Best maintanance of a battery? "needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times"

I just bought a new battery not for the V (which, according to battery bar, is still 0% worn!!! :smiley: ) but for my Dell XPS 9575 …
But I turn to you because you are all so knowledgeable and I want to know if especially # 2 is true for all battery packs… ???
Thanks…

On a website, I read the following :
BEGIN QUOTE /// 1. New DELL 0TMFYT battery pack must be fully charged before use.
2. New battery pack needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.
3.Laptop battery undergo self-discharging when left unused. Always store a DELL 0TMFYT battery pack in a fully charged stage for storage.
4. Fully drain and fully recharge your battery pack every few months.///
END QUOTE from the webpage:

Frankly i have no idea of that is true or not. There are so many suggestions around that i dont know.

But i believe discharging and charging it a few times will not do any damage. Just use your laptop normally (or maybe on power saver) for the first full recharge cycles and got should be set.

Cnet posted an overview of phone battery wisdom.
I suppose it is correct for computer batteries too (if not true correct it :lying_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

This is absolute bullshit. Never do that. No. Never. Ney. Don’t.
Lithium-ion battery do not work that way at all.

This old myth of batteries that needed full discharge come from the old nickel batteries that we don’t use anymore.
There is no shorter way to kill a Lithium battery that to go all the way to 0%. You definitely kill the number of possible cycles that the battery is rated to make.
Reaching 0% can even sometimes fuck the chemicals that are inside the battery and completely kill a battery in one shot.

The best way to preserve a Lithium-Ion battery is to keep it in the range between 50 to 80% (yes, even going to the full 100% is not a good idea).
Never wait for it to be under 20% except in very rare occasions when really truly needed.

3 Likes

I agree with GrosBof,

There is one caveat though. If the computer can run on power input solely and not use the battery at all, that would be even better for the battery. Sometimes devices skip the battery when it’s charged for 100%. Also, some battery drivers have a build in charge cap so that it won’t ever go higher then 80%, but that is quite rare.

In Li-ion batteries, the last 20% is the hardest to fill. But with all that being said; the amount you actually use the device is the main issue with batteries and chances are, you will need to replace the battery no matter what after a few years. Since the V has 0 battery degradation according to battery bar, I’d say you’re doing a great job conserving the battery with your daily use!

2 Likes

Well, I have to say that I did not use the V differently than the Lenovo Yoga 500 , which is now “battery wear 12%”… and the new purchased (!) Dell Battery has a battery wear 8%??? really?

I have to say that only when the old Dell Battery was 40% worn and thus I decided to buy a new one, only then I discovered that Dell had this
Battery App (They call it power something) where you actually can decide yourself when to charge your battery (meaning: from which percentage on…) and up to what charge you want to charge it… So, this is great, I applied that immediately , knowing the battery won’t charge before being under 50% and it won’t charge over 95 or so… (I don’t remember what I put in there :smiley: )

What about if a new EVE Laptop OR a new V2 would have that option?
BTW for the V and for my Lenovo Yoga 11.6", I now turn on my alarmclock so that it won’t charge right up to 100% but stays under 100%…

Another point: i bought a battery pack to charge Phones and such. And they say in the instructions that it should be charged fully every 6 months so it does not wear down too quickly.
Your opinions?

The thing is; the fuller the battery, the harder it is to charge it. Usually people say to let it stay between 80%-20% but personally I think the firmware should do that for me. It’s way to bothersome to plug and unplug my device all the time.

Battery degradation is annoying for sure but imo you shouldn’t plan your life around it.

1 Like