are warrenty cases

Repairs

Most common repair cases that happend to devices

• never had a repair for money after warrenty

Potential non-warrenty cases

• bathtube accidents
  • broken/bent pen nibs
  • cats and their influence on things to “accidentally” fall down from tables :smile_cat:

Ad 1. Light bleeding (MS Surface Book), ghosting (MacBook Pro retina), dead DVD (MacBook Pro), burnt motherboard (Dell notebook)

Ad 2. Same as number 1

1. Warranty cases
    countless HDDs dead, but never an SSD
    Graca issues (artifacts), probably memory
    Memory failure
    LCD failure - lines
    power adapter (NB) failure
    PSU failure (desktop)
    kybd on a NB (specific keys not reacting)

2. Repairs
    cracked plastics (actually no repair here, i can live with the damage :slight_smile:)
    broken connectors (usb, power)

1. Three Mainboard defects in roughly three years … aplaude to you acer for your good boards

but all where repaired for free that was good at least…

1. Warranty cases

• What are the most common warranty issues that happend to devices you purchased before?

Dead on arrival.
Infinite reboot loop (unknown reason).
Battery not charging.
HDD with growing bad sectors.
Defective RAM.
Battery on fire (a friend of mine).
USB 3.0 non-full compliance (not fixed: only happening on certain devices, would have required replacing the whole motherboard)

• What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a warranty case?

Any of the above?

2. Repairs (meaning unfortunately you broke your V :cry: )

• What are the most common repair cases that happend to devices you purchased before?

I’m quite nice with my devices and so far I haven’t broken any. So, I’ll mention what some friends of mine had the misfortune to do. Not all of them were actually repaired:
Device dropped in water
Device fell on the ground (with a car’s wheel passing on it soon after)
Device pressed/bent unevenly, producing permanent artifacts on screen
Stumbled on cable, dragging multiple devices on the ground
Cat decided to eat power cord

• What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a non-warranty case?

Any or all of the above.

1. Warranty cases
What are the most common warranty issues that happend to devices you purchased before?

DOA / Dead on arrival = BIOS defective
Defective of HDD/SSD
Defective RAM
Battery not charging / Battery does not last 6 months
Power supply does not charge anymore, connector defective.
Motherboard suddenly no function (Boot no more)

What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a warranty case?
Any of the above?

What are the most common repair cases that happend to devices you purchased before?

Device dropped in water
Device fell to the ground without protective cover
Accidentally turned on the device and the screen broke.
Stumbled on cable, dragging multiple devices on the ground
oooh all Cats :scream_cat:

What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a non-warranty case?
All of the above.

2 Device fell to the cement floor - cracked the screen.

1. Warranty cases

What are the most common warranty issues that happend to devices you purchased before?

• Logic board replacement (x4) due to graphics related issues. Major design flaw in the manufacturing process: bad thermal design together with wrong type of lead-free soldier used in the graphics chip. 2 Logic board failures, 1 logic board replacement flashed improperly and mishandled by the service provider - eventually died, and the 4th showed again graphics artifacts after some months.

• LCD screen replacement (x4), 1st for ghosting and artifacts, 2nd artifacts due to logic board cable/connector, 3rd-> front coating peeling off, 4th due to artifacts (combo with graphics replacement above).

• HDD (rotational). Died during warranty period.

• Battery expanded while cracking the casing of the phone, broke the LCD too as a result. Whole unit replacement.

• Component failure

What are the most common repair cases that happened to devices you purchased before?

• LCD replacement a few times due to accidental drop
  • Battery replacement - outside of warranty period
  • Component replacement and/or upgrade - outside of warranty period
  • Liquid damage - not repaired

What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a non-warranty case case?

• Accidental, Liquid or physical damage, and improper handling
  • Damaged or Broken LCD
  • Cosmetic damage

1 - Laptop overheated due to a failure to sleep after I closed it and put it in my bag. The screen edge warped slightly and now I have two vertical discoloration stripes on the display.

• V could suffer similar damage from overheating, but based on reports it sounds like the cooling solution is strong enough.

I’m eagerly waiting for the V to be my amazing replacement! :slight_smile:

I had a Dell laptop (XPS13) which had basically all components replaced by Dell under warranty. First the screen developed a stripe in it (a bad scan line), then a second and a third and finally there was a 1/2 inch stripe vertically on the screen. It proved to be a motherboard swap, at least the first of two motherboard swaps under warranty.

The second motherboard swap was really caused by my electric company, they have lots of brownouts and I left the machine plugged in. The transformer was fried and the motherboard took a hit as well. Because the transformer failed and allowed the faults of the Rockland Electric to hit the motherboard, Dell was on the hook for another in house call to replace the second motherboard on the XPS 13, I guess they wished I didn’t extend my warranty from 1 year to 2.

1. Warranty cases

• Batteries issues (no charge or lost capacity, drop to 10% at 0% in 10 secondes, …)
  • Connectors issues (broken welds on power connector)
  • Buttons issues (I had to press it so hard that it worked)

What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a warraty case?

• All issues with hardware inside (including battery)

• Defective buttons

• Defective screen (back light, dead pixels, …)

• Don’t forget accessories, I mean charger (smoke, burn, not working), cable issue (broken plastic, sheth iregular damade), defective sleeves (broken sewing for example), adapter not working, V Pen not working (Why ???), … So all items sold by EvE have to be covered for defective issue

2. Reapairs (meaning unfortunatelly you broke your V :cry: )

What are the most common repair cases that happend to devices you purchased before?

• Maybe I’m a lucky gay but it was always under warranty so… see above

• Drop so broken screen (cracks), body damage, connectors destroyed
  • Dish washer, joke aside, water damage, including humidity
    and that’s it

1. Warranty cases
What are the most common warranty issues that happened to devices you purchased before?

Surprisingly, I’ve had two faulty CPU (i7-4700mq) on my laptop that caused lots of bsods within a year or two of its purchase.
Burnt out GPUs (my last laptop’s onboard intel gpu died and I was quoted 300 dollars to replace it :confounded:).
Defective touchscreens.
Creaky hinges on laptop (maybe in this case something might possibly go wrong with our detachable keyboard?)

Any of the above?

It seems folks have covered the bases for hardware issues very well.

What about software? My understanding from working at Microsoft is that the majority of PC returns are due to SW issues rather than HW. BSOD and the like is super frustrating for customers, so having good support and drivers/firmware updated on a regular cadence is crucial to avoid thrash in CS and warranty claims. If the HWIDs used in the various components are customized to the Eve brand, then having a WHQL ID registered with Microsoft is a good approach so that the driver suite can be customized on Windows Update rather than having generic drivers from various vendors clobber the vetted drivers randomly.

Does Eve have a PCI subsys ID registered? I didn’t see it in this open source list.

1. Warranty cases

Faulty devices or busted capacitors after some intense use.

Ex:
Lenovo thinkpad X200 wireless card not working even after getting the wifi card, and the motherboard replaced 3 times. (This hapened with 2 units amog 5, not a good track record)

Chuwi Hi8 touch capability not working on a full lateral of the device just because.

Samsung Galaxy tab Screen becoming detached due to heat from the device working at full capacity for long period of time.

What in your opinion could happen to V that would be a warraty case?

As it is now, and once manufacturing is not done manually, very little since all components are hi-quality. Maybe buttons become missaligned or the electric shielding introducing noises somewhere? Is too soon to tell. And there is always time to note them, doing it now is kinda asking to borrow trouble.

2. Reapairs (meaning unfortunatelly you broke your V :cry: )

Shatered Screeen on a mobile phone, Samsung Galaxy 6.
Peeling paint because of use (Kindle touch)
Decoloration of the device because of handling (Chuwi Hi 8)
Broken power connectors, (Multiple phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)

Once again, hard to tell without experience with the device itself.

But electric network related problems busting some internal circuit.
The battery inflating due to over use (something to be wary off in a few years)
Over Extending the hinge, or material fatigue on one of the sides for not opening it with booth hands.

1. Warranty cases

• Electronic defect (bad RAM)

• Electronic defect (any component level issue with exception of external cause)

• Mechanical defect (hard drive, fans, not an issue for the V. Mostly wear and tear.)
  • Electronic defect (burned-out display)

• Broken displays due to drop or impact (somehow incredibly common)
  • Bent or dented device body due to drop or impact
  • @Konstantinos

I guess I’m either very careful or very lucky that I’ve never broken a device through drops, etc.

In both instances, I will say screen problems.

I’ve only had warranty issues with electronics twice that I can think of: One was a Nokia Lumia 920 with a bad screen.
The other was my Dell Inspiron 5720 with a bad screen.

In the first scenario, there was a blue line that appeared down the left side of the screen, perhaps due to dead pixels. I had to go through my cell phone provider for the exchange, which seemed to take forever, but actually only took about 10 days. It was relatively painless, probably because this was a minor issue.

In the second case, the Dell laptop had a discolored spot appear on about 1/3 of the screen. I called Dell support, they sent a box to send the computer for repair, and I was out a computer for about 2 weeks (during my busiest semester of college). Dell sent it back, saying it was repaired, and that they had replaced the monitor cable. I turn it on, ans the same issue was still there. I called to complain, and they paid to send it back and fix it again. It got fixed properly this time, but they must’ve given it back to the same repair guy and probably chewed him out, because when I got the laptop back the second time, it had obviously been carelessly packaged and thrown into the box. It looked like someone had been angry that they had to fix the same problem. Tough.

I say all this to mention, PLEASE quality check the displays and connections. I know that nothing is foolproof, but hoping stuff like this can be avoided.

As for non-warranty cases, I would say stuff like dropping the V in water or just plain dropping it on a hard surface and having it break would not qualify.

maybe a little bit off topic: My old lenovo laptop (I will use it as ultimate backup if my eve V arrive) got an not working TouchPad. it was my fault.

the stupid lenovo laptop with his extremely slow Seagate barracuda HDD was so slow, that the i5 can’t work right. the Screen stucks, freezes, nothing happend.

i gave this TouchPad my own kind of massage. I feeling sorry for that and it’s hard to use a mouse every time. But a device has to work and the manufacture has to use working parts together…

now, a SanDisk ssd works in my lenovo and it don’t need further more massages. :smiley: :slight_smile:

I have never experienced a warranty case. Followings are just of my imagination.

1. Warranty cases
    initial error
    -SSD is not recognized (or missing, as one of the prototype was).
    -Glue is not enough in some part
    -display (not equal around, a bright/dark dot, shifted to the frame)
    -damage during transport
    As V is shipped worldwide, and is not of mass production, initial error costs a lot of money of the company and the time of the uzer. Some uzer may not want the product that is outdated for a few weeks anymore. Each V should be assembled and examined carefully.

after arrival
-Heat or overheat may cause detached glue, gap btwn the parts, condenser leakage or change of the external color

1. Repairs
    -V may drink smth or jump off of the desk (as many Eve community members say)
    -detachable or flexible part of the keyboard (maybe within a year, uzers may order a keyboard because they rather buy a new one than have it repaired in a particular part and the other part is left worn).
    -A/C adaptor may last shorter or lost somehow but is not the case of repair but buying the new one
    -tip of the pen was already prepared in some topic
    most of the repair may result in replacement of the part/unit or buying a new one (as Axxle runs

After sales service costs a lot! Every company prepares a (few or more) person to listen to the ANGRY customers. I do not want to listen to the bad luck story of buying proudly a brand new product to find it with initial error.