Hey everyone!! Here’s a complete revamp of this thread!
I came here to ask you all if we could crowdbuild an Android smartphone just like we are doing with the project codenamed pyramid flipper (the Eve V!).
I was thinking about making a “custom-made Surface Phone” (the secretly developing project from the Surface team that is rumored but may not even exist haha) in the sense that it would be as we wish.
This is more of a concept. A high-end one for that matter. Why? First, Eve’s way of doing business (not having middle men) works best with high-end devices. Second, we all know that tech enthusiasts are crazy
I heavily adapted the post to reflect Microsoft’s departure from Windows Phone/Windows Mobile.
Here’s a list of possible features the device could have so it’s easier to track down. The ones that are most important to me are in bold.
- OS: Android with latest version
- Processor: latest top-tier Snapdragon; Exynos top-of-the-line;
- Dual Sim capability (independent or not of the micro SD card)
- Micro SD card (depending on the internal storage) up to 2TB with, if supported, adoptable storage.
- Water and Dust proof; maybe certified MIL-STD-810
- Great Front and Rear cameras with triple led flash for more natural exposures and OIS for the rear one; physical camera button on the right side is a must-have. The rear can have dual cameras.
- Removable back/battery
- Wireless Charging
- Quick Charging
- Latest Bluetooth spec
- USB-C (supporting audio out) - full USB (3.1)
- 3.5mm audio connector
- Iris scanning/fingerprint scanning (on the back)
- Internal storage - 32GB/64GB/128GB
- High-fidelity recording
- 4GB/8GB RAM (would be nice!)
- Fantastic 5.0’’/5.5’’ Display with slim bezels! (FHD, QHD maximum - there’s no substantial gain with the increased number of pixels and it takes a powerful toll on your phone’s performance and battery) - OLED? Transreflective? PSR? IGZO?Other?
- QWERTY physical keyboard (like Blackberry ones)
- 3D touch
- Security features
- Enterprise features
- Wacom Stylus
- Compatible with the Eve V dock
- 4000mAh battery
- Great audio components (DAC, Dual Front Facing Speakers…)
- No Bloatware
- Headphone jack. I’ve not yet decided if it is a must-have or almost that. If we could have a reliable adapter from USB C to USB C and Headphone jack it would be enough.
Imagine if we could get that with good repairability - I mean, being able to repair the screen if it shatters for 50 or even 100$ would be better than most.
The Razer phone is probably the phone that I consider closest to what I would want. I love everything from the design (even if we have those bezels!) to the 120Hz display. But there are a couple things I would improve on it:
- Camera quality + button (could be addressed with software)
- Volume and Power buttons (please don’t make them like that again! It doesn’t look at all nice in my opinion)
- Headphone jack
- Vibration engine (have you heard it rattle in MKBHD??)
P.S. The idea of crowdbuilding a WP [now turned into android] isn’t mine. I took it from one of Windows Central’s comments (from user spider-rocket) and thought it was a very cool idea we could pursue.
That’s it folks!