This is not Eve V specific, it might be a problem with TB3 and USB protocols as I have the same problem with other TB3 computers. However, it should be noted down here and I really would like to have a follow up.
What does happen?
It feels like the keyboard “hangs”, missing keystrokes and typing too many characters of the last key pressed. I tried about one minute entering “eve.community” in the url: eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeunity, einty,eeeeeeeeeeeev.communit, … also the backspace was hanging for quite some time.
What should happen?
Well, keyboard should work without any keystrokes counting n-times or missing keystrokes.
How often does this occur?
Quite often, but not always. It could depend on the payload of TB3.
How can we reproduce this issue?
- Use a TB3-dock or a TB3-eGPU
- Connect an USB-Hub to it (doesn’t matter if USB2/3 or active/passive)
- Connect an USB-Keyboard to the USB-Hub
- Try different keystrokes, like writing blogposts, a book or forum troll bashing
Things I noticed
- USB Hub is working, if plugged into V directly it works
- Keyboard is working, once I plug it in directly to the TB3 dock (or eGPU or V) it works
- USB Connection itself is working, the keyboard (or mouse) is recognized correctly and setup runs smoothly
- TB3 devices (HP Omen Accelerator and Lenovo TB3 dock) both don’t work as expected and have the same issue
- No Windows errors whatsoever
- Exactly the same issue occurs with a HP ZBook Studio G3 connected to the TB3 devices.
- I guess it is a protocol problem talking USB over TB3
- I think I have lags with the mouse too, same with USB headphones when connected to an USB Hub sitting behind a TB3 device, but so far the keyboard issue is the most prominent one.
- Plug the USB device directly into the TB3 USB ports and don’t use an USB hub behind any TB3 device.