Bitstream optical out for Spectrum | I know it's too late, but this would be a killer feature

If the Eve Spectrum had a bitstream optical out. You know, since both Xbox and PS got rid of them.

2 Likes

I have replied to this topic before, but optical out is a dying standard. Technology Connections did a nice video one why TOSLINK (the standard these are based on) is going away. It is very old at this point and really there is no possibility for it to be updated while keeping support for previous devices that used it.

4 Likes

I agree with you, to a point and there may be issues with the current mixamps (Astro mainly) but audio via USB is not so good compared to optical. I have both the Astro Pro TR and the Turtle Beach Pro TAC, used with the Sennheiser GSP 600. The Astro sounds miles different getting it’s audio from USB rather than optical, plenty of people are complaining about it and Astro said they are looking into it. I prefer the Turtle Beach over the Astro, but Turtle Beach has no plans in updating their mixamp to allow audio via USB. Therefore I’m using an audio extractor to get the Turtle Beach to work. Downside is there’s no HDMI 2.1 audio extractors out there.

2 Likes

I can’t really speak to the audio quality, with all the loud music I listened to when I was younger my ears are shot :sweat_smile:, but mostly to adding the port to the Spectrum. I belive you when you say you get better audio out of it over other solutions, but I would say adding a TOSLINK port has a very niche demand. I think very few people actually use this port outside a select group. Does it make sense for Eve to spend money on a chipset to add the port that will be used by probably less then 1% of their user base? They already have an option for audio out with a 3.5 mm jack that will be good enough for most people. I am sure they will come out with a HDMI 2.1 extractor sometime in the future, but I am sure it will not be cheap…

4 Likes

I was also concerned about the lack of an audio output terminal other than HDMI on the new gaming console.
If you’re thinking about connecting to a console, it makes sense to have an optical digital output jack on the Spctrum, and I hope that you’ll consider it for the next model.
I currently avoid this problem by using USB-DDC on my PS5. This allows me to use HDMI 2.1 as it is, unlike the HDMI separator.
I don’t feel the sound quality is particularly bad, but one small problem is that it is recognized as a USB headset, which mutes the sound of the controller.

2 Likes

I personally feel these issues are a poor show on behalf of Astro and similar companies.
I have the Steelseries Wireless Pro and since the PS5 launch they have provided firmware to continue to use my device via the USB port only (originally used optical on PS4) and benefit from the new 3D audio the PS5 offers.

Little confort to those not on PS5 or not using a Steelseries device; this is my personal experience. The point I am retrospectively making is the addition of an optical audio port this late into development is unlikely. Astro and other companies would better serve their customers by looking into this and future proofing their products so considerably more can benefit moving into the next-gen consoles with their current devices.

2 Likes

It is too late to add an optical out, but I don’t think it’s too late to support ARC/eARC to HDMI 2. I believe ARC can be done with software and possibly a firmware update later down the road? ARC/eARC would be a big plus since that can just be ran to an audio extractor. Samsung just released a line of monitors that support ARC.

2 Likes

Can someone from Eve look into this and let us know if it is possible to allow ARC/eARC to one of it’s HDMI ports and if so, Eve will look into it and consider it? I’m wasting money on different audio options for the Xbox Series X and nothing sounds better than my Pro TAC using an audio extractor. I have bought and tried the Astro Pro TR (audio via USB), the TB Superamp (audio via USB), TB audio controller plus (audio via controller), none of these comes close.

Right now, I’m happy using an audio extractor because my monitor is not HDMI 2.1 (duh) but when the Eve Spectrum releases, I would like to take full advantage of HDMI 2.1 with the Series X.

2 Likes

monoprice is working on 2.1 HDMI extractor but they don’t have an ETA according to their twitter. I’m in the same boat as you with my Gen 4 mixamp. Currently using the astro audio extractor.

1 Like

Do you have a link to this? I’m currently using the Monoprice Blackbird extractor and it does support 1440p120. Also supports 4k60 HDR FreeSync but I have issues with FreeSync, picture keeps going in and out.

1 Like

monoprice Twitter

I ended up just playing Warzone @ 4K60Hz (Series X here) due being able to see further than I could hear. I wonder how image quality would look on the Eve Spectrum @ 4K120.

2 Likes