Anyone else interested in a 5k or 6k Display that has more ports than just Thunderbolt?

It’s a bummer that there are so few 5k and 6k displays available. There’s basically 3 options. Apple’s 5k or 6k displays or LG’s 5k display. All of which only have Thunderbolt ports. It would be nice to have a 5k or 6k monitor that has Display Port 1.4 and maybe even HDMI 2.1 as well as USB-C.

I know you can buy the same 5k panels on Aliexpress that Apple uses in their 5k iMac and a driver board that has HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 ports. The problem is that I’d have to make my own enclosure for the bare panel and board. Would be cool if Eve could make a display that used the 5k panel with their awesome minimal enclosure and stand. Just a thought…

5 Likes

Trust me. I am in your same position. I would love to see the Spectrum QHD 280Hz upgraded to a QD-OLED or OLED WRGB-TADF panel + 5K resolution in the future. Is there a problem? There is more than one problem:

1. There is not enough bandwidth today for connectivity. Look at wikipedia both HDMI and Displayport DisplayPort - Wikipedia and HDMI - Wikipedia
  2. The technology has to mature even more.
  3. Eve has to look at how much the cost and maybe the demand will cost her. Although Spectrum was devised for multiple needs of many people. They are currently developing the QHD 280 Hz model. So there is a long time before another project is proposed.

Edit.: It is evident when they will update the panel, which it will integrate a native 10-bit panel or more.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about 280Hz 5k or 6k display. A 120Hz 5K would be great. But I’m saying we already have 60Hz 5k panel available.

I don’t think the people looking for a 5k or 6k display are looking for high refresh rates. High refresh is more for gaming and you wouldn’t want to push that many pixels for gaming anyways. I’m suggesting a 5k or 6k display for people who want more pixels and don’t need high refresh rate. An option for the people who like the Apple displays and the LG Ultrafine but want to have more ports than just Thunderbolt. You can do 5k 60Hz with Display Port 1.4 on a single cable and even an NVIDIA GTX 1080 from 2016 has DP 1.4.

3 Likes

Hi @James_Almeida,

I am not 100% sure about what kind of panel is available out there that is both 5K and has an above average refresh rate. But really, even if it is just 90 Hz, it is already quite a difference when compared to 60 Hz.

I guess one of the challenges at the moment is connectivity. We will need a high-quality cable to accommodate massive bandwidth.

Another issue will be… Well, the price.

1 Like

I would prefer an 8K monitor (even if just 60 Hz), but 5K and 6K monitors would be interesting in terms of integer (pixel-perfect) scaling too.

The 6K panel used in Pro Display XDR (6016×3384) is potentially much more flexible in terms of possible logical resolutions available with pixel-perfect (integer) scaling. It may be used at FHD (1920×1080) with 3x scaling, and at QHD (2560×1440) with 2x scaling, with some small black bars in both cases. That exact 32-inch panel seems too big for FHD though.

A 27-inch 5K (5120×2880) monitor would be quite interesting in terms of pixel density closer to (actually even higher than) that we had with 24-inch 4K monitors which are not produced anymore. And unlike 4K, at 200% OS-level zoom, we get screen estate of QHD instead of FHD. It’s 33% more pixels on each dimension, and 78% more screen space in terms of the total number of pixels. Such 5K monitor could be used at 5K (1x), QHD (2x), HD (4x) with no screen space lost, and even at FHD (2x) with 25% lost on each dimension.

3 Likes

I see 10K or 5K resolution as much more interesting, since they are resolutions for the use of computer monitors. Specifically in a size of 27 inches, because you will get a density of 200 ppi in the case of 5K or +300 ppi in the case of 10K. There are many people who ignore the benefit of very high resolutions at a smaller size. These people are usually those who have never experienced or bought a 1440p or 4K monitor in a small size

The moment they speak without knowing or having experienced, they lose all credibility. For a resolution like 4K, it makes more sense at a size like 24 inches or 21.5 inches (Apple’s old iMac). The idea is how high a resolution fits into a small size to get a high pixel density while still being able to scale down on Windows seamlessly. Because the ideal in my opinion (because it works), is to go from 200% to 100% and vice versa. There are even 2 interesting articles by the same Spanish writer explaining his experience with 5K monitors.

Thank you very much for inventing Pixel-perfect scaling (although there are old TVs that do something similar) @MT I have read your entire article on your website Pixel-perfect integer-ratio scaling with no blur (integer scaling) Personally, it seems to me a great and necessary function that must be integrated, yes or yes, with all the monitors on the market. My congratulations and my biggest support to you :heartpulse:

3 Likes

My argument is that there is already 27" 5k panels available on the market and driver boards with Display Port 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. That means we could have a 27" 5K display (60Hz) that a PC can use (using Display Port 1.4. HDMI 2.0 would only do 4K on PC I believe.) as well as a Mac. The reason I’m interested in this is because all the current 27" 5K displays are Thunderbolt only and that means they only really work well with a Mac but I want a 27" 5K display for Mac AND PC. And I’m ok if that means 60hz but eventually a 120Hz 27" 5K display would also be nice when that kind of panel is readily available.

3 Likes

Eve Spectrum 5K 27” glossy version for additional $100. It is going to sell better than the LG 5K Ultrafine for sure but EVE must keep the competitive price.

So technically EVE will have to implement DisplayPort 2.0 for adequate bandwidth if it need to support 120hz but it’s not a problem because most mid range GPU from Navi, Turing can support up to 8K resolution.

1 Like

Thunderbolt 3 is a bottleneck for 5K running at 120hz and it’s way behind in bandwidth for requiring more than 40gbps. EVE Spectrum 5K will need a two DisplayPort 1.4a for older gpu and just a single DisplayPort 2.0 for newer gpu.

1 Like

I would be interested in a 38" 8K 120hz display

I don’t know how to be more clear. I’m NOT asking for a 5k with higher than average refresh rate.

What I’m saying is that I want an option that is similar to the Apple Studio Display but with Display Port and HDMI. I don’t care if it’s only 60hz. The panel and board I linked in the original post is an example of a 27" 5K display (60hz) and the driver board I linked can run this display using a Display Port 1.4 for full 5K resolution. If someone could just make a decent enclosure for this panel and board we’d have a pretty great 5K monitor for people just looking for more pixels.

1 Like

I understand what you’re asking for but it seems a bit silly to me. If you are going to present a novelty only novelty, you should deliver more things. Really you are looking for an affordable 27" 5K monitor but it hasn´t senses. Even 4K monitors have been released more with 144Hz. 5K is even bigger than 4K because of the bandwidth + bits… A 5K monitor for editing should be native 10 bit at least. The LG Ultrafine is not cheap. I bet there are more people who bet not just more resolution. There are also the frequencies and the bits + functions. You must be realistic, nobody wanted to connect 2 displayport 1.4 xD there are more things that influence. Think about it. Apple will release more news with its iMac 27" 5K, that’s what there is unfortunately… I support your idea. But I would ask for more… And more considering that high resolutions are coming with better ones. Staying at 60 Hz is one step back…

Eve QD-OLED 4K 240Hz Monitor are you watching it? 5K 60 Hz shouldn’t just be that way. It is also necessary to let other technologies mature, complete the current development, the issue of costs and find out the demand.

1 Like

Hi @James_Almeida,

I was responding that way because you said that having 5K 120Hz would be great. I was just wondering if we do have any panels like that. Maybe not now, but for sure in the future!

I do agree that if the options for 5Ks out there are extremely limited, then being the first to accommodate 5K resolution and different port selection may be a great product to have:-)

2 Likes

I see. Thanks for all the responses. I think it helps to talk about these things in order to better understand what the realistic options are at the moment and also think about what’s coming in the near future.

I ordered the 5k panel and driver board I linked in the original post. Going to see how well it works and maybe, if it’s good, I will make my own enclosure for it. We’ll see how it goes. :man_shrugging: I’ll post something once they arrive in a couple weeks.

3 Likes

Hi @James_Almeida,

That sounds really cool! I’d love to see it when it is ready!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not the inventor of pixel-perfect scaling though (except being the author of the specific algorithm and its reference implementation). I’m just a fan and a sort of evangelist who tries to educate people about the blur issue and pixel-perfect (integer) scaling as the solution.

2 Likes

Interesting. I wonder how good the stock firmware of that board is and what upscaling quality it provides — whether there is unreasonable blur at integer scales (e.g. QHD→5K or HD→5K) in particular.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at what the firmware can do and post again here. I’m not very experienced in this kind of thing though so let me know if there’s anything in particular you’d like me to test and I can report back.

The display panel and board came in the other day. I attached it to a piece of plywood for now so I can test it out. Unfortunately my family is all
Sick right now so I will need to take a few days before I can work on this more.

So far it works great for PC (Win10) and Mac. It gets full 5K (60hz) using DisplayPort 1.4 cable and also does 5K on my MacBook Pro using Usb-C cable. It also came with a remote I can use to change inputs so that’s a nice bonus that wasn’t mentioned in the listing where I bought it. Here are some pictures so far.

3 Likes

Hi @James_Almeida,

Wow, that looks really cool. If I may know, what function does the remote offer aside from changing the video source?