Apple livestream discussion thread

I completely agree with what @Namiste said. Apple is no longer coming out with products that introduce new innovations to the world. They are very good products, but not ones that bring a feature for the first time. The one exception might be their chip team, who seems to be absolutely killing it.

Don’t believe me? Look at what they announced:

iPhone X key features:

• Slim bezels, edge to edge display
  • Wireless Charging

Apple TV key feature:

• Supports 4k and HDR content

Apple Watch Series 3 key feature:

• LTE

Even last years iPhone 7 key features:

• Waterproofing
  • Stereo speakers
  • More storage
  • Dual Cameras

None of these are market firsts. We’ve seen all of them before. Now I do think Apple implements technology in a really high quality way, sometimes better than anyone else, but they definitely are not what they once were.

When iPhone and iPad were announced, they really were defining new categories. Apple’s new approach seems to be watch the market, then come up with a product based on (mostly) the best ideas that are already out there.

• Apple Homepod > Response to Amazon Alexa and Google Home
  • Apple Watch > Response to Pebble, Android Wear, and Fitbit
  • iPad Pro > Response to Surface Pro
  • Apple TV > Response to Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV

None of Apple’s products are category firsts anymore. Apple still makes high quality products with great hardware and software integration, but they have become followers rather than the boundary-pushers they once were.

I believe it was actually Google that came out with face recognition first on the Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I guess you could technically say that Samsung was involved, because it was a Samsung Nexus, but it was an Ice Cream Sandwich feature.

Maybe technology isn’t ready for projects that push boundaries as much as we wish for.

The google.method was purely software. It didn’t have anykind of hardware security, plain software trick.

What Samsung and Apple have now done is pretty much different as there are specific hardware which does the job. Although Samsung’s technology is pretty much a joke security wise

for me Iphone 8 is satisfying. But Iphone X is a WOW. Orded an iPhone 8 Plus and very happy to see that there are many options to move staff to iphone 8 without much effort.

Very nicely done :smiley:

You’re being sarcastic right? :fearful:

well if you think that looks good then no, else yes its “amazing” :wink:

They could at least have the software just spare out the parts next to the camera area in black. It’s an AMOLED screen. Just switch the LEDs off :sweat_smile:

Yeah. Webpages with a black (or any dark) background will look horrible. :disappointed:

Oh no!! That’s a web designer’s nightmare! Websites should be rendered exactly how they are designed, not with added bars! Totally removes from the immersion and experience :confused:

That maybe. I’ve never worked with Windows Hello. These are all “nice-to-haves” but nothing essential, imo.

:sunglasses: