Blur Buster Eve Spectrum Strobe Tuning Completion

Yes, OD Gain adjustability during VRR strobe.

Strobed OD Gain offsets are necessary for improving strobed VRR because of factors like user preference, framerate ranges and panel temperature (colder computer rooms requires a slightly stronger OD Gain for best overdrive quality). Even when there’s dynamic overdrive (usually varying OD Gain calculated by an algebra algorithm or 2D LUT that is linked to frametime), there should be an OD Gain offset as a compensating factor for panel lottery and panel temperature effects – this can reduce strobe crosstalk noticeably by a few percent.

I have not yet decided if it’ll be an absolute value or an offset value. This will be decided during Project Phase #2.

I’m still in Project Phase #1, awaiting an opening by Suzhou Lehui who’s working on a different issue tracking items in their bug tracking system, before they hit requested firmware changes necessary for me to resume Project Phase 1.

Based on what I know, my opinion is that Suzhou Lehui should continue working on the higher-priority items before resuming work on my initial-internal-development-only strobed VRR pre-requisite firmware changes. Yes, it delays strobed VRR further but everybody unamiously agrees that they should focus on critical priorities first. My time is already retained for strobed VRR. I’m just waiting for Suzhou to finish other important bug fixes.

My last ping indicated they were still several high-priority items in their issue tracking system (the github/bugzilla style system they use). I will ping them again for a time estimate for the internal development firmware with all the Phase #1 changes – then I can proceed with testing what adjustments are optimal while being easiest for users.

Once I see how the panel behaves in early strobed VRR tests – then I can design the adjustments required to tune strobed VRR, while being easy enough for an advanced user or experienced calibrator (e.g. colorimeter user) since DIY strobe tuning is theoretically easier than DIY color tuning with the right motion test patterns invented.

For a timeline – to temper expectations. Since there are 4 project phases (phase 1,2,3,4) to get strobed VRR released to public, it probably won’t be before the end of the year if current ongoing bottlenecks from the triple trifecta (parts shortages, Taiwan pandemic lockdowns, and other priority bugfix items).

2 Likes

Sounds great! Btw, do you think the 240 hz model will have less red phosphor artifacts at higher refreshes since the time between strobes is shorter I assume it gives less time for the eye to perceive the red decaying phosphor? (speaking theoretically of course, I know you don’t have the 240 hz panel on you yet probably)

The phosphor can still keep decaying over multiple refresh cycles, so no. The KSF phosphor decay speed is identical in absolute time on all of these KSF panels at the moment.

However, there are other reasons why 240 Hz will help, because of the refresh rate headroom trick.

120Hz strobing at 1/240sec scanout has less strobe crosstalk than 120Hz strobing at 1/144sec scanout.

This remained true for KSF panels. The KSF ghosting is still the same but the crosstalk component decreases / disappears. You can reach higher refresh rates at the same levels of quality, for example, or better quality at the same lower refresh rate.

For more information, see refresh rate headroom is good for strobing.

However, the best monitor to get is generally the one that is available. If you see an RTX 3070 in stock even though you were trying to get an RTX 3090, I’d still get the RTX 3070.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I already have a good monitor (XG27AQM from asus with elmb sync) but I am a motion blur reduction enthusiast and would like to see the clarity of this monitor firsthand. If I was able to find the legendary sony CRT for a decent price I would buy it in a heartbeat but sadly it’s $4500 online and out of my price range. $700 for a monitor with decent strobing looks like a drop in the bucket vs that tbh.
I personally would like 200 hz or more strobed for the reduced input lag and responsiveness vs 120 with QFT trick.
I eagerly await the result of this monitor’s tuning :slight_smile:

1 Like