Best Additional Storage

TL:DR what’s the best external SSD option and best microSD

So as a lot of us can’t quite stomach the 1tb costs can any of you clever folk advise on the best options (generally speed wise) for external drives?

Is a usb3/c/thunderbolt SSD drive going to be faster than a micro SD card?

Is there a point at which you’d be paying for microSD or SSD performance that isn’t worthwhile because of how much it can actually be utilised?

:slight_smile:

Yes, since the micro SD reader limits/will limit the throughput of any post-2017 MicroSD technology. It could even be that it limits todays available transfer speeds. Do we have some MicroSD benchmarks of the V?

You are looking at something like the WD My Passport SSD or the Samsung T3 for an external fast SSD.

It depends on what you are doing. If it’s just for storage (eg movies) than not really worth it. If you are doing lots of work that involves writing/reading to a disk (programming, video editing etc), than yes, I would say it be worth worth the cost.

What I know is that my V did not bottleneck my 64GB microSD (SanDisk Ultra XC I) when testing it and I got pretty consistent results. This makes me believe our card reader support at least UHS I, which goes to ~100 MByte/s.
So that should be roughly what’s possible - I did some benchmarks on one of my proto V’s I’ll have to dig up the screenshot for that :slight_smile:

Okay great, but 100MByte/s is much less than 40Gbit/s of TB3 or even 10Gbit/s of USB3.1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: so there is not much room for the MicroSD reader against TB3 in terms of future proofnes :wink:

Edit: Thanks @iKirin for the correction of the speeds :slight_smile:

True, but enough for my user case. That might change in a few years, but then so will the pricing.
A SD card it is for me :grinning:

TB3 actually goes up to 40 Gbit/s :slight_smile: I think you were thinking about USB 3.1 :smiley:
But still I feel it’d suffice for me at least if I can push some less used files to a mass storage that is linked up with ~1 GBit/s which is roughly the same as my network storage, except that I have that one with me all the time :smiley:

1 TB Crucial MX300 - $250 + external enclosure USB-C.

So do we buy the fastest SSD we can afford or does the usb/Thunderbolt max out at a point so we’re better off buying a cheaper SSD? :slight_smile:

If you go with a USB-C enclosure the USB-C connection will bottleneck you at ~1 GByte/s transfer speeds (which is still preeeetty fast), with the TB3 you should go to ~4 GByte/s if you can find a SSD that can go that fast :smiley:

I’ll also link an article I got sent from one of our Senior Creators regarding the recommendations by tomshardware for SSDs - might be worth checking out! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Just by reading this I just realized that some recommendations even have the con of ‘Limited Supply’ so it seems that ‘smaller’ SSDs are also getting hit slowly.

As @yaustar mentioned it is mainly about your use case. The SM961 is so insanely fast that it nearly maxes out the 4 PCIe lanes from it’s connector and it’s designed for high-end desktops and laptops for video editing and the like. If you’re planning on doing that with the V you might need the TB3-port for an eGPU though :smiley:

So, if you want very portable storage for pictures, videos, music without editing it an SD is the way to go, I’d say.

If you want extra storage for at home an external HDD will probably be enough or an SSD, if you think, you’ll need the speed or want increased portability.

But overall any SSD will have enough speed, if you just store data imo. Also most of the mid to high-end SDs and HDDs.

Yeah, about that. For most users, including me, only a small part of their files need to be in a high-speed storage. For example, my family photos can happily live on a 5400RPM HDD. I don’t move them around every day, I only open them sometimes, one by one. My OS and software need to be on an SSD because I use them daily and they lag less if the storage is fast. Think for a moment: how often do you suffer from slow hard drive speed? Very often, that’s understandable if you have no SSD at all. SSD and still often? Now think how much data you would need to have on your SSD to fix that. Maybe moving a few folders that you access the most (for example 20GB) would make you happy?

The point is, some people are making a big mistake thinking all the storage they have must have high speed. Storing 1TB of files that you open once or twice a year on an SSD probably won’t make your quality of life much better…

For me I’m working on a number of largeish files on the move, mostly 50mb-2gb and upwards so decent IO speeds would be great

I suppose the main reason for the question was to hopefully help myself and others figure out the best alternative to the lack of upgrade with an external drive without going over the top on an SSD that wouldn’t work at 100 % :slight_smile:

Well i don’t think with those file sizes there wont be problems unless you buy something really really cheap microsd cars and even then your biggest problem propably would be them breaking fast.

Honestly, working with Adobe lightroom, I could buy the slowest HDD available and it’d still be the software that is the bottleneck lol

For my Lightroom Workflow, I used to use a LaCie external HDD, but I’ve recently switched to what I think is the best cost/performance solution, as Thunderbolt 3 SSDs with Sizes large enough for photo/video editing are crazy expensive.

I bought an internal SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 500GB) and put it into a pretty cheap USB 3.1 shell that lets you use internal SSDs as external ones. So far, this is working amazingly, I’m getting good speeds (dont know the exact numbers) and the price was reasonable.
The speed difference was definitely noticeable. I agree that Lightroom is horribly slow, but an SSD does make a massive difference!

Same with me - i’m using 2 TB Crucial MX300 and Satechi USB-C/A enclosure. Big difference in speed for Lightroom/Photoshop in comparison with LaCie 2 TB HDD - USB-C/A.

I did a similar thing. I used the same Samsung 860 EVO drive, but one size down (256Gb). Packaged the drive in a Bytecc slim SATA enclosure with a USB 3.0 interface. This external drive has worked flawlessly for over 2 years and, while I haven’t run any measurements on the drive, I would say it runs “damn” fast. I typically use it for working backup and to transfer files between my laptop and several desktops. It is a very cost - effective solution. The only thing I didn’t like was the original Bytecc USB 3.0 cable, which was bulky. I replaced it with a 3rd party cable (akasa) and all has been well.

I will certainly use this external drive with the Eve V, but I am also eyeing the newish Samsung T5 USB drive. I saw the 512 Gb model advertised at a local vendor (Best Buy) for just under US$200. Seems like a very good value, and the unit is more compact than my homemade version. The T5 might be something to consider, for anyone not wanting to spend the money on the internal 1 Tb SSD upgrade, but looking for more affordable and portable fast storage.

@benej98 @Lukas_Fikr @randydg
I am familiar with this type of solution, however from your descriptions I don’t understand if you are using the external drive only for file storage, like I do (i.e. Lightroom becomes faster because of the faster access/reading/writing speed to the file you are working with) or if you are implying that you actually have Lightroom (or the whole OS?) installed on the external drive… (if that is even possible…)

I just use my external drive for file storage. I don’t have any executable programs installed on the external drive. I suppose it is technically possible to do that, but for simplicity and reliability I have all executable software installed on the (internal) C: Windows partition. I do try to keep all of my user data on different internal disk partitions or on external storage and never store data in C:. I learned that lesson many years ago!