Blur Buster Eve Spectrum Strobe Tuning Completion

As Chief Blur Buster I want to personally confirm that I assisted Eve with strobe tuning. I completed my strobe tuning work this week. Talk about tight timing!

I personally requested that my completion is not pre-announced since this is a first-time gaming monitor vendor that needed to pass through the whole Blur Busters process first. I prefer not seeing terrible strobing happening. I was not sure they were able to achieve it – but I can confirm that they were able to implement all my strobe-tuning modifications. Now we went through the process and I can trust that my features is now going to be put into the shipping firmware – I can tell more.

(For new posters, “strobing” is a motion blur reduction feature to allow LCDs to match the motion clarity of impulse-driven displays such as CRTs, plasmas, etc).

So without further ado:

Strobing Works With PC, Consoles and Television Sources
No computer is mandatory for strobing – any HDMI & DP video source can gain motion blur reduction via strobing. Cable, Blu-Ray, PlayStation, X-Box. You will be able to watch sports cable television from a cable TV box connected to an EVE Spectrum, at 60Hz and 120Hz single-strobe

Despite KSF phosphor, less motion blur than a plasma TV
Users here may be familiar with the link I posted earlier – www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor – as Eve has the great wide-gamut color but the KSF phosphor has a (smallish, depending on your POV) con when it comes to strobing. Fortunately I was able to confirm that the Eve 4K Spectrum manages to achieve less motion blur than a plasma TV. The middle of the screen at 60 Hz has almost no strobe crosstalk and fairly little KSF ghosting with most video content. Plasma televisions (even the famous Pioneer Plasma) has a well-known yellow-ghosting issue, and the KSF ghosting with well-tuned strobing is currently less visible than that. Despite KSF, sub-millisecond MPRT is still possible with the Eve Spectrum.

As I already posted before – due to the impressive color but slow-strobing KSF phosphor, it is unable to pass the criteria required for a Blur Busters Approved logo. However, it went through the whole process for the best-possible that I think a KSF panel can get! However, for a KSF panel, it’s not bad. I was able to tune the Eve Spectrum to have significantly less phosphor ghosting than a plasma TV.

But, the important thing at the end of the day – EVE Spectrum manages to ghosts less than a plasma TV. Not bad for a KSF panel!

Easy Factory Pretuned Modes
The easy factory pretuned strobe refresh rates are are 50Hz, 60Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz.

User Defined Pulse Width
The user defined pulse width is adjustable in the onscreen menu from 1% refresh cycle to 25% refresh cycle, translating to resulting MPRTs between 1% to 25% of the refresh interval. This is a brightness versus motion clarity tradeoff. Metaphorically, it is like adjusting the speed of a CRT phosphor! Dimmer & clearer motion, versus brighter & very slightly softer motion (but still clearer than without strobing). Shorter pulse widths can be great if you use material with ultrafast motion speeds (2000 pixels/second or faster panning motions).

Retro Friendly Low-Hz Strobing
Yes, you emulator users, single-strobe custom Hz including 50 Hz and 60 Hz is supported! So your 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz content can be strobed faithfully like a 50-60Hz CRT at both PAL and NTSC strobe frequency. For best ergonomics, keep low-Hz strobe disabled in the bright Windows Desktop (flickers too much), and enable the strobe when you launch your copy of Sega Sonic Hedgehog or anything that demands single strobe CRT emulation! Something NVIDIA strobing (ULMB) cannot do with an external video source!

For Advanced Users: EVE Strobe Utility software package coming
As a service to all manufactures we help strobe-tune, we optionally provide a free skinned/branded versions of optional strobe tuning utilities for users. EVE has opted in. Therefore, I will ship an EVE Strobe Utility software package shortly (0-100% Strobe Phase, 1%-25% Strobe Pulse Width, and 64-Level Overdrive Gain!) for advanced users who want to dive deeper into strobe tuning. Just like professionals sometimes buys a colorimeters to calibrate advanced color, this is for advanced blur reduction users who would like additional optional control above-and-beyond. Any custom strobed Hz from 50Hz to 144Hz can be created via a custom resolution. For example 3840x2160 running at 128Hz with your custom strobe tuning.

Choice For User
Some people gets more LCD motion blur headaches and strobing is the lesser evil for some people. So your mileage will vary. Purely optional – backlight strobing can be turned ON / OFF. Everybody has different preferences!

For those new to Blur Busters research, feel free to explore Blur Busters Area 51

44 Likes

This is super, thankyou for your efforts!

8 Likes

that comment of @BlurBusters should have been its own post - too precious to hide it here inside the comments!

8 Likes

Thank you @BlurBusters !! And yes this comment should have its own post.

6 Likes

Will you also be involved in the 240hz Spectrum strobing? hopefully at 240hz.

8 Likes

Sorry to be ignorant but what’s “KSF”?

5 Likes

The backlight module is coated with a nano-particle layer (hence the ‘nano’ in ‘Nano IPS’) that filters out unwanted light frequencies and allows for a wider color gamut and more accurate colors. In some monitors, including Spectrum, this coating is based on potassium hexafluorosilicate (K2SiF6), which leads to the more common name ‘KSF LED’ for this type of backlight solution.

16 Likes

It stands for the chemicals that are used in some LED panels, namely potassium, silicone and flourine that can be found in the compound. It also includes some manganese but that doesn’t flow as well in the name :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you so much @BlurBusters for sharing your hard work on the Eve Spectrum :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes. I can confirm that EVE has retained the services of Blur Busters for their upcoming 240 Hz model.

Please note, that this is not an endorsement either way or not; merely simply to inform that Blur Busters services are currently retained for the 240Hz model.

The expectation is that all similar features will be made available, hardware-limitations-permitting. Panels can be unexpectedly different, creating worse/better strobing…

I can tell you that Blur Busters can be retained by over a dozen monitor models from a few manufacturers. For strobe-related and non-strobe-related services. And some are some 2 years out, occasionally for models that are later cancelled, or delayed a year, and my service credit transferred to a different model.

So if you’re on the fence, you might prefer to go for a screen that is already on the assembly line, with an installed firmware I’ve personally finished tuning, and visually confirmed in the retail firmwares. With better certainty of panel limitations/nonlimitations, rather than a screen that I don’t even have a DVT prototype of (yet). The chip fab shortage has delayed a lot of monitor models by multiple manufacturers too, so waiting is kind of a lottery like trying to buy GPUs. And of course, we all already know the LCD panel manufacturer is also bottlenecked by fab capacity bottlenecks too, and the chips needed for the scaler/TCON (the monitor motherboard). So EVE is doing lots of waiting too, not just us peasants.

To prevent “Osborning” the 4K 144Hz model – my universal disclaimer about risks of waiting also apply. Some of us who can afford it buys now (144Hz), then buys again later (240Hz) – as we do for a GPU, a monitor brand, or eagerly awaited upgrade. The Next Better Thing is always around the corner, but the reduced Moore’s Law pace, the pandemic & the chip fab capacity shortage have slowed that down a bit. So, often, my boilerplate refrain is often “don’t wait”.

But the short answer is “yes”, :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Sounds good, I have a 6900XT waiting for it since months. There is simply no real alternative currently available. All the monitors from asus/acer etc. get delayed or are almost impossible to get your hands on. Not to mention most monitors dont even support 240hz strobing. The only available alternative from gigabyte sadly is a BGR panel.

2 Likes

This is really great news and thanks for sharing your findings/results directly.

I knew from your previous posts not to have unreasonable expectations about due to the LG panel/KSF phosphor but knowing now that Eve was able to follow through and retain Blur Buster’s services to tune the monitor as much as possible is very much a feature of the display in my book.

Will you be able to provide any additional reviews/tech deep dives for the display? Or like a Blur Buster’s ‘white paper’ that shows the final tuning outcome with some quantitative results?

Either way thanks for contributing to the community side!

5 Likes

Yes, but not EVE specific, just KSF in general.

Over the long term, more Blur Busters white papers are definitely planned where we put other white paper style articles (Blur Busters Area 51)

I think I may write a KSF Part II and throw in a couple of general KSF pursuit photos to adjust the reputation of KSF to their proper level. A piece about well-tuned KSF strobing being acceptable to certain parts of the Blur Busters audience who want wider gamut strobing, even if not matching the zero-crosstalkness of the best LCDs (all narrow-gamut aka worse colors than Nano IPS)

My original article about KSF phosphor probably discouraged a lot of motion blur reduction enthusiasts away from panels with KSF phosphors in their LED backlights. So an addendum is now needed (a part 2 white paper essentially), in terms of “Exactly how much does KSF phosphor affects strobe quality?” – and it actually isn’t as bad as plasma ghosting.

LCD panels are tough tradeoffs of compromises (TN? IPS? VA? Wide gamut LCD? Blur Busters Approved LCD? Expensive local dimming? Etc).

No LCD panel is currently a jack-of-all-trades However, the tradeoffs are acceptable for some people who tolerate a little phosphor ghosting (like a plasma has more than CRT) yet but want better strobed colors. Wide gamut strobing is very rare with LCDs.

While Blur Busters is not a mass reviewer, Blur Busters invent a lot of tests that other monitor reviewers and manufacturers use as part of their testing suites. So our white paper style articles aren’t monitor-model-specific.

11 Likes

Will you also be looking at blur reduction performance when VRR is active (not sure if that’s implemented yet)?

2 Likes

At least as of June 9th, 2021, services for “simultaneous strobing AND variable refresh” isn’t currently yet retained at this time for any current or future EVE model. I’ll update if this status changes.

Strobed VRR tuning is indeed a new premium-cost service that Blur Busters offers. It is much more complex than fixed-Hz strobe services because of the greatly increased complexity of strobed VRR.

–EDITS BELOW–

P.S. Services for tuning simultaneous VRR+strobing wasn’t a service yet offered by Blur Busters when EVE originally decided to retain full strobe tuning services of Blur Busters (above-and-beyond a volunteer advisory role). However, it is now a service that Blur Busters offers. Theoretically, with a user firmware upgradeable monitor such as this time, it’s probably theoretically possible. Based on this inquiry, I will find out if it is possible. No promises.

P.P.S. This monitor is clearly user firmware upgradeable, so kudos on that. No dongle mandatory, just a USB cable. I’ve been installing release-candidate firmwares and the process appears simple.

19 Likes

Hey, guys! We have delivered a firmware update supercharged by the masterly-tuned Backlight Strobing to our ever-helpful community testers! Feel free to ask for their first-hand experience of the optimized motion blur reduction technology (MBRT) mode!

9 Likes

Yes I wanted to add that as well. Please implement this preset also for the 240hz Model!

3 Likes

I think this is a huge extra bonus for the development of the monitor that was never promised upfront.

5 Likes

I have an Acer 1440p 240hz monitor and while it is one of the best monitors I have ever used. It has solid strobing but it definitely is not DYAC. Backlight strobing equivalent to DYAC on a 1440p monitor is really my endgame. If the EVE is good enough I will probably sell the Acer. Hopefully BlurBusters knocks it out of the park for EVE.

4 Likes

Retro community REJOICE! I’m saying this not only to the emulation lovers out there, but to original hardware players that will be upscaling to their eve Spectrums!

5 Likes