Big hello from The Netherlands!

Hi, my name is Tristan Schaaf. I’m a 25 year old UX Designer from The Netherlands. Currently I’m working on my Bachelor thesis which is about the most user friendly generic webshop design.

I’m a real tech enthusiast with a keen eye and almost obsession for great experience. Everything tech related I buy gets an week long review period, comparing specs, design and usability of all products as much as possible. I really love to be able to design a tech product, be it a phone, tablet, laptop or a toaster. So being part of a community that does it would be amazing. I haven’t heard from Eve until I saw an article on The Verge, that’s why I might be a little late to the game.

Also, every product decision I make is with an average consumer in my mind. They are the users that I design for. And the average consumer can do less then you might think ( https://www.nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/ )

Welcome to the community!

Welcome to the forum Tristan. I’m sure you’ll find it high interesting information and low on BS. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking for a good community with a focus for a while now. So I hope this is it!

Welcome!

Right now the comunity has increased very fast and continues to do so, there are people from all ways of life so we can be a bit scattered. But when focus is needed you will find lots of people with interesting opinions and a lot of knowledge pour their brains in here.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the community! :smiley:

Hey what’s up welcome to the community.

Since your a UX designer I want to ask you couple of questions

1. Which operating system do you think user that are level 1 would prefer to use iOS or Android?
  2. Do you think that the performance of the users depends on the device they use like a user using a desktop that requires mouse and keyboard vs a tablet which only requires touch input? Which device would the level 1 users would prefer?

In advance thanks for answering.

I assume the “level 1” is in regards to the article I posted.
Firstly, everything a UX/UI designer says is only an educated guess before proper testing is done. Since I lack the resources to test the questions this will be a (debatable) educated guess.
At the current stage of (mobile) OS development, if it would be the first smartphone / tablet I would say iOS. Especially if that person lives near an Apple Store. The customer service Apple provides in their genius bar is something a level 1 would prefer to have as an option. But even without that, having all the apps on their homescreen, instead of in an app drawer, would be the preferred method. If these persons ever owned a computer, just see their desktops. Most of them will likely be cluttered since the folder structure might even be to much to properly comprehend. If they already have a device of which they are capabel of using. Stick to that OS.
Do note, I’m thinking about stock android. Skins can go a long way, which is the power of Android.

Regarding the second question, again I think the user would want to stick to what it knows. Numerous studies of different subjects show that the more everything changes, the more people tend to stick to what they know, even if it doesn’t apply anymore. If a user has never used a computer and/or touchscreen in their live and thus, doesn’t have a preference. I would think that hardware would be the better option. Not only will it provide physical feedback (clicking and typing). Hardware tends to freeze and crash less often. The concept of the mouse might be tricky though. Demonstrated briliantly in this old Dutch commercial https://youtu.be/v9dm3pRUkdw?t=19s (the women says “Go with the mouse to the upper right corner”).

Ultimately, the best answer to both those questions is : Stick to what you know. And if you don’t know any of the options. Go with the one with best future proofing.

I’m a little late, but welcome to the community. You’ve really stood out (in a positive way). Great to have people like you around.

Have you been to meta.discourse.org? What they’re doing sound quite similar to what you described in

I haven’t. I assumed it was more or less a traditional company.
My experience with software focused community fueled companies is that they focus heavily on code (code) optimization and adding functionality. Not design.

Will check it out, thanks!