Another personal review (16.12 Update: Video about writing experience and issues)

Hi guys, I got my V yesturday morning and since I saw that here is demand for reviews I will do my best to share my first impressions with you.

Unboxing
The unboxing experience was very good except some dust or dirt inside the box. Furthermore the white box around the V box was open. But all in all a really nice box and pretty good secured.

Housing and Kickstand
The housing and the overall quality is awesome. I really love the colour and the finish of the housing, it feels premium. The kickstand works fine for me although there is a little lash from the hinge and it’s not perfectly aligned with the upper housing. While I took the pictures I saw a tiny scratch on the bootom edge. But it is nothing major and so it’s no real issue for me. Another thing is that you can see many fingerprints on the housing but that is caused by the chosen colour. No problem for me.
To make it short the overall feeling and quality is great especially if we consider that it is Eve’s real first device.

Video of the lash of the kickstand (hard to show):

Picture of the not 100% aligned Kickstand in comparison to the upper case:

Screen
I’m not expert but in my opinion the screen is very good. Besides sharpness and colour and so on the brightness is one of the most important things for me. To make it short again the maximum screen brightness is really bright nobody should need more. Yesturday there was no sun here so I’n can’t tell you anything about the anti refelctive coating.
More important as the maximum brightness is the possible minimum for me. Fortunately the minimum brightness is low enough to use it in the dark and I think one can use it in the plane without illuminate the entire plane.

Keyboard and Trackpad
As a Macbook user (the last 10 years) I was highly concerned about the trackpad. Fortunately I’m disabused since it’s nice to use. It’s not that good as on the Mac but I think it’s as good as Windows allows to be (considering the size).
My overall keyboard impression is also good considering the V is a 2 in 1. What I really like are the three possible positions and the high solidity. If I remember correctly it was one issue in the prototype stage and the modified result is great.

Weight
In my opinion each and every gram is justified. The whole V and the keyboard is so solid and robust and I think it’s a great result from the tradeoff between solidity and weight.

Fingerprint Sensor
One word: Perfect

Speakers
For me it is hard to say where the excitement comes from since I think the sound is minimum acceptable. Although It is true that they struggle a bit at high volume.
All in all the speakers are good enough for me to watch some movies on netflix. As I read other reviews I was highly concerned but maybe their units have some hardware issues.

Pen
The pen experience isn’t that good so far and I think the reason is most likely the palm rejection. I hope we can improve it over the time but for notetaking it is usable. I also have recognized that it depends on the App which is used for writing. For example Drawboard PDF works much better for than OneNote.
The magnet is as expected and works fine for storing the pen while staying at the same place. I would wish that I could store it on the left side too.

Battery Life
I will catch it up when I used it some more days. As far as I can see 10 hours with surfing, office and wifi should be possible. Please ask if I forget to update this topic.

Short Conclusion
I’m very happy that I waited the year :grin:.
Thanks @Team :tada::confetti_ball::kissing_heart:

Feel free to aks questions.

I have also a few questions and maybe some Windows pros can answer.

1. Is there any way to enable the “three finger drag” gesture?
  2. Is it possible to speed up the two finger scrolling?
**Short overview of my accessories (all listet items work fine)**

Caution! It seems like that just one of the USB C ports of the V works fine with the dongle/hub (first one in the following list)

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071L6GTD2
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01I2TTCTK
https://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-Android-microSDXC-Speicherkarte-SD-Adapter/dp/B013UDL5HU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513168003&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+sd+karte+ultra
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07339XGWB
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01NH05UET
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LWVH4D4/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT
1.About the screen:
With black backgrounds I can see a bit of backlight bleeding at the bottom of the screen but I no real problem. I think each LCD screen has it.

1. About the often discussed lapability:
    The V is far more comfortable on my lap than I ever hoped. Really excited about it.

Comparison of the V’s screen and the Galaxy Tab Pro S (Amoled)
Sorry for the mediocre foto quality. But I think one can see the difference in reflections and brightness.

Front with low brightness

Front with high brightness

Side with low brightness

Side with high brightnes

Pen "issues"
I want to share the experience I’ve made with the Pen so far. It’s a bit strange because at the beginning of a writing session everything works fine (except some minor palm problems) and after a period of writing on the V it changes to a pretty bad experience. There are very much not well recognized letters (or parts of letters). It’s not a matter of background tasks or workload related. I tried it with some workload in the background (Videos and Tabs refreshing, updates) and without (additional flight mode) and there is no difference.
I made a video which shows the problems I have. At the start of the video I’ve written already quite a bit and then the issue occurs.
If the issue occurs I have to give the V a break and after some time it works fine again.
Is it a problem with OneNote (2016) or is the workload of writing too much? I will retest it with other software but today I haven’t time for it.
Just to inform you in the video I used the Bamboo Ink Pen but it’s the same problem with the V pen so no difference (except the writing felling).
PS. The video is recorded before I installed today’s driver update.

The other problem is the palm rejection. I will maybe make a video for it as well.
The thing is that if I lay my hand down on the screen the V without the pen it zomms in and out and so on. Totally normal and ok. But for me it is strange that if I then hold the pen directly above the screen (1-2mm) the zomming doesn’t stop. On my old Samsung Galaxy Note 10 the palm rejection starts working in the moment the pen is in range of detection of the screen.
Why is this scenarion relevant? Because it occurs that your motion is not perfectly executed and your hand is a liitle bit too early on the screen. If the pen would be preferred as input device over the hand (which on my Samsung tablet is the case) it would work immedeately at the moment the pen is in reach.

Are there other V owners which have noticed the same or similar issues?

Just to make it clear this is no whining or complaining. I just want to share my experience so that we can improve the V to the point near perfection :+1::ok_hand:.

Community Digest 15.12
Pen, V and etc Feel

It is a windows precision trackpad so everything is adjustable through standard windows settings and you should be able to adjust the scrolling speed there. Hope this helps

I saw the settings but I just can choose if I want to use two finger scrolling or not but unfortunately not the speed

Indeed. Great, thak you very much :ok_hand::kissing_heart:

I just have searched in the trackpad settings

Not that I know of, for the windows precision devices you can use double-tap (not clicks) and don’t release on second tap. That way you can drag anything across the screen

Yeah, and it should be named “scroll speed” not lines :wink:

You can completely customize the gestures on Windows Precision Trackpads. Open “Touchpad” in settings, and “Advanced Gesture Configuration” on the right side. You can literally do nearly anything, set custom shortcuts!

Thanks for your hint. I will try it later when I’m at home.

do you know if there’s anyway to disable the edge swipes?
the “swipe from top edge to revert from maximum” is freaking annoying

Disabling 'swipe from edge' gestures

Backup Current Registry:

Open regedit.exe > File > Export > save backup.reg somewhere

To disable these gestures:

Step 1: Copy the following registry code in Notepad and then save the file as Touch.reg file. Make sure that you save the file with .reg extension.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
“ActionType”=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]

Step 2: Double-click on Touch.reg file, click Yes for the prompt, and then click Ok.

Step 3: Reboot your Windows 10 PC to disable the above mentioned gestures.

To enable these disabled gestures again, follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Copy the below registry code in Notebook, save it as TouchEnable.reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
“ActionType”=dword:00000002
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]

Step 2: Double-click on the file, click Yes, and then click Ok when you see confirmation message.

Step 3: Reboot your computer.

Is this specifically for the V? because I just tried it with my Chuwi Hi10+ included keyboard and the edge swipes are still there

I added some pictures and a video of the housing and the kickstand as well as a comparison between the V screen and the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S (Amoled) in my first post. Maybe someone is interested

I can confirm that the Surface Pro 3 and 4 wobbles in the same manner, if not worse. I think it is quite necessary to prevent wear and tear

Yeah I think you’re right. Just hope that it won’t increase over time. But for now it works perfectly.

Nice review @Maximo, thank you for the description and photos!

I see you had tested a few docks with the V.
Can you please recommend a dock which would allow dual monitor connection simultaneously connecting two monitors and having extended desktop on them from the V?

This is something I haven´t seen in any reviews or Tests yet. But I think a lot of Users would be using it this way too.

You seem to have the same dock (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071L6GTD2) as I. Does your dock work fine in the upper USB-C port?

For me I am having a strange problem that my monitor (connected to the dock with HDMI) wont work if the dock is connected to the upper USB-C port.

Maybe it’s the looseness of the port itself?

Well the port doesn’t feel loose. And it does recognize that something has been plugged in.

Fair enough!